Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ClassicLib

Opinions on Kidd in Ranked this season

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

361
[INTEL]
Members
1,392 posts
10,071 battles

I've only played Cruisers and the Alabama so far and I'm going to take the Kidd out this week.  I've seen mostly Lo Yang and Kagero with a Harekaze thrown in. 

For those that have taken the Kidd out, what's your experience been?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,927
[-K-]
Members
6,096 posts
10,230 battles

I used Akizuki for my T8 Ranks, but Kidd can be a very tough opponent due to her longevity with the heal she has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,503
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,179 posts
10,504 battles

IIRC Kidd turned out to be pretty weak last season and quickly fell out of favor. 

Lo Yang turned out to be the favorite among many. The hydro is very powerful.

Kidd’s AA is basically useless in ranked and people focus fire much more. You rarely get to use all the heals. It’s torpedo armament is also a big negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
372
[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles
5 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

I've only played Cruisers and the Alabama so far and I'm going to take the Kidd out this week.  I've seen mostly Lo Yang and Kagero with a Harekaze thrown in. 

For those that have taken the Kidd out, what's your experience been?

 

Haven’t played her in Ranked yet, but she will be formidable if you have a CV in the match. I’d definitely take her over the C hull Benson if you’re worried about them. 

Otherwise, I think it depends. In the cap duel, you’re trading torpedoes for health and speed. You’ve also decided health pool and excellent gun handling is more important than the hydro on the Z-23 and Lo Yang. Basically you are loosing your punch against capital ships and planning to bash the opposing DDs to death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
145 posts
4,325 battles
Just now, HazardDrake said:

IIRC Kidd turned out to be pretty weak last season and quickly fell out of favor. 

Lo Yang turned out to be the favorite among many. The hydro is very powerful.

Kidd’s AA is basically useless in ranked and people focus fire much more. You rarely get to use all the heals. It’s torpedo armament is also a big negative.

I only pull the Kidd out when there are CVs in the queue.  That one torpedo launcher is a real negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,503
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,179 posts
10,504 battles
Just now, Torpin said:

I only pull the Kidd out when there are CVs in the queue.  That one torpedo launcher is a real negative.

It’s the one launcher combined with the reload speed. If it had half the reload it does or it had Fletcher torps, then it might be okay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
371
[SUCIT]
Members
1,018 posts
4,261 battles
21 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

I've only played Cruisers and the Alabama so far and I'm going to take the Kidd out this week.  I've seen mostly Lo Yang and Kagero with a Harekaze thrown in. 

For those that have taken the Kidd out, what's your experience been?

 

I've been carrying the hell out of teams with my Kidd.  You win virtually every DD 1v1 you get, and if you win those, you win the game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
361
[INTEL]
Members
1,392 posts
10,071 battles
2 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

It’s the one launcher combined with the reload speed. If it had half the reload it does or it had Fletcher torps, then it might be okay. 

I mostly play IJN destroyers so I'm accustomed to relying on stealth and torpedoes.  I haven't played the Kidd much overall but when I've encountered a Lo Yang I of course get eaten alive.   Not looking forward to that.  Normally I can avoid those matchups but I'm thinking in Ranked it  will be more difficult to do with one DD a side and the importance of capping.   The one map where the Kidd my shine is the one with the B Cap embedded in the A Cap.  I would expect the Kidd would have a big advantage there with a 'captive' audience.

Just speculating and I'll give it a go and see what I see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
486 posts

I only played a few games this ranked season, but have exclusively used the Kidd. The torp load out is a bit of a drag when compared to the Benson (or IJNs), but the guns and the heal are game changers. I have completely dominated the Loyangs I've faced, since their hydro is really only useful if they have cruisers nearby to help them out. I consider the torps as nice-to-haves, but stick to using them in limited scenarios. Instead, I focus on spotting and pouring fire on hapless DDs. I even lucked out and faced a CV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
361
[INTEL]
Members
1,392 posts
10,071 battles
14 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

I haven't played the Kidd much overall but when I've encountered a Lo Yang I of course get eaten alive.

I said this poorly.  What I meant was encountering a Lo Yang in a IJN DD usually ends poorly for me unless I can disengage. 

 

12 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

I only played a few games this ranked season, but have exclusively used the Kidd. The torp load out is a bit of a drag when compared to the Benson (or IJNs), but the guns and the heal are game changers. I have completely dominated the Loyangs I've faced, since their hydro is really only useful if they have cruisers nearby to help them out. I consider the torps as nice-to-haves, but stick to using them in limited scenarios. Instead, I focus on spotting and pouring fire on hapless DDs. I even lucked out and faced a CV.

That's what I'm hoping for.  I see a lot of Lo Yangs in Ranked and I expect the Kidd to fare better up against them than the IJNs that I typically drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6
[-UCS-]
Members
71 posts
6,935 battles

my battles with kidd this season went either really well, or really bad.  It can usually win 1v1 DD battles, but when it runs in to dakadaka(akizuki) its special heal is not enough to carry it to victory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
161
[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles

I didn’t play it but a few games this ranked season. Last season it did really well for me even though I got a late start. You can win 1v1 with any DD unless you are within 5.5km (5.6km?) of a Loyang. Just make sure you engage any Loyang from out of their hydro range and don’t smoke up until he is destroyed. Heal is amazing and the AA is nice when a CV tried to perma spot you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
361
[INTEL]
Members
1,392 posts
10,071 battles
6 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I didn’t play it but a few games this ranked season. Last season it did really well for me even though I got a late start. You can win 1v1 with any DD unless you are within 5.5km (5.6km?) of a Loyang. Just make sure you engage any Loyang from out of their hydro range and don’t smoke up until he is destroyed. Heal is amazing and the AA is nice when a CV tried to perma spot you. 

