You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017

Is fire prevention any good?

48 comments in this topic

Members
422 posts
2,175 battles

I mean it only reduce the chance of causing fire by 10%... and it didn't really say if it's per salvo or per round. If it per round then I'm so totally getting it, also if it's per salvo... what if a player chain fire their shells and makes it impossible to group a complete salvo?

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
10,705 posts

It's per shell. But the main use is reducing the superstructure to one fire instead of 2.

Edited by RipNuN2

Members
422 posts
2,175 battles
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

It's per shell. But the main use is reducing the superstructure to one fire instead of 2.

WAit wait wait so if an shell has 9% chance of causing fire then it means it will never set the ship ablaze?

[FML]
Members
2,480 posts
11,921 battles
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

This. Getting fires on the bow or stern can be hard to do, but the superstructure is much easier. Therefore, this skill can - in effect - reduce the number of fires by 50 per cent. 

The skill is pretty much essential in any battleship survival build. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,150 posts
9,089 battles
Just now, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

WAit wait wait so if an shell has 9% chance of causing fire then it means it will never set the ship ablaze?

it's 10% off these 9% = 8.1% minus ship's fire reduction chance (say Yamato is 50%) so it goes from 4.5% to 4.05%

[NEON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
123 posts
2,385 battles

It's really useful not for the % of fire reduction, well that's good too. But for the reduction of superstructure fires from 2 to 1, because those are the most common places that caught fire when you get shot with HE.

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
466 posts
4,343 battles
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

^ This is the glorious reason right here.  superstructure is generally accessible to most ship types for HE pens.  And it sticks out.

[YEETS]
Beta Testers
222 posts
3,855 battles

In truth, the fire chance per shell doesn't drop by a flat 10%.  The formula used to calculate the true fire chance is [Fire Resistance Coefficient] x ( 1 - [Damage Control Modification 1] - [Fire Prevention] ) x ( [Projectile Base Fire Chance] + [Demolition Expert] + [Signals] - [Inertial Fuse for HE Shells]) = Fire Chance

In reality, you're dropping the chance of fire by maybe 1%.  The big benefit is the combination of the two superstructure sections.  I personally feel that the skill is too costly for what it does, but there are others who swear by it.  The choice is really yours to make, if you think it's worth the points versus other skills.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
4 minutes ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

No.  The other thing that Fire Prevention does is this:

Usually, there are 4 fire 'spots' on a ship.  Bow, Stern, and 2 'mid' or superstructure spots.  Using this skill makes the 'mid' spot single, so there's only 3 possible fires at once, rather than 4.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,568 posts
10,453 battles

FP is a must for any tank build. Good luck shooting down a good angled Yamato driver equiped with FP with you CA. You will at best start one fire on the deck and one fire on the superstructure.

French BB also benefit from this skill. They already eat tons of HE damage so reducing the amount of fire on the ship can drastically increase her survivabillity.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,489 posts
14 minutes ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

I mean it only reduce the chance of causing fire by 10%... and it didn't really say if it's per salvo or per round. If it per round then I'm so totally getting it, also if it's per salvo... what if a player chain fire their shells and makes it impossible to group a complete salvo?

In answer to your question: where do fires come from, HE rounds right? What do destroyers shoot at everyone? What do cruisers shoot at everyone, hell these days what do half of the battleships shoot at everyone?  The next premium to be introduced should be the USS Asbestos, totally fireproof, WG would make a fortune.

• Funny 2

Beta Testers
503 posts
10,607 battles

Tried it on my Montana but didn't see much value in it and got rid of it. Don't run it on any of my BB's and don't have any more problems with fires than others do. Rare to see 3 fires let alone 4. CE and AFT have much more value.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
775 posts
6,771 battles

Very handy for BBs especially British ones that like to burn as much as they set others sought l alight

[WOLF1]
Members
2,546 posts
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

but the problem is, i never (almost) get 4 fires, and the combination of 2 superstructure zones to 1 make the superstructure fire zone twice as big, so you get much higher chance of setting that on fire

so unless someone did a real statistical test, i don't know whether FP is good or not

anyone got enough time (need 2 ppl) can try this in training room, keep hitting middle of a BB with and without FP, see fires started and damage difference

Edited by Happy668

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,480 posts
6,103 battles
1 hour ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

No, it’s not.  Not for 4 points anyway.

