You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Finnkax

Remove Kraken - it promotes bad playing

78 comments in this topic

[PIZZA]
Members
825 posts
9,360 battles

Please remove Kraken, because it promotes bad playing. There are already too many players who just waits behind and when game has developed well then they start to play because sea is full of half health enemies. 

Very same issue in WOT years and years ago.  WG knows this but still promote this kind of playing? 

Suggestion - Kraken is only awarded if player has made enough dmg during first five minutes. Some % of teams total dmg during first minutes?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[SYN]
Members
15,290 posts
11,987 battles

If you won't want your teammates from getting a Kraken, kill secure your targets?

Afterall, they are just kill securing so the reds can't shoot back.

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,491 battles

Only bad plays I see that could be related to it are people chasing after a ship on low health and overextending out of the range of most ally support.

Players will hide behind islands anyway regardless if Kraken got removed, that’s nothing new. If anything, Kraken promotes ensuring your enemy does.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Supertester
827 posts
4,644 battles

I'm genuinely confused as to what your issue is...?
And removing Kraken won't stop people trying to play safe. That's just how people play...
You just have to learn how to work around that.

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
4 minutes ago, Finnkax said:

Please remove Kraken, because it promotes bad playing.

No, I do not see the need for this. There are many, many reasons for the bad playing.

And BTW, I never had a Kraken and really do care if I ever get one. But I know that there other players who track this stuff, so it would not make any sense to ruin the game for them.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,540 posts
14,692 battles

Just play folks to win folks.  Kill to win.  Krakens come your way without even trying (to get a Kraken).  Maybe even more so.

• Cool 2

[TF03]
Members
741 posts
2,806 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

If you won't want your teammates from getting a Kraken, kill secure your targets?

There is a difference between kill securing and waiting till there nearly dead to take the shot just to get the kill, i.e someone joins in mid fight and they end up getting the kill great one less ship, then you have someone that will join but not shot till the ship is about to die and while your reloading they shot taking the kill that's what it sounds like the OP is on about and i'm sure we have all seen it.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
17,116 battles

do what I do when teammates hide behind rocks and such... Get gud in a US DD and promptly Kite enemy to campers they will help you out then

[KMS]
Beta Testers
108 posts
13,287 battles

As the only (I think) award that is based on the kill and not how much damage is done to the target, it would work better if you had to do more than 50% of the damage to the target for it to count towards Kraken. I am always a bit proud when I earn High Caliber and Confederate awards because it means I'm doing a lot of damage and not just sniping kills. Might be something for WG to consider. Don't need to remove it just change it a bit and maybe!!  people will shoot at other targets instead of the almost dead ship that is burning, flooding etc and sure to die. Why waste fire on a dead ship that wont count towards a Kraken.

My point being that the salvo wasted on a ship already dead soon could be better used against another target instead.

Edited by Lone_Starr
typo

[TF03]
Members
741 posts
2,806 battles
6 minutes ago, Lone_Starr said:

As the only (I think) award that is based on the kill and not how much damage is done to the target, it would work better if you had to do more than %50 of the damage to the target for it to count towards Kraken. I am always a bit proud when I earn High Caliber and Confederate awards because it means I'm doing a lot of damage and not just sniping kills. Might be something for WG to consider. Don't need to remove it just change it a bit and maybe!!  people will shoot at other targets instead of the almost dead ship that is burning, flooding etc and sure to die. Why waste fire on a dead ship that wont count towards a Kraken.

Be good if WG had a look at the whole awards and exp and changed it around a bit, add new ones in, how each type off ship can get exp. Could change things up a bit and make the game if lucky more teamwork based in matches. Could be a award for spotting damage so i.e a DD that spots for other teammates after so much damage they get the award.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,572 posts
10,459 battles

The achievement itself doesn't promote bad play. It's the way people earn it.

The requirement is 5 kill. Everyone can do that, you just have to wait until the last moment to pull the trigger.  I still think sometime Kraken gives a lot of XP for what the player did. I had games where with just 1 kill and some damage, I managed to top score and the guy who sat back earned his Kraken by finishing off some target running away and was second. But the friendly DD who assisted in cap + spotting, or the CV who assisted in spotting and taking down some planes, they both were 3-4. Behind the camping guys with his Kraken.

