You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
UssIowaSailor

I need help from the Destroyer Community.

19 comments in this topic

Members
1,512 posts
10 battles

I am a battleship player, almost 70% of my games are in Battleships. I have been playing since closed Beta and honestly I am a little bored right now. I have never played Destroyers so I figure I am going to try to learn to play destroyers. In my opinion, really strong destroyer players have the most impact on the outcome of the game. How your team's destroyers perform, so goes your team. So my questions are what line of DD's do you recommend for beginners? I know I have to choose between a gunboat and a torpedo boat. Which type has a bigger impact on the game? I know if I am going Torpedo boat, go IJN. What about gunboat? Are the Russian DD's the best gunboats. Any info on skills and tactics for beginners would be appreciated.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,461 posts
3,895 battles

Russian destroyers are more like light cruisers, run-and-gun. USN and German destroyers are different flavors of knife fighters, close-range cap duelists. Germans in particular have comparable guns but weaker torpedoes and in mid-tiers, get the long range German hydro.

Ze Germans seem to be the popular pick lately.

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
191 posts
3,553 battles

With 10 battles to your count (according to your forums profile) I take it you bought your battleships.

I've only done free playing so I've had to work up to what I have now (mostly in IJN cruisers).

I'd say do some free playing in co-op with various nations destroyers to get a feel for fast ships with much lighter armament in guns but also with potent torpedoes. 

The IJN destroyers generally have the best torpedoes but as KiyoSenkan has already posted the Russian ships are like light cruisers and I think the Russian boats are the fastest of destroyers.

Generally I think you'll find you'll need to practice rapid course changes to take advantage of destroyers speeds while operating your guns and torpedoes. Everything has to work faster when using a destroyer, in my experiences. 

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,456 posts
8,165 battles
4 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

I am a battleship player, almost 70% of my games are in Battleships. I have been playing since closed Beta and honestly I am a little bored right now. I have never played Destroyers so I figure I am going to try to learn to play destroyers. In my opinion, really strong destroyer players have the most impact on the outcome of the game. How your team's destroyers perform, so goes your team. So my questions are what line of DD's do you recommend for beginners? I know I have to choose between a gunboat and a torpedo boat. Which type has a bigger impact on the game? I know if I am going Torpedo boat, go IJN. What about gunboat? Are the Russian DD's the best gunboats. Any info on skills and tactics for beginners would be appreciated.

I really love the US and German DD lines. Both are fun and can get the adrenaline pumping. Very exhilarating. 
Patience in a DD will bring great rewards. I think knowing your boats strengths and weaknesses is much more
important in a DD,  than any other class of ship in the game.

Members
66 posts
2,037 battles

Most of the Russian destroyers torpedo range is 4km. That mean, the risk increase considerably by many situations. Artillery is fine and powerful.  

Members
1,512 posts
10 battles
22 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

With 10 battles to your count (according to your forums profile) I take it you bought your battleships.

I've only done free playing so I've had to work up to what I have now (mostly in IJN cruisers).

I'd say do some free playing in co-op with various nations destroyers to get a feel for fast ships with much lighter armament in guns but also with potent torpedoes. 

The IJN destroyers generally have the best torpedoes but as KiyoSenkan has already posted the Russian ships are like light cruisers and I think the Russian boats are the fastest of destroyers.

Generally I think you'll find you'll need to practice rapid course changes to take advantage of destroyers speeds while operating your guns and torpedoes. Everything has to work faster when using a destroyer, in my experiences. 

This is my alt account, on my main account, I have 5k battles so no I did not buy my battleships. I am a high-level BB player but I have played them so much I am just a bit burned out now and am looking for a new challenge.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,864 posts
4,162 battles
33 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

USN DD's. 

Gives you a taste of all aspects of destroyer play, once you determine what you like the most, you can then go into one of the more specialized lines. 

USN DD's are gun boats, torp boats, support boats all wrapped into 1 nice package. 

• Cool 2

[-GPF-]
Members
768 posts
4,107 battles
2 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

USN DD's. 

Gives you a taste of all aspects of destroyer play, once you determine what you like the most, you can then go into one of the more specialized lines. 

