You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Varyag - hilarious co-op fun potential with secondary-spec captains.

14 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
10,318 posts
6,757 battles

I badly wanted to put my 10-point Svietlana captain with Priority Target, Last Stand, BFT, AFT  into the Varyag, then I remembered she has 6-inch guns and no 130mm option.

And THEN I remembered she has 76.2mm secondaries, and quite a few of them. Suddenly, putting the Svietlana captain into her didn't seem like such a terrible waste.

So I did this, and took her into a co-op battle last night, and the secondaries were going off everywhere. It wasn't much of a battle - only 27,000 damage, but the secondaries were about 7,000 of that. They were going off constantly.

I would add either IFHE or Demolition Expert into this mix, but I don't have a captain of the relevant skill level yet. It could be made even better if you put in Adrenaline Rush, but I've lost my rudder and/or engine in these low tier cruisers too often to want to give up Last Stand right away and I don't want to throw doubloons or elite captain XP at a re-spec just to try that out.

I wouldn't waste skill points on manual secondary fire control. The whole point of this experiment is that the secondaries are going off on their own and doing damage to enemies you're not even focused on.

More work is required and I will be reporting back on my own progress. For now she's a great fun change of pace from high-tier random (and occasional ranked) battles.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
6,130 posts
10,294 battles

Isn't the secondary range only something like 3km?

[RLGN]
Members
10,099 posts
19,503 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

2.5 before any mods.

May put my Groz 19 pointer in her for laughs and giggles.

May also use her as a Co-op only ship.

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
45 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

May also use her as a Co-op only ship.

Well so far I have been having a lot of fun with the Varyag. It does petty good in Co-Op, just got to watch out for those BBs.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,318 posts
6,757 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

AFT does increase it 20%, then you have to follow Lando Calrissian's advice to Admiral Ackbar at the Battle of Endor.

Plus they start fires, and we all know that bots (and newbies) extinguish at the first fire. You can see where this is leading, can't you? :cap_rambo:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,379 posts
10,928 battles

I have had good success in randoms with her too.

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Well that might be because of your skill, or the shock value of you bringing the Varyag in Random :cap_haloween:LOL:cap_haloween:

Once I get my Captain a little high I might give random a go in it. Tier 3 at 2AM EST, sounds fun!

[CVA16]
Members
3,159 posts
11,042 battles
9 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Once I get my Captain a little high I might give random a go in it.

The captain or the player?

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
Just now, Sabot_100 said:

The captain or the player?

The Captain, that came with it.

I know I do not play Random a lot, I just jump in once in while to keep the game fresh.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,379 posts
10,928 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

3 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Well that might be because of your skill, or the shock value of you bringing the Varyag in Random :cap_haloween:LOL:cap_haloween:

Once I get my Captain a little high I might give random a go in it. Tier 3 at 2AM EST, sounds fun!

I was using the 14 point captain from my Shchors. It isn't as tough as the St Louis so you can't trade punches with it so you have to dance and make the enemy miss.

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
18 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I was using the 14 point captain from my Shchors. It isn't as tough as the St Louis so you can't trade punches with it so you have to dance and make the enemy miss.

Yeah it does dance will good.