Kraken is fine as it is right now, the only thing I would love to have is new achievement based on supporting your friendly. If a DD cap severals time, give him an achievement. If a DD/CV spots, give him an achievement. 

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
2,724 posts
8,695 battles
Just now, AlcatrazNC said:

Kraken is fine as it is right now, the only thing I would love to have is new achievement based on supporting your friendly. If a DD cap severals time, give him an achievement. If a DD/CV spots, give him an achievement. 

You mean an achievement other than winning?

Because, hey, let's just make achievements for EVERYTHING because EVERYONE is equally special, so that we can devalue ALL the awards, so that everyone FEELS good.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts

Just another derivative of the 'kill-stealing' thread.  Just had one of those a couple days ago.  :cap_cool:  No such thing as a kill-steal in World of Warships.

Edited by mavfin87

[TF03]
Members
741 posts
2,806 battles
3 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Because, hey, let's just make achievements for EVERYTHING because EVERYONE is equally special, so that we can devalue ALL the awards, so that everyone FEELS good.

And if CV stopped spotting for you and DD to then what, We won't care if you go in blind and get ambushed and killed because you don't think spotting is worth anything so why should we waste are time when we could be dealing damage?  

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,592 posts
12,334 battles

Not only should Kraken reward be kept they should add more for 6 7 and 8 kills respectively, also Kraken awards should be given out every time you do it, not once every 24 hrs

[TF03]
Members
741 posts
2,806 battles
8 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

All the spotting one need's is a amount off damage done while your spotting i.e 250,000 damage you hit that number you get the achievement, which will help DD to spot and for CV to spot to knowing there is achievements for it

[WOLFB]
Members
2,572 posts
10,459 battles
Just now, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

At some points why DD are always avoiding caps and trying to get kills ? Because the current reward system is garbage. As long as the reward system is based on mostly damage, you will always have these kind of player. 

I tried several type of gameplay with my DD :

1-I flank and focus on killing ships. Spotting and capping are optional

My personnal rewards were really good. My W/R on the other hands dropped a bit. 

2-I focused on capping and spotting. Kills and damage are optional

My personnal rewards were garbage or just enough to cover ships fee. My W/R increased .

• Cool 1

[KMS]
Beta Testers
108 posts
13,287 battles
Just now, grumpymunky said:

Nope, not gonna take that bait.

@Lone_Starris your dog half bat?

He is just well endowed...ya know, big ears big ****

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

The thing is, if you just do kill shots without dealing a substantial amount of damage to the targets, you won't get that much EXP. You can get a Kraken but that doesn't guarantee a high finishing position on the team. Still it can be annoying to be denied these kill ribbons because some players deliberately hold their fire for the kill secures. It feels disappointing, for instance, to remove 14k out of 16k from an Aoba with your CA salvo, only to have some other guy finish him off when he's on a sliver of HP. Happened today.

Edited by Zionas

[STURM]
Members
448 posts
3,826 battles
9 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Chill.

Every medal in the game already promotes good game behavior, same as a theoretical capping or spotting medal. A team that has someone get Confederate, High Caliber, or Kraken is more likely to win, not because of the medal, but because of what was done to get it.

The argument that a capping or spotting medal would somehow devalue other medals just didn't make sense. It's not even something you can decry as rewards for nothing, because capping and spotting, and more generally team play, is what wins games, and is far from "nothing."

As for removing Kraken, no. Even doing just the last point of damage still removes the guns and spotting of a ship, and doing that several time over the match is worth noting and rewarding.

[XBRTC]
Members
2,724 posts
8,695 battles
24 minutes ago, ausanimal said:

And if CV stopped spotting for you and DD to then what, We won't care if you go in blind and get ambushed and killed because you don't think spotting is worth anything so why should we waste are time when we could be dealing damage?  

Friend, I don't go into a battle expecting that the CV is even going to launch planes, never mind spot for me. Once in a while I'm pleasantly surprised and I always throw some good karma at CV drivers that are not useless, but you'd be surprised how often my expectations are met.