USN DD's are gun boats, torp boats, support boats all wrapped into 1 nice package. 

^^

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,055 posts
14,116 battles

At high tiers:

• RUn and gun
  • DEstroy caps with hydro
  • PAin the butt DWTs and eternal smoke
  • USeful in any situation
  • nIJNja torp line OR raIJN' ROF with Akizuki line
  • Cool 2

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,076 posts
6,263 battles

I recommend IJN only because you can learn a bit more when you are limited in options. The same can be said for other nations. IJN will have great concealment and torpedoes but horrible guns so you learn to not shoot. Problem with this is that they need to shoot but most players will only use torpedoes USN and other nations have good guns but lower concealment and torpedoes so they have to get close or use surprise attacks. All I can say is just try them all out.

Edited by Vangm94

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,076 posts
6,263 battles

These are my Fubuki Videos. You can compare how I have changed with the Updates:

These are my Fletcher Videos. I've adapted my IJN Tactics onto her:

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,540 posts
14,692 battles

You mentioned getting bored.  Try them all.  Each nation has a nice flavor.  Lots of variety.  Once you get through T5, you can concentrate on the one that you like most.

Or possibly, review the youtube clips from the CCs, and listen to how they discuss the play style.  See a style you fancy...go there.   

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Members
1,116 posts
14,427 battles

For DDs I really enjoy the pure torpedo boats. Either my Isokaze or Kamikaze gets played at least once a day. I also keep the German V-170 around for the same reason... those forward firing torps are a fun twist.

As others have said all the lines have different flavors with both nations and sometimes between tiers.

DDs were the last class of ships I started playing but once you start playing them you shouldn't get bored... although the constant adrenaline rush of DD play might not be for everyone. Finishing a game on the edge of your seat with hands shaking and heart pounding is fun if it happens only now and again.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1 hour ago, UssIowaSailor said:

The thing that IJN DDs have taught me is how spotting mechanics with DDs really work, and how vulnerable you can be if you don't watch them carefully.   At early tiers, you don't get that same flavor with other DDs, except maybe in the Pan-Asian line.  On the other hand, IJN DDs can be a lot of fun, but it's a complete different style of play.  

US DDs are nicely hybrid, except that they have short range torps at lower tiers, so you can't stealth torp.  Clemsons are a ton of fun.

RU DDs run and gun and a lone battleship is meat on the table at low tiers.  Turn on the boost, shoot torps at 2 km, and run circles around him while setting him on fire, in case you need your (fast) torp reload.  Usually his turrets can't move fast enough.

German DDs are hybrids like the US ones, but, different.  Can't quite put my finger on it.  

Edited by mavfin87

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

To "learn" Destroyer, pick up USN. It teaches you the lessons you will need moving forward that you will then build upon with other Destroyer nations. The DD Mafia will certainly help you out around here, and the Destroyer sub forums can also be a decent wealth of info and all questions are always answered.

Fair seas!

[UEFN]
Members
825 posts
15,566 battles

I have the Khab, Shima, Gearing, Yueyang, and Z-52.    They all have different strengths and weaknesses, but if I could only keep one DD it would be the Gearing, it is an excellent gun boat with great torpedoes, the swiss army knife of DD.

[DRACS]
Members
4,332 posts

USN DDs are by far the most newbie friendly destroyers as they are the perfect middle ground hybrid. Strong guns, but not the best guns. Strong torpedoes, but not the best torpedoes. Great concealment, but not the best concealment. Best agility overall,  and many come with Defensive AA as an option.

USN DDs will teach you how to play DDs properly (hopefully). From there, then you can decide if you'd like to try other flavors.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[SYN]
Members
830 posts
7,968 battles
5 hours ago, UssIowaSailor said:

I know I have to choose between a gunboat and a torpedo boat.

They are really easy to play through Tier 4. Try more than one. I tried the USN and wasn't doing much better than in CL. I got a couple of ARP captains that were released to the IJN, so I tried that line. It is a really fun line, some ups and downs, but I have more winners than losers. IJN does take patience, as someone noted.