You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

Playing the game on a laptop

28 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
Members
229 posts
9,815 battles

I've come across several posts by people that state you should not be playing the game on a laptop.   Since I am struggling to get better, and since I play on a laptop, I was wondering what is the problem with using laptops when playing World of Warships?

[H-W-C]
Members
1,271 posts
3,613 battles

It's probably because most laptops tend not to be as powerful as laptops. Of course, if you have a reasonably powerful laptop you can run WoWS just fine. My laptop runs at 45-55 FPS with most settings cranked up.

[SPTR]
Members
20,147 posts
6,036 battles

Lower processing power, really. Means less FPS and worse graphics, but for all means and purposes, the game is a rather slow-paced one, and I play alright with a rather bad laptop. Quality of computers do correlate to gameplay quality but a large portion of it is due to dedication to the game, rather than only performance issues.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
867 posts
6,766 battles

I "played" on a laptop for a while. My potato days were all on laptop. Me thinks my winrate would be MUCH better if I had the gaming desktop I have now. Night and day. Granted it wasn't a top of the line laptop but it wasn't a pile of crap either, it just wasn't up to the task and my gameplay suffered. Also for me to get a laptop that is similar in performance to my desktop I'd have to sell organs. Much better value overall.

Edited by HeathenForay

[SIDE]
Members
2,099 posts
7 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

I've come across several posts by people that state you should not be playing the game on a laptop.   Since I am struggling to get better, and since I play on a laptop, I was wondering what is the problem with using laptops when playing World of Warships?

No problem.

Make sure it’s at least an i3 with 4gb ram and a 600 series intel gpu. Need stable WiFi.

id suggest an i5 w 8gb ram and a GeForce 1050 gpu as best bang for buck and 45-55 frames per second with medium settings.

i played for a couple weeks on a duo core 7400 with 2gb ram and some old intel 3000 series gpu and it was 15-20fps at best of failstration, near constant stuttering and frequent freezing.

i borrowed an i5 w 16gb and a GeForce 1050ti 4gb gpu and saw 70fps max settings.

i bought an i5 w 8gb (for now) and a GeForce 1060 6gb gpu and get 80+ FPS max settings.

This game is not a counter strike twitch-fest where you need spider-senses so as long as you get smooth playable frame rates with decent graphics settings you will be fine.

Edited by thebigblue

[INTEL]
Members
1,241 posts
10,924 battles

I play on an Acer Predator 17 but its a true gaming laptop intended to handle far more demanding games. I also have an ASUS 17" lappy that handles it just fine but again, thats running a real i7 cpu and a dedicated GTX 1050 GPU.

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles

I used to use a pretty strong (non gaming) laptop. It would get super hot so eventually I had it set up in a crazy way so that a fan blew onto the bottom where the vents are with an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I could get 50-60 FPS at medium-high graphics. Not ideal but it was all I had at the time.

[INTEL]
Members
1,241 posts
10,924 battles
1 minute ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I used to use a pretty strong (non gaming) laptop. It would get super hot so eventually I had it set up in a crazy way so that a fan blew onto the bottom where the vents are with an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I could get 50-60 FPS at medium-high graphics. Not ideal but it was all I had at the time.

I had that issue with my ASUS. I ended up replacing the factory thermal compound with Arctic Silver. I also downloaded Intel's Extreme Tuning Software which allowed me to undervolt and overclock both the CPU and GPU. Afterwards it ran almost 10C cooler on and completely eliminated my thermal throttling issues.

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,605 battles
21 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

I happen to be one of those people. If you're handicapping yourself with a craptastic graphics card or even worse on-board graphics to the point that cant see signal flags when sniping or more importantly torps hitting the water you're probably going to have survivability issues and thus handicapping your team too...let alone what it might do to your aiming. You might also experience more lag than you would not being on a wireless connection.

[ICOP]
Members
229 posts
9,815 battles

OK, then if I'm playing with mid 20's FPS at best and sometimes down into the teens, am I putting myself at a disadvantage playing the game?  I do notice some significant frame stuttering when I get below 20 FPS. 