Thanks for that.  Any advantage to be gained by using something other than an AA specific build and captain skills?  I understand that against a CV a good AA build will be more effective but what about a different build for most of the battles where I won't see a CV?  I would think that the base Kidd AA would be good enough when a CV is in the battle.  Thinking of dropping DFAA and AFT in favor of some others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
334
[MIA-E]
Beta Testers
1,165 posts
10,929 battles
Just now, ClassicLib said:

Thanks for that.  Any advantage to be gained by using something other than an AA specific build and captain skills?  I understand that against a CV a good AA build will be more effective but what about a different build for most of the battles where I won't see a CV?  I would think that the base Kidd AA would be good enough when a CV is in the battle.  Thinking of dropping DFAA and AFT in favor of some others.

correct, CVs are so rare on NA server, you might be better served

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,484
[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,847 posts
4,145 battles
15 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Thanks for that.  Any advantage to be gained by using something other than an AA specific build and captain skills?  I understand that against a CV a good AA build will be more effective but what about a different build for most of the battles where I won't see a CV?  I would think that the base Kidd AA would be good enough when a CV is in the battle.  Thinking of dropping DFAA and AFT in favor of some others.

Ofcourse..Just a standard cap contesting build.  IMO its the strongest tier 8 DD . 

 

PT  / PM

LS 

DE / BFT / SE / SI 

CE

 

= Wreck any other Tier 8 DD 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
87
[PSV]
Members
483 posts
14,181 battles

I think the Kidd is perfectly viable. With all the guns and the heal it's great for contesting caps.

However, it's no Lo Yang. That long range on the Lo Yang's hydro allows it to dominate caps like no other DD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

As I see it, the Kidd's main advantage is it allows to you trade hp unfavorably and still win the fight, simply because you can heal and they cant.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,503
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,179 posts
10,504 battles

“Kidd is great against Lo Yang when you are 1v1”

Okay, what happens the other 9 times out of 10 when the enemy team isn’t island humping? Smoke and Hydro win the day.

That second launcher is a huge advantage for the Lo Yang. If you are trying to use all 5 guns on Kidd then you are setting yourself up to eat a torpedo. Don’t say it doesn’t happen. I do it to other DDs and have it happen to me often enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,503
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,179 posts
10,504 battles
1 hour ago, Kevs02Accord said:

As I see it, the Kidd's main advantage is it allows to you trade hp unfavorably and still win the fight, simply because you can heal and they cant.

The problem is that such a tactic only works once per game. 

You are then effectively out of the match for about 3 minutes while you use a few heal charges to get back to 3/4 health. With only one launcher and a bad reload you can’t even stealth torp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
161
[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
2 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

Thanks for that.  Any advantage to be gained by using something other than an AA specific build and captain skills?  I understand that against a CV a good AA build will be more effective but what about a different build for most of the battles where I won't see a CV?  I would think that the base Kidd AA would be good enough when a CV is in the battle.  Thinking of dropping DFAA and AFT in favor of some others.

I can look later and make sure but I think PT, SE, SI, AR, CE, BFT are the most needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
361
[INTEL]
Members
1,392 posts
10,071 battles

Went 2 - 1 last night.  One of the wins I felt like I contributed to the win (top XP) and the other, not so much.  The one loss was all of us sucking and the red team playing the map better.

The one good game was not enough to get a good feel if this was a one off as it was a solo cap run followed by area denial and turning the BB's broadside.  That's my typical IJN DD play and it worked in this one instance.  I don't feel like I particularly played the Kidd to her strengths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
499 posts
12,103 battles

I used the Kidd and NC and got to Rank 10 quickly.

With regard to the Kidd, keep in mind she is a cap control/DD hunter. Unlike other DDs, her ability to deal with BBs is very weak. In addition, you have to be careful on how you handle a Lo Yang. Essentially, you have to bait it to (1) smoke up, and (2) engage it's hydro. A bad Lo Yang driver will get cocky and try to hunt you, which is what you want. The Kidd can trade hits with a Lo Yang and come out on top. If a Lo Yang beats you to the cap, then you have to be patient and wait fort it's Hydro to end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,484
[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,847 posts
4,145 battles
37 minutes ago, Captain_Doll said:

I used the Kidd and NC and got to Rank 10 quickly.

With regard to the Kidd, keep in mind she is a cap control/DD hunter. Unlike other DDs, her ability to deal with BBs is very weak. In addition, you have to be careful on how you handle a Lo Yang. Essentially, you have to bait it to (1) smoke up, and (2) engage it's hydro. A bad Lo Yang driver will get cocky and try to hunt you, which is what you want. The Kidd can trade hits with a Lo Yang and come out on top. If a Lo Yang beats you to the cap, then you have to be patient and wait fort it's Hydro to end.

What I normally do is bait out the hydro, roll back into cap and get right into its smoke firing bloom and open up from very close. Usually its not expected and I haven't encountered a Lo yang yet who doesn't blow hydro early and get caught after i roll back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×