You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Berlimawurst

USS Boise 10km Radar OP?

52 comments in this topic

[HE]
Members
176 posts
2,323 battles

The base concealment of this ship is 11.88, with CE and camo it can easily reach 10km

The radar range is 9.99km for 20s at tier 7.

It has the insane fire power of 15 6 inch rifles at Tier 7

This ship has similar DPM to the Des Moines bow in at T10

In addition, unlike RN CL that are easily killed when being detected in the open sea, the Boise has similar armor and citadel as the T6 Cleveland, which are very difficult to citadel. 

The Indianapolis with 10km radar is balanced because she does not have the DPM to kill DDs fast enough, but apparently Boise is way too much.

I would say give she the same radar on Atlanta (8.5km) is a better choice. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts

Yeah, I didn't even know Boise was in-game.  I know about Helena, but she's a tech-tree ship being tested...

Source or replay would be appreciated.

Edited by mavfin87

[WOLF3]
Members
19,232 posts
17,583 battles

This is what we know so far for us Non-Supertesters.

Base Surface Detection is 11.5km.  I'm not sure how accurate the Wiki Page is on Boise since it's woefully incomplete.  If going by 11.88km as the wiki page says, it is slightly worse than current Tier VIII New Orleans with 11.82km range.  With full Stealth Build NOLA goes down to 9.1km, but she has CSM1 access to do this.  Boise as a Tier VII will not have access to that upgrade slot.  The closest Tier VII or below Crusier that came to my head approaching 11.88km base surface detection is VI Aoba with 12.06km.  With full stealth build, Aoba goes down to 10.3km, so Boise would probably be hovering right at 10km.

Radar.  There's 2 USN Radar consumables at Tier VII.  Atlanta with 8.49km range and Indianapolis with 9.9km range.  I haven't seen anything saying which of those Boise would get, but it's clear from the devblog Boise will get Radar one way or another.

I would not be too worried about Boise's theoretical DPM if you're a DD.  Because those are Cleveland shells.  THEY FLOAT.  They have trouble hitting Non-BBs at 11km, much less DDs that are even smaller, faster, and more agile. 

What it should be good in doing is threatening smoke camping Cruisers.  This isn't like Pensacola, Indianapolis that are spotted far away and dealt with.  The new USN CLs are sneakier.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
9,807 posts
27,863 battles

Isn't this going to be the South American premium? They hinted at that at her announcement.

More radar. Just what the game needs. 

• Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
15,279 posts
11,970 battles

11.5km * 0.9 * 0.97 = 10.04km

Boise: 15guns x 6rpm x 2200dmg = 198,000 pdmg

Des Moines: 9guns x 10.91rpm x 2800dmg = 274,932 pdmg

So you're not even close, really

[WOLF3]
Members
19,232 posts
17,583 battles
22 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Isn't this going to be the South American premium? They hinted at that at her announcement.

You can see in the devblog I linked that the Boise skin is already there.  They could still do the Argentine skin of this ship as it was sold to them Post-WWII.  You can have 2 of the same ship in the same tier, just like what happened with Nurnberg -> Makarov.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,480 posts
6,078 battles
1 hour ago, Berlimawurst said:

The base concealment of this ship is 11.88, with CE and camo it can easily reach 10km

In addition, unlike RN CL that are easily killed when being detected in the open sea, the Boise has similar armor and citadel as the T6 Cleveland, which are very difficult to citadel. 

The Indianapolis with 10km radar is balanced because she does not have the DPM to kill DDs fast enough, but apparently Boise is way too much.

There is NOTHING balanced about the Indianapolis.  It’s one of the worst ships in the game.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,232 posts
17,583 battles
2 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

There is NOTHING balanced about the Indianapolis.  It’s one of the worst ships in the game.

Indianapolis is so bad, look how she did last Tier VII Ranked:

DAzDYie.jpg

The only ship worse than Indianapolis is Ranger, and that's not a good thing! :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
38 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Could be.  Phoenix was General Belgrano, and Boise was the other Argentinan Brooklyn-class cruiser...

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,609 posts
15,896 battles

Cleveland is not all that hard to citadel.

1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Where are you seeing this? 

In his dreams.

[INTEL]
Members
9,807 posts
27,863 battles
16 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

LOL. I always thought so too. But if you look at the Russian server, it is third in win rate despite its crappy damage numbers. The power of radar, I expect.

image.thumb.png.79504e3c0d981c9935ce17714f4cb9ea.png

[LUCK]
Members
1,653 posts
22,921 battles

Removed what was irrelevant. Still don't see your original point, looks fine to me.

[HE]
Members
176 posts
2,323 battles
2 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

11.5km * 0.9 * 0.97 = 10.04km

Boise: 15guns x 6rpm x 2200dmg = 198,000 pdmg

Des Moines: 9guns x 10.91rpm x 2800dmg = 274,932 pdmg

So you're not even close, really

Des Moines showing side = suicide, so I said Bow in DPM (only 6 front guns)

[HE]
Members
176 posts
2,323 battles
2 hours ago, Umikami said:

Cleveland is not all that hard to citadel.

In his dreams.

How about this. 

Cleveland is way harder to citadel than British radar cruisers (Edin/Nep/Mino)

I think this is easier to understand.

[HE]
Members
519 posts
8,942 battles
2 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

Bosie is indeed in game right now:

U.S.S. Boise CL-47

Max Concealment: 10.16km

Radar Range: 9.90km

Thanks for the clarification.

I also believe that 8.5km radar is more suitable at tier 7

especially when most DD torp ranges are only around 8km

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,609 posts
15,896 battles
37 minutes ago, Berlimawurst said:

How about this. 

Cleveland is way harder to citadel than British radar cruisers (Edin/Nep/Mino)

I think this is easier to understand.

You have a point with that, (but she still isn't all that hard), but then again, all those ships can heal; Cleve can't! I find it very frustrating to almost have an RN CL dead; then he smokes, and heals as he runs away!

YAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG!

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,480 posts
6,078 battles
3 hours ago, Taichunger said:

LOL. I always thought so too. But if you look at the Russian server, it is third in win rate despite its crappy damage numbers. The power of radar, I expect.

image.thumb.png.79504e3c0d981c9935ce17714f4cb9ea.png

It’s a whole different meta over there.   They play the game completely differently than we do.  Ergo,  how things stack up on the Russian server is pretty much apples and oranges compared to us.

On the US server, there’s no question the Indy is nigh on useless and shouldn’t be considered for any balancing purposes.

[INTEL]
Members
9,807 posts
27,863 battles
16 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

It’s a whole different meta over there.   They play the game completely differently than we do.  Ergo,  how things stack up on the Russian server is pretty much apples and oranges compared to us.

On the US server, there’s no question the Indy is nigh on useless and shouldn’t be considered for any balancing purposes.

Yeah, I just thought it was amazing, because I totally agree that Indy is garbage. But I can see why WG has never buffed it, because on the Russian server it is already OP.

[LEGIO]
Members
3,250 posts
6,004 battles

10 second reload time? Does that mean Helena gets a 10 reload as well? That's rather disappointing considering IRL the St. Louis class could manage 8-10 rounds per minute.

[SYN]
Members
15,279 posts
11,970 battles
2 hours ago, Berlimawurst said:

Des Moines showing side = suicide, so I said Bow in DPM (only 6 front guns)

against DDs???????????

[HE]
Members
519 posts
8,942 battles
6 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

against DDs???????????

A random game is not 1vs1.

Usually DM going out the fire 9 guns at DD get deleted quickly in early game, but Boise can get away with eating a few pen/overpens mostly.