You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Lone_Starr

Varyag-TY for the ship but where are the torpedoes?

14 comments in this topic

[KMS]
Beta Testers
108 posts
13,287 battles

Received the Varyag and while I most likely wont ever play it much I was wondering why it doesn't have the 6 torp tubes?

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,269 posts
7,214 battles

Where are the Tubes? They are right here:

B1u9QnO.jpg

And that puts them into the exact same position as the Torpedo Tubes on Mikasa, Nelson and Hood. They were fixed, and had to be aimed with the entire ship. And outside of the bathtub ships for April Fools two years ago, those were never implemented as weapons.

[O_O]
Members
5,020 posts
11,288 battles
1 hour ago, SireneRacker said:

And that puts them into the exact same position as the Torpedo Tubes on Mikasa, Nelson and Hood. They were fixed, and had to be aimed with the entire ship. And outside of the bathtub ships for April Fools two years ago, those were never implemented as weapons.

Mutsu has her x2 fixed tubes on the port and starboard side.  I catch unsuspecting BB's at close range with a double-thump of torps quite often with her, and it always catches them by surprise.

[HINON]
Supertester
3,929 posts
5,873 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

Mutsu has her x2 fixed tubes on the port and starboard side.  I catch unsuspecting BB's at close range with a double-thump of torps quite often with her, and it always catches them by surprise.

Mutsu’s torpedoes aren’t fixed.

[O_O]
Members
5,020 posts
11,288 battles
20 minutes ago, Nuk_ said:

Mutsu’s torpedoes aren’t fixed.

That 5º launch arc...

Edited by desmo_2

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,269 posts
7,214 battles
27 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Those are deck mounted single tubes in game, with horrible firing arcs.

fvYhe8P.jpg

Also, fun fact, they have better launch angles than those found on Yuubari. Yuubari has 20° per side, Mutsu has 50°. Still horrible firing arcs no doubt, but at least not Yuubari-bad.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,369 posts
6,766 battles

I vaguely recall WG saying something about fixed tubes in cruisers and battleships not being implemented ever. I do not know why, and I think it's a shame.

[O_O]
Members
5,020 posts
11,288 battles
54 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Those are deck mounted single tubes in game, with horrible firing arcs.

fvYhe8P.jpg

How do you view these angles from inside the ship???  The only ship exploring I can seem to do is in port, and I am very limited to what I can zoom in on.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,269 posts
7,214 battles
2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

How do you view these angles from inside the ship???  The only ship exploring I can seem to do is in port, and I am very limited to what I can zoom in on.

I was using gamemodels3d. You pay 5$ once and have unlimited access to the models and ship stats. It‘s what you access to datamine without actually datamine.

Members
811 posts
4,250 battles

That would have been great if the torp tubes were included on the Varyag, but I suspect it because of it's potential to be OP. I've been thoroughly disappointed with Varyag, even though I love the St. Louis. They would seem to be so similar, but the St. Louie just seems to be a much better performance in my humble experience. Side note: the gun upgrade is well worth it.  Quality of the guns is so much better despite being smaller caliber.

[KMS]
Beta Testers
108 posts
13,287 battles

I guess I was wanting yet another useless tier 3 premium to have some redeeming feature to make me want to play it. And thanks but I knew where the tubes are located and how many. That's what made me look up details about the ship.

Edited by Lone_Starr

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
7,892 battles

Well, particularly down at T3, torpedoes on a BB would be VERY over-powered.

People down at T3 are still newbies, in the majority, and forcing them to cope with a BB that has torpedoes is unreasonable. 

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
4,505 posts
4,404 battles
59 minutes ago, EAnybody said:

Well, particularly down at T3, torpedoes on a BB would be VERY over-powered.

People down at T3 are still newbies, in the majority, and forcing them to cope with a BB that has torpedoes is unreasonable. 

I wouldn't be surprised if WG makes a low tier BB with a torpedo someday. Maybe the torpedo would be slow, weak, short ranged, with a bad firing arc, and a single launcher (like Mutsu), but if WG feels like it'll roll in some money then I see why not... lol. Newbies be damned, right? xD