Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Cornholus

Five-Stars on Killer Whale Lost for want of people on point

49 comments in this topic

Members
26 posts

Just Curious:

Has anyone else noticed a higher incident of teams failing Killer Whale by simply failing to get ships into the exfiltration point? Last time it was around, it happened maybe once to me that the team failed to win the operation for that reason (couple of times, we all got sunk). Now, I have had several occasions where the team has earned five star, we have all or most of our tubs unsunk, and then many players seems to forget or ignores that we lose everything if we don't get half the ships to the exfiltration point. Is it just me? Or is this old man seeing a pattern that others be seeing? 

[TBW]
Members
7,448 posts
13,614 battles

It has been noticed and no matter how much you type to them they don't read.

[SOUP]
Privateers
8,284 posts

Reading tends to be a difficult subject for some, but they usually figure it out after failing a few times

[PVE]
Members
2,903 posts
21,541 battles

Reading...can you link me to a video of somebody doing it so I can "see" what you're talking about...cause I just don't get it?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,804 posts
10,303 battles

This happened to me recently.

Spoiler

Except we were a full clan div on comms :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[SOUP]
Privateers
8,284 posts
5 minutes ago, pikohan said:

This happened to me recently.

Hide contents

Except we were a full clan div on comms :Smile_hiding:

Just a typical day in [SYN]   ;P

[HYDRO]
Members
2,868 posts
4,596 battles

I am of the habit nowadays of pinging the map for a bit at the evacuation point  after it is shown, it seems to work most of the time.

[ZR]
Privateers, Supertester
685 posts
5,390 battles

As long as you get a team that know what they are doing, it should easy as cake. Cases where you get clueless teammates.... well, I can't say much about that. I normally play full divisions for operations with a bunch of other people on Discord. Had a straightforward 5 star on Killer Whale today.

Also afaik you only need half of the alive team to make it into the zone, so if there's only two left alive you only need 1 in the zone. 

[4HIM]
Members
2,225 posts
6,552 battles

Lost it a couple times when most of the team just YOLO's past the forts and goes for ship kills in the harbor.  By the time I and the other two team mates clear them out, we're the only three left alive.  And at that point we still have to kill off the BB and Hosho in the port. I guess the ones who died just did a YOLO charge to do what, sink some of the support ships?

[VOP]
Members
383 posts
7,458 battles

Most people who have already 5 star'd the mission have gotten their big rewards already and they do not play to the objectives for others. They just go into it to farm stars and kill ships because that is what gets you more stars. It is not really fair to not play to the objectives for the whole group. WG should reset the big rewards every 6 months or so. That way every one is playing for the complete goal so people can get them again.

[RLGN]
Members
10,125 posts
19,511 battles
2 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Lost it a couple times when most of the team just YOLO's past the forts and goes for ship kills in the harbor.  By the time I and the other two team mates clear them out, we're the only three left alive.  And at that point we still have to kill off the BB and Hosho in the port. I guess the ones who died just did a YOLO charge to do what, sink some of the support ships?

They died to those stupid Kolbergs, the V-101, the Nassau, and the Forts?

That’s pathetic.

1 hour ago, USMCGal said:

Most people who have already 5 star'd the mission have gotten their big rewards already and they do not play to the objectives for others. They just go into it to farm stars and kill ships because that is what gets you more stars. It is not really fair to not play to the objectives for the whole group. WG should reset the big rewards every 6 months or so. That way every one is playing for the complete goal so people can get them again.

Probably...

I am not most.

I play to maximize my xp, but also TO WIN.

A win should be its own reward; 5,000 xp or more in what’s basically a glorified Co-op game? With the potential modified captains and elite xp?

Seems like reward enough to me.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,445 posts
10,156 battles
6 hours ago, Lord_Cornholus said:

Just Curious:

Has anyone else noticed a higher incident of teams failing Killer Whale by simply failing to get ships into the exfiltration point? Last time it was around, it happened maybe once to me that the team failed to win the operation for that reason (couple of times, we all got sunk). Now, I have had several occasions where the team has earned five star, we have all or most of our tubs unsunk, and then many players seems to forget or ignores that we lose everything if we don't get half the ships to the exfiltration point. Is it just me? Or is this old man seeing a pattern that others be seeing? 

I think there are many that are just focused on killing ships, for whatever reason.  Farming or just not understanding the objective.  Besides not going for the exfil, people will not put a priority on the priority enemy ships.

