You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Pensacola at Tier 6 doesn't look promising.

116 comments in this topic

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

I just watched Notser's video where he tests the Pensacola / SLC down at Tier 6, and boy oh boy have they nerfed the ship. Much slower turret traverse among other things, and everything just sucks. I'm doing alright in the current Pensacola at Tier 7 (despite what many say about it) and I am planning to keep it so I can munch on more Tier 5 and 6 cruisers. However, if the Tier 6 Pensacola that Notser played is going to become the live version, then I'll be very unhappy to say the least. I hope they don't do the same to NOLA which will be Tier 7. I wonder whether USN CAs in their current form need any nerfs to drop a tier, considering how outmatched they are by their same tier contemporaries.

A question. Once the ships are moved down a tier, do I get to retain the stats I've accumulated in their current Tier 7-9 versions?

Edited by Zionas
  • Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
10,232 posts
6,674 battles

Seek out other opinions. Not everyone agrees with him, and on this matter I believe he is in error.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[HYDRO]
Members
2,805 posts
4,579 battles

A T6 heavy cruiser with a 10 gun broadside is no laughing matter. Also, this is just one video from one CC on his first impressions. In this video you can see NoZoup dominating in one. Does it paint a 100% accurate picture of how the ship will be in Tier VI? Nope. But same as Notser's video it gives an opinion on a first impression. Unless you yourself play the ship in it's Tier VI form, you will not be sure whether you like it at that spot or not.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 2

[YEETS]
Beta Testers
222 posts
3,855 battles

If WG buffs the turret traverse to be more in line with what it is at tier 7, the ship should be okay.  That feature combined with its maneuverability is what allows it to be functional in the right hands.

Dropping it down to tier 6 really doesn't change things for Pensacola with the mercy of it no longer seeing tier 9 ships, it's not going to magically make that ship overpowered.  Having ten 8 inch guns at tier 6 isn't that big of a concern to balance given that quite literally every other cruiser at that tier has torpedoes with the sole exception of the other USN cruiser.

I'm one of the odd players that likes the Pensacola where it is now, the tier 6 version may not be viable depending on where WG goes with it.  I want to like it, but there's a good chance I'll be selling a few ships once the split goes through depending on what happens.

• Cool 1

[-VT3-]
Members
1,833 posts
3,584 battles

I went through Pensacola back before it got its round of buffs, suffered through the 8-gun base layout, along with the fact that I just simply wasn't good at the game yet.

It was alright back then.  Pensa is fragile, but then, it's a cruiser.  Its problem has never been the quality of the ship, so much as the fact that players were going from the durable, fast-firing, HE-spamming Cleveland into a ship that required more finesse.  The Light/Heavy transition is -never- easy.  

The line split should alleviate that somewhat.  

• Cool 3

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
466 posts
4,343 battles

I'm going to wait until I get my hands on her.  If anything the pensa might play like she did before she got that concealment buff.  Like a terrified pinata that flees at the very sight of anything looking at you.  Then you whap them over the head with a bat once no one is looking.

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

Maybe drop concealment by half a km, and don't change anything else about the ship. That would make it viable and balanced at T6. As for New Orleans, reduce reload by 0.5 to 1 second and it's fine

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,609 posts
15,896 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Seek out other opinions. Not everyone agrees with him, and on this matter I believe he is in error.

He is not in error, however, about the turret traverse; though the ship is still a work in progress.

1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Unless you yourself play the ship in it's Tier VI form, you will not be sure whether you like it at that spot or not.

This is ALWAYS true, and spot on!

[NEON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
123 posts
2,377 battles

*silently praying that NO still remains a good ship*

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
112 posts
9,863 battles

Heaviest broadside of any tier VI cruiser? Check

Seen from low orbit? Check

Horrid turret traverse like the stock Pensacola has now? Also check

Seems like the theme of downtiering a ship by mixing stock and top modules is the default for WG

Looking forward to using her in Operations

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

The concealment nerf and nerf to turret traverse will impact her greatly if that's what WG decides to give her Tier 6 version. That will make her downright unplayable. Is there a good chance we'll see the line split go live in late May?

Edited by Zionas

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
392 posts
9,989 battles

New Orleans at 7 is the bigger thing I'm watching.  She's losing radar and concealment upgrade slot.  She wasn't an easy ship to play at 8 but I liked her.

Pensacola was never a 'brawl' ship so I'm not to scared by traverse changing.  She'll still be easy to open up, like a can of pepsi, but she'll also have less 16'' battleships eying her up greedily.

Probably somewhere inbetween the 'she's garbage now' and 'she's terrific now guys' is where she'll sit but I'm waiting until I get my hands on her.

No escaping Lyon players in the queue though. :cap_haloween:

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles
1 hour ago, Xeilin said:

e

If WG is intentionally screwing us over by making the mid and high tier USN CAs / CLs really crap with this split, then I'd have serious reservations about buying anything from them other than doubloons and premium time (the latter which I've only bought once, 3 weeks ago to be precise). I'm also looking forward to some RN CAs and the Italian cruisers (Italian BBs too).

Since I'm a mid-tier player for now, I hope Pensacola doesn't change much (if at all) after she's Tier 6, and I hope NO is still a decent ship once it's Tier 7. 

