Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lillehuntrix

Potential damage indicator as incoming torpedo alert

6 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,364 battles

I enjoy exploring really marginal game mechanics.  So sue me.

Now that we have a potential damage indicator in game, the question I asked myself is whether it is possible for this damage indicator to serve as an indicator that undetected torpedoes had passed your ship, thus also suggesting that more might be incoming.  This question was occasioned, of course, by the Asashio.  TLDR: The answer appears to be yes, but only in an extremely narrow - nay, infinitesimally narrow circumstance of virtually no practical use.

Potential damage is defined as shells/torps that hit your ship or miss within a specified distance.  For torpedoes at least, I believe that distance (based on something SubOctavian said) is 700 meters.  So if torpedoes with a detection range below 700m miss your ship between their detection range and 700m, you should see the potential damage meter tick up, and if there is nothing else shooting at you at the time, that could be an indication that one torp spread has missed you and more torps could be incoming.

So at higher tiers, at least, are there any ships with sub-700m detection torpedoes?  PA DD torp detection bottoms out with the Chung Mu stock torps, which are listed as 0.7km - due to rounding that could mean slightly below or above 700m exactly.  The dreaded Asashio is 0.9km.  But the Khabarovsk with its new 6km torps now has 0.6km detection on those torps.

So, highly theoretically, it is possible that a Khabarovsk could launch torpedoes at you (in smoke or concealed behind an island), and your first indication that torpedoes had passed and that the Khaba was there would be the move of your potential damage indicator.  Now, of course, usually when you are within torpedo range of a Khabarovsk you are alerted to that fact by other things - that you are on fire, for instance, or the maniacal activity of your secondary gun crews.  But in theory, yeah.

This does, I think, suggest that 700m detection might be the floor for any future useful torpedoes (dwt or otherwise) introduced in the game, because there is a point at which potential damage would become a tell.

• Funny 3

[DAY]
Members
1,179 posts
11,719 battles

gave me a good chuckle

love these extreme case game mechanism scenario 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles
11 minutes ago, Lillehuntrix said:

So, highly theoretically, it is possible that a Khabarovsk could launch torpedoes at you (in smoke or concealed behind an island), and your first indication that torpedoes had passed and that the Khaba was there would be the move of your potential damage indicator. 

I suspect the next thing that happens is that your potential damage indicator kicks way up as the second salvo impacts (at which point your incoming torpedo indicator has already been screaming at you for a couple of seconds before you die). However, if he's concealed behind an island he's not going to be able to torp you, and IIRC the most likely way to die to a Khabarovsk is to be hosed down with high-explosive gunfire.

Members
2,384 posts
7,685 battles

So, this potential damage indicator was a nerf to Khab torps? REALLY WG??? BUFF KHAB NOW!!! ITS UNPLAYABLE!!!!! :Smile_izmena:

Sign in to follow this