You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
maiingun

Somehow I torpedoed myself ?

29 comments in this topic

Members
36 posts
3,302 battles

I don't know if this counts as a total noob move of all time, but I launched torpedoes and 2 seconds later I ended up killing myself somehow with my own torp.  Then I get an in game violation waning for killing an ally - myself?   How in the world did this happen?   Sent in a ticket, but seriously,   Never seen this before ever.  Has anyone else?

kill self.jpg

• Funny 3

[-PVE-]
Members
129 posts
9,783 battles

I saw this happen in a co-op game today, bot DD killed himself with torp.. I thought maybe he was shooting torps as he was struck by a shell, but have no idea. So yes this does happen. 

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
466 posts
4,343 battles

I know there used to be a few destroyers in the game with slow enough torps, fast enough speed and the correct turning radius that you could launch your torps and with as fast as your bote was (Or if you didn't have last stand) explode thyself with a torpedo.  I don't remember if fletcher was one of those though.

[-PVE-]
Members
129 posts
9,783 battles
3 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

You killed a teammate and you did enough damage it was reflected on you.

Only one ship died at that time, could have been overall damage but again not sure in my example.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,566 posts
10,447 battles
Just now, Xeilin said:

I know there used to be a few destroyers in the game with slow enough torps, fast enough speed and the correct turning radius that you could launch your torps and with as fast as your bote was (Or if you didn't have last stand) explode thyself with a torpedo.  I don't remember if fletcher was one of those though.

This.

Ship like Tashkent has slow torps. They used to get hit by their own torps when dropping them while turning into them. 

Fletcher has fast torps and the ship itself isn't fast enough to let your torps hit you while turning so I don't think you can torps yourself using that ship.

[INTEL]
Members
1,239 posts
10,918 battles

Only dead ship in the match and unless you torped a teammate behind you.... I got nothin.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,907 posts
10,906 battles

Well, looking at the mini map, I think the destroyer that is almost on top of you is actually slightly north of your wreck, and it looks like you were looking south west, and your tubes were facing that way. I see no other friendlies near enough in you line of fire to get hit. From the angle of your tubes, even a Russian DD can't torp itself like that. You sir, have found a weird bug.

[INTEL]
Members
9,822 posts
27,863 battles

I wonder if it is that torp bug that was notorious a while back. I have noticed still time to time in coop bots launching torps 180 degrees from me, into space with no ships, when it was ideal time to torp me. I haven't had it happen to me since that was supposedly patched, and I haven't seen it in Random, Ranked, or Scenarios. But it still happens in PvE. 

[WOLF4]
Members
1,425 posts
3,224 battles

Is this really a thing? I honestly can say that if i torped myself i might just quit out of sheer embarrassment lol.

So can you go pink if you do torp yourself? That would sting.

[SYN]
Members
15,288 posts
11,987 battles

I know it's possible to do in Udaloi, but this is the first I've heard of Fletcher doing it and this ship has been here since the beginning.

[MIA-P]
Supertester
1,655 posts
5,657 battles

You are already pink in that match, which makes me think you were pink before you died.  If you torped an ally while pink, the damage they take is drastically reduced, but reflects full force onto you.  That is the most reasonable explanation.  No other teammate had to die in this case, just take damage from you.  They would probably be harmed little if at all by your team damage.

• Cool 2

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
9,753 battles

Yup. Torped a friendly who had more HP than you and therefor didn't die. You were pink, so it was all reflected.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,425 posts
3,224 battles
1 minute ago, Lensar said:

Yup. Torped a friendly who had more HP than you and therefor didn't die. You were pink, so it was all reflected.

But but, that makes this far less funny.

Ah well.

[NWNG]
Members
2,785 posts
4,652 battles

Yes, the only explanation I can think of, is reflected damage from already being pink...

HOWEVER, if he wasn't pink before, and some how killed himself with his own torps (that would be a bug in the game if that's the case), and received disciplinary action for that kill, the game at that moment, turns him pink. So this screenshot is taken after disciplinary action is forced upon him, which means it is 100% impossible to know if he was pink before the disciplinary action. Though him being pink before hand, is most certainly the likely culprit.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,530 posts
14,672 battles
1 hour ago, Lensar said:

^^this^^

If OP saved the end game detailed stats, it should show the friendly that was hit.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[XBRTC]
Members
2,724 posts
8,695 battles
1 minute ago, Soshi_Sone said:

^^this^^

If OP saved the end game detailed stats, it should show the friendly that was hit.

And he also waited to get the screen grab until after the actual kill message was off-screen.

I really do want to see the replay on this.

[INTEL]
Members
1,408 posts
10,141 battles

Div mate did this on Saturday.  He hit a full health cruiser with two torps.  Didn't kill him but the Div mate died.  Game showed the kill as "Div Mate" -> "Div Mate".  He didn't start out as pink but what I think happened is his first torpedo tripped the TK flag and the second torpedo reflected on him.  But I don't know that for sure.

[YEETS]
Beta Testers
222 posts
3,855 battles

It happened to me today, actually.

I was in my Kidd, firing a torp salvo on three clustered bot enemies with no allies in range.  Figured it was a perfect shot, except some genius in a North Carolina came out of nowhere and decided he wanted to flank them from behind...  I land one torp in his side and instantly go pink.  Okay, seems a bit extreme but I'll deal with it.  Next thing I know, I'm taking his flooding damage and see my name flash up at the bottom right killing myself with a torpedo.

Thankfully, it was only two games to work off the pink status, but I think this new system might need a little bit of adjustment.  It seems a little too quick to ramp up the punishment compared to what was in the game before.