[XBRTC]
Members
2,724 posts
8,695 battles

Thermal issues are a big part of it, as mentioned already. Laptops suck at dissipating heat, and running your CPU and video card hard generates a fair amount of heat. This will cause throttling issues, where the CPU turns its perofrmance down automatically, in order to reduce heat and prevent damage, and this causes performance issues.

The worst part, though, is the screen size, followed closely by the keyboard and pointing device. And, at that point, once you've added an external monitor (that you probably don't have the power to drive at high settings) and a keyboard and mouse, then you've already removed the portability aspect of a laptop, and you've also spent far more money on the laptop than you would have on the equivalent amount of power for a desktop.

[XBRTC]
Members
2,724 posts
8,695 battles
1 minute ago, Joe_918145 said:

OK, then if I'm playing with mid 20's FPS at best and sometimes down into the teens, am I putting myself at a disadvantage playing the game?  I do notice some significant frame stuttering when I get below 20 FPS. 

uh. 

Dude.

That's not just "disadvantaged." That's like, 100% disabled and needing 24-7 nursing care to change your diaper and make sure you don't get bed sores.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
112 posts
9,863 battles

I use a dedicated gaming laptop that gets 60-70 FPS on maxed out graphics, but that's due to the nature of my employment.

The biggest handicap is not having a mouse and using the built-in tracpad for aiming...

[BNKR]
Members
1,181 posts
1,105 battles

There is nothing wrong with a laptop as long as it's got adequate hardware. I have a low end gaming laptop that runs max settings at 75-80fps.

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,989 battles
30 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

My laptop does just fine, that being said, I have an actual high end gaming laptop so that's why.

24GB-DDR4 Ram

GTX-1060 with 6GB Ram

i7-7700HQ 3.4GZ with 8 threads

250GB SSD

2TB SSD Hybrid

[RLGN]
Members
10,099 posts
19,494 battles

Play using an ASUS gaming lt, no problems. Not using wifi, though I have while on vacations; currently hooked into home modem with a cable.

[CAST]
Members
1,556 posts
8,009 battles

My laptop plays WOWs fine.  You just have to make sure it has the necessary hardware and a good wifi connection.  If you have a dedicated graphics card in the laptop, it will work much better than onboard graphics.  It doesn't even have to be a high end graphics card.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,840 posts
4,592 battles

Played so far the game only on a laptop. I have occasionally issues with bottlenecks; the GPU gets too hot and drops the fps until it cools down a bit again. This happens only during summer though, due to the warm weather. Bear in mind though that I am playing the game on a 6 year old laptop, so it was kinda expected.

Edited by warheart1992

[WOLF6]
Members
766 posts
4,872 battles

I travel and spend half the month on the road.  So I have to play on a laptop

i play on a MacBook using intel HD graphics.  (The horror)

i still manage 45-50 FPS but the aluminum MacBook casing turns into a nice iron which I can use to iron my shirts after a  spending a short period looking at my fleet of ships in the port.

i tried hooking the macbook up the hotel TVs but playing warships on hotel TVs is worse than playing using the laptop display.   (The lag rate on hotel TVs is pretty bad)

[NLIST]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,936 posts
10,646 battles

I play on my laptop when I can't find the energy to get out of bed

MVIMG_20180411_221605.thumb.jpg.802026c4b969bd9b59c8f791ac6694b3.jpg

Members
210 posts
2,708 battles

If its an older, generic laptop with on-board graphics, then yea, that's not exactly optimal. WoWs does have a generous min-spec requirement though. 

A gaming laptop, however, is another story. 

Beta Testers
430 posts
1,229 battles

honestly world of warships is the kinda game that you really dont need great or even good FPS, if you can maintain 30+ FPS your good anything less and you will see hits to your ingame performance, it all depends on how pretty you want your game

[TDG]
Members
1,637 posts
7,872 battles

If you can maintain 25-30 fps over 90% of the time, you should be okay to play.  More is better, to a point.

I was playing for quite some time on a low-powered system running Linux using Wine.

I only upgraded when an update would not allow the client to launch (crash every time).

[TBOW]
Members
1,753 posts
12,135 battles

I use a laptop, Alienware 17 R4 right now, but before that I had a 600 buck Acer it ran just fine on.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,066 posts
6,263 battles

You can play any game on whatever you want provided you either meet the minimum specs or the game boots up and plays.