When you do the math, it really works out to about a 1% chance per shell.  It’s just not that good.  The superstructure thing is overrated as well.

That doesn’t stop a bunch or people from thinking it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread.   These people are just wrong.

Take High Alert instead, and use your extra 2 points elsewhere.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,546 posts
44 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

but the problem is, i never (almost) get 4 fires, and the combination of 2 superstructure zones to 1 make the superstructure fire zone twice as big, so you get much higher chance of setting that on fire

so unless someone did a real statistical test, i don't know whether FP is good or not

anyone got enough time (need 2 ppl) can try this in training room, keep hitting middle of a BB with and without FP, see fires started and damage difference

on second thought, it works like this:

when superstructure has 0 fire, the chance to start a fire is the same with 2 zones or 1 zone, since the whole area hits are valid hits

but, after 1 fire started, with FP, the chance of another fire there changes to 0, but without FP (so we have zone1 and zone2, each 1/2 size of superstructure), assume it's the zone1 that has fire, then you need to hit zone2 to start 2nd fire. yes you have some chance to get another fire there, but since the "valid" zone is 1/2 size now, the chance is not the same, in other words, it sounds good on paper you can start 2nd fire on superstructure, but in practice, the chance is 1/2.

so FP doesn't do as much as one thinks it does, one can think of it as reduces fires from 3.5 to 3 (instead of 4 to 3)

Edited by Happy668

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
3 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

Ships with large superstructure AND lower belt silhouette like Kurfurst/Montana/Conqeror benefit the most from this skill as these ships generally burn at their superstructure. Their bows/sterns are generally smaller and more resistant to HE spam.

On the other hand, something like the Republique - is a more complicated case as the ship burns equally from bow to stern so paying 4 captain points for fewer superstructure fires doesnt benefit the ship as much when so many of its fires occur at bow and stern (instead of superstructure).

[EGO]
Members
3,501 posts
3 hours ago, _greifer said:

Very handy for BBs especially British ones that like to burn as much as they set others sought l alight

Ehh, if It's Conqueror or Nelson it's debatable. You should be able to heal it all up unless you overextended. Definitely mandatory for GK though.

[SYN]
Members
15,289 posts
11,987 battles
Just now, CaptainTeddybear said:

Ehh, if It's Conqueror or Nelson it's debatable. You should be able to heal it all up unless you overextended. Definitely mandatory for GK though.

no, you still want it, because one Nelson heal can only heal up to around 4 full fires

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles
6 hours ago, Xeilin said:

^ This is the glorious reason right here.  superstructure is generally accessible to most ship types for HE pens.  And it sticks out.

FYI fire chance is independent of he damage.  A shatter on the belt armor still has a chance of starting a fire.

Members
115 posts
8,128 battles

I think way to expensive for end result, should be 1 or 2 pts. I tried it for awhile (don't have numbers) didn't notice any real difference, burned just as easily.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
13 minutes ago, bohica_2017 said:

I think way to expensive for end result, should be 1 or 2 pts. I tried it for awhile (don't have numbers) didn't notice any real difference, burned just as easily.

Ok, then.

It's a standard item in a survival Battleship build, which means.... choices.

I know you want that secondary build with concealment and anti AA, combined with survival build for your BB but the truth is you cannot do this and neither can anyone else. Everyone always wants all the things ( and normally someone else to pay for it)

Pretty certain many destroyers dont like "having" to pick up Last Stand or Survival Expert and "wasting" those points but the choice is ultimately yours.

Dont see the value of a 25% reduction to fire zones and then an additional 10% on incoming shells, suit yourself and keep spamming the forums with "OMG HE/Fires OP" threads.

Members
165 posts
1,937 battles

This skill is glorious!  The reduction in % of fire chance is good but reducing the fire areas on your ship from 4 to 3 is massive and cannot be understated for most battleships.  If you want to live in the HE rain, this is the skill to take in my opinion.

Edited by Snarky_Wombat