Edited by Zionas

[WOLF5]
Members
684 posts
23,992 battles
1 hour ago, Zionas said:

The concealment nerf and nerf to turret traverse will impact her greatly if that's what WG decides to give her Tier 6 version. That will make her downright unplayable. Is there a good chance we'll see the line split go live in late May?

I don't believe that all the new ships are in testing yet, so I doubt it's going to go live in May. 

[SYN]
Members
15,279 posts
11,970 battles

Pensacola will absolutely crap on other T6 cruisers if it's not nerfed.

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
1,075 posts
4,735 battles

Keep in mind that the tier 6 Pensacola, aka the Salt Lake City, and the tier 8 Cleveland, aka the Columbia, are both still in the testing phase on the test servers, and not all of the tier 6+ cruisers have been released for testing yet from what we've been told by the community contributors.

In other words, as a couple of others have stated, let's wait to see what the final release versions of these ships will be before we say if they are crap or not. Just speculating here, but we are likely looking at sometime in June or July, at the earliest, until the US cruiser line split happens; so, it is likely what we've some people playing with on the test servers will change. How much and to what degree is the question.

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

I will be traveling in China for a while starting from August, so that really doesn't leave me much time to try them out before I head to the other side of the world. That will be quite unfortunate. Are there IP blocks for this server? Also due to different time zones playing during NA's prime time will be quite a chore as it's going to be early morning in China.

If the development team is taking that long to test them before release, then they'd better make sure the end result is decent, or even good.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
384 posts
10,049 battles
7 minutes ago, Zionas said:

I will be traveling in China for a while starting from August, so that really doesn't leave me much time to try them out before I head to the other side of the world. That will be quite unfortunate. Are there IP blocks for this server? Also due to different time zones playing during NA's prime time will be quite a chore as it's going to be early morning in China.

If the development team is taking that long to test them before release, then they'd better make sure the end result is decent, or even good.

Nope seen alot of chinese players before on the NA server  so I doubt its being blocked but idk how china does their great fire wall

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
4 hours ago, Zionas said:

I just watched Notser's video where he tests the Pensacola / SLC down at Tier 6, and boy oh boy have they nerfed the ship. Much slower turret traverse among other things, and everything just sucks. I'm doing alright in the current Pensacola at Tier 7 (despite what many say about it) and I am planning to keep it so I can munch on more Tier 5 and 6 cruisers. However, if the Tier 6 Pensacola that Notser played is going to become the live version, then I'll be very unhappy to say the least. I hope they don't do the same to NOLA which will be Tier 7. I wonder whether USN CAs in their current form need any nerfs to drop a tier, considering how outmatched they are by their same tier contemporaries.

A question. Once the ships are moved down a tier, do I get to retain the stats I've accumulated in their current Tier 7-9 versions?

Dude, do you always rely on other people to do your thinking for you? Is there something preventing you from analyzing the information yourself and coming to your own conclusion?

You have the ship stats in front of you, there are plenty of ships you can use for comparison assuming you have the experience to understand how. Look at the stats - and do your own math. Dont rely on others to do your thinking for you and to tell you how you should feel about certain aspects of the games. Many CCs dont know wth they are talking about. Even though Notser is probably one of the better CCs, I dont agree with a lot of what he says. In the end, its just his opinion. Putting a strong ship like Pensa w/ 10 8" guns at tier 6 (where you are fighting weak ships like Nurnberg/Aoba) is borderline OP.

CC content should be used to give you a general idea, you shouldnt be formulating an opinion before you even play the ship. Otherwise you'll find yourself quickly hating things you would have otherwise liked.

Edited by Ulthwey

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

As far as I understand, the Chinese internet authorities have no reason to ban a game like this one because it's not politically or culturally sensitive in any way. If they did I'd honestly find it stupid beyond belief. Don't want to get overly political here because it's a game but I hold anarchist views, so I rarely comment on whether a government does good or bad because I'm skeptical of the state as a construct. I guess I could say that the very nature of a nation-state's existence is to control and suppress, to one degree or another. Anyway.

If they do decide to nerf the Pensacola significantly for Tier 6, that would place her in a very bad position because Tier 6 still gets uptiered a lot, though slightly less than Tier 5. She'd still be facing her former contemporaries at Tier 7 on a regular basis, but she herself has become weaker. As for New Orleans, which will drop from the hellish T8 MM to the current sweet spot at Tier 7, I think all it takes would be a 1-second nerf to her reload because she will already be losing access to radar and will have one less upgrade module. These USN cruisers, when downtiered, require little to no nerfing. I guess in the meantime I'll play Pepsi at Tier 7 while it lasts, and hope for the best once the split goes live. I have New Orleans and I'm close to researching Baltimore but I don't play New Orleans because.... Tier 8.

Once the split goes live will we get the ships in their new versions fully upgraded, with Commanders that have multiple undistributed skill points? WIll the accumulated EXP from their previous versions carry over?

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

I'm hoping for the best but I wont be surprised if WG turns both lines into junk. After all, they're US Cruisers.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
9,807 posts
27,863 battles

The Pensa is going to be really great for operations. Good AA, potent guns. She will wreck in Killer Whale and Newport Defense.