I have a little more success when I call attention to the objectives text at the beginning of the match.  It also helps when there is at least one BB that knows what to do.  They tank a lot of damage and will take out the northern ships. 

[4HIM]
Members
2,225 posts
6,552 battles
24 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

They died to those stupid Kolbergs, the V-101, the Nassau, and the Forts?

That’s pathetic.

Yep. Before the first hits were scored on the Kaiser or Hosho we were down to myself in the Arizona, a Farragut, and a Beaver. It was pretty pathetic. 

[PRDEF]
Members
81 posts
4,706 battles

It was an interesting weekend, to say the least.  I had one team where, after the harbor was clear, EVERY ship (we were all alive) followed me north to the A/B-9 area.  Too bad for us the exit point was in the west.  Loss.  Another one where we had a CV and a DD left, again with the exit in the west.  DD had followed me north to engage the ships up there, while the CV was just south of the area where you spawn in.  After I died in the third or fourth wave, I saw the CV steaming full speed back into the harbor.  When I pointed out that all he had to do at that point was get into the cap, he said he didn't want to fail the primary mission.  I just shook my head and went back to port.  These were not the only bizarre plays I saw, just the two that stuck with me the most.  I had at least one "Have you never played this before?" moment in every scenario I played this weekend.

[DPG]
Members
1,339 posts
5,803 battles

You forgot to mention when they do nothing but head to the exit without even attempting any secondary objective.  That is also annoying.

• Cool 1

[VOP]
Members
383 posts
7,458 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

A win should be its own reward; 5,000 xp or more in what’s basically a glorified Co-op game? With the potential modified captains and elite xp?

Seems like reward enough to me.

One would think. To most that should be enough but to others sadly it is not and they do not play as part of the team and cost the others the mission by not achieving the objectives.

• Cool 1

Members
378 posts
3,918 battles

I usually "encourage" the slow ships (thinking of US BBs) to head for extract, not that it does any good.  5 stared yesterday, with 3 random Cleveland teammates, placed 1, 2, 3 on the leaderboard.   So which ships you have on the team does make a difference, of course our DD was the first to die about 1 1/2 minutes into the game.  If they ever want to make a hard mode for this op, all they have to do is mandate 3-4 DDs on a team, there seems to be no shortage of people willing to bring them into the op.

[-BRS-]
Members
836 posts
14,933 battles

I have not experienced this personally of late. There was one game that went wrong, with a really weird result which I'm not going to talk about here. Anyone curious about it let me know. The offer is still open for anyone interested in joining an informal operations division. You are free to come and leave when the time is convenient for you during the time the division is running. Two nights ago we ran two divisions of 5 for most of the night, and last night two divisions for a couple games as well. We use discord for voice comms as well.

@1dennistt
That would really depend on the skill of the players using the destroyers. I've had many games with two destroyers getting 5 stars, and definitely a couple with 3 destroyers. I was running one of them of course.

@ZARDOZ_II
Are you still wanting me to run the Podvoisky? If so, I'll finish getting my Kiev captain to 19 points then get my Podvoisky captain to 8 before running it a few times. I can record and upload it on my on youtube as well so you don't have to wait for Lord Zath to record it on the off chance.

[2347]
Members
299 posts
6,505 battles

The only issues I've had with Killer Whale are the exactly in opposition to the OP...

The exit pops up and the whole team runs for it. This isn't so bad when the exit is to the west because there's at least hope that my teammates will have to fight their way through and hopefully get the kills necessary to complete the objectives - and I can go north and kill the cruiser and battleship. But when the exit is north and I have to go west alone or perhaps with one other player who has a clue, it becomes a real test. The idea of not even trying to get five stars is what frustrates me more than anything else. What is the point?

• Cool 1

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
4 hours ago, USMCGal said:

WG should reset the big rewards every 6 months or so. That way every one is playing for the complete goal so people can get them again.

Yeah I agree or even once a year. I would be happy for once a year.

[4HIM]
Members
2,225 posts
6,552 battles
6 hours ago, Lightninger said:

Are you still wanting me to run the Podvoisky? If so, I'll finish getting my Kiev captain to 19 points then get my Podvoisky captain to 8 before running it a few times. I can record and upload it on my on youtube as well so you don't have to wait for Lord Zath to record it on the off chance.

Love to see it.  All I've done with the Pud is run it in a few PvE games from time to time.  I just don't seem to click with a DD that has poor concealment and near useless torps.  I do okay with the Lenny when I do play it.  But I just don't click with the Pud.

Sign in to follow this