And OBTW, I do plenty of capping in DDs, and plenty of spotting for my teammates in them. My WR is quite good in the DDs I play most often, even if my damage is less than average. 

17 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

At some points why DD are always avoiding caps and trying to get kills ? Because the current reward system is garbage. As long as the reward system is based on mostly damage, you will always have these kind of player. 

I tried several type of gameplay with my DD :

1-I flank and focus on killing ships. Spotting and capping are optional

My personnal rewards were really good. My W/R on the other hands dropped a bit. 

2-I focused on capping and spotting. Kills and damage are optional

My personnal rewards were garbage or just enough to cover ships fee. My W/R increased .

I entered the enemy's cap with 1 kill and 10,632 damage. I died, still the only ship that had even bothered to enter the enemy's cap, with the score below. If I'd waited 4 seconds to launch my last set of torps, I'd have had a kraken and would probably have gotten a sixth kill as well. If you have doubts about the circumstances, you're more than welcome to watch the replay.

Even losing I did far more than needed just to cover the costs of that battle. I didn't fly a single economic flag, and my net was 199,300 credits.

Point is, playing to win does not necessarily mean you're out of the running for a kraken.

image.thumb.png.ad5b432fa42ef434d996e8731680465e.png

9 minutes ago, Baskerville77 said:

Chill.

Every medal in the game already promotes good game behavior, same as a theoretical capping or spotting medal. A team that has someone get Confederate, High Caliber, or Kraken is more likely to win, not because of the medal, but because of what was done to get it.

The argument that a capping or spotting medal would somehow devalue other medals just didn't make sense. It's not even something you can decry as rewards for nothing, because capping and spotting, and more generally team play, is what wins games, and is far from "nothing."

As for removing Kraken, no. Even doing just the last point of damage still removes the guns and spotting of a ship, and doing that several time over the match is worth noting and rewarding.

No, I don't really think that a capping or spotting medal would somehow devalue everything else. What I do think, however, is that the creeping incrementalism of changing things so that everyone can get an achievement because feels, man is just dumb.

We already get pretty ribbons for fighting it out over a cap. We already get rewarded in XP for fighting it out in a cap. We've had missions where the requirement was for getting spotting damage in a DD, and there's rewards for those.

It's silly just to add new achievements just for the sake of making someone feel better about their digital accomplishments. If you can make a legit business case for it, hey, that's a whole different matter.

Edited by LT_Rusty_SWO

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
48 minutes ago, Lone_Starr said:

As the only (I think) award that is based on the kill and not how much damage is done to the target, it would work better if you had to do more than %50 of the damage to the target for it to count towards Kraken. I am always a bit proud when I earn High Caliber and Confederate awards because it means I'm doing a lot of damage and not just sniping kills. Might be something for WG to consider. Don't need to remove it just change it a bit and maybe!!  people will shoot at other targets instead of the almost dead ship that is burning, flooding etc and sure to die. Why waste fire on a dead ship that wont count towards a Kraken.

My point being that the salvo wasted on a ship already dead soon could be better used against another target instead.

If you put a salvo into that soon to be dead ship, it's dead NOW! And removed as a threat to your team that much faster.

• Cool 2

[TF03]
Members
741 posts
2,806 battles
4 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Friend, I don't go into a battle expecting that the CV is even going to launch planes, never mind spot for me. Once in a while I'm pleasantly surprised and I always throw some good karma at CV drivers that are not useless, but you'd be surprised how often my expectations are met.

And OBTW, I do plenty of capping in DDs, and plenty of spotting for my teammates in them. My WR is quite good in the DDs I play most often, even if my damage is less than average. 

I've found it to be the newer CV players that don't understand the reason for spotting or they just don't care and want to go for damage, when i play my Zuiho to relax and have a easy match i always send 1 DB to one cap to spot and scout for ships even if i lose the squad and fighters to the other cap, Those two squads can help the team to a early lead, gain caps, know which way the other team is going and kills leading up to a win in the match.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,769 posts
4,429 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

I quite agree. 

If you don't want a rival getting Krakens, work on finishing off the enemy so they don't affect the game anymore.