Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
crunchychickenwings

Is TA a must take on 19pt Asashio commander?

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
36 posts
5,442 battles

If i take radio location I cannot spec into both TA and SE. 

Current build  Tier 1: PM,PT  Tier 2: TA,AR, LS Tier 3:TAM Tirer 4: RL, CE

Is the Additional speed worth trading off the juicy extra health you get with SE. Alternatively I could drop Torpedo Armament and get SE that way.

 

Help:cap_wander:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,993
[RLGN]
Members
10,098 posts
19,494 battles
4 minutes ago, crunchychickenwings said:

If i take radio location I cannot spec into both TA and SE. 

Current build  Tier 1: PM,PT  Tier 2: TA,AR, LS Tier 3:TAM Tirer 4: RL, CE

Is the Additional speed worth trading off the juicy extra health you get with SE. Alternatively I could drop Torpedo Armament and get SE that way.

 

Help:cap_wander:

TAE? Or TA?

Faster reloads is up to you, but your concealment should be good enough that a few k off the range of the torps for some extra speed shouldn’t matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
36 posts
5,442 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

TAE? Or TA?

Faster reloads is up to you, but your concealment should be good enough that a few k off the range of the torps for some extra speed shouldn’t matter.

Torpedo acceleration is what im thinking about keeping or dropping, I guess concealment on the torps is so good loosing a little speed is trivial. However cutting down the time to target from a long range strike seemed somewhat valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,143
[SALVO]
Members
20,143 posts
19,989 battles

Personally, on a DD that's trying to stay hidden the entire match, I'd probably give up AP and either PT or PM to get SE.  Then again, I'm not so sure that SE is all that necessary if you're doing a good job at staying hidden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
161
[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles

To me cutting down on time to target is useful. My opinion might change in a few weeks, but right now with the Asashio flooded mm it 20km torps are almost useless. That being said, the speed is nice but not necessary if you find other skills you like more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,143
[SALVO]
Members
20,143 posts
19,989 battles
13 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

To me cutting down on time to target is useful. My opinion might change in a few weeks, but right now with the Asashio flooded mm it 20km torps are almost useless. That being said, the speed is nice but not necessary if you find other skills you like more.

Honestly, I tend to think that torps with a 20 km range are too much of a good thing.  No matter how invisible the torps might be, it still takes a while for the torps to cover that distance, during which time, the target ship could simply decide to change could for reasons completely unrelated to torpedo evasion.  To me, there's no real down side, except perhaps for the cost of taking the TA skill itself, to the TA skill, 5 kts more speed and the torp range is "only" 16 km?

The REAL downside to TA on a captain you might choose to flip around between IJN premium DDs is that not all of those premium DDs are suited to having a TA-trained captain.  You sure as heck don't want to use TA captain on the Kamikaze/Fujin!  But if you're using, say, a Shimmy captain in your Asashio, then TA might be worth taking.

Overall, TA is a skill that if you use regular tech tree DD captains in premium DDs, you have to think long and hard about whether taking it is a wise choice.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,777
[SQUAD]
Members
8,034 posts
8,371 battles
17 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

To me cutting down on time to target is useful. My opinion might change in a few weeks, but right now with the Asashio flooded mm it 20km torps are almost useless. That being said, the speed is nice but not necessary if you find other skills you like more.

Ah, then you're playing it wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
36 posts
5,442 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, I tend to think that torps with a 20 km range are too much of a good thing.  No matter how invisible the torps might be, it still takes a while for the torps to cover that distance, during which time, the target ship could simply decide to change could for reasons completely unrelated to torpedo evasion.  To me, there's no real down side, except perhaps for the cost of taking the TA skill itself, to the TA skill, 5 kts more speed and the torp range is "only" 16 km?

The REAL downside to TA on a captain you might choose to flip around between IJN premium DDs is that not all of those premium DDs are suited to having a TA-trained captain.  You sure as heck don't want to use TA captain on the Kamikaze/Fujin!  But if you're using, say, a Shimmy captain in your Asashio, then TA might be worth taking.

Overall, TA is a skill that if you use regular tech tree DD captains in premium DDs, you have to think long and hard about whether taking it is a wise choice.

Good point, im probably going to put this captain in my Shiratsuyu where TA would not work with the 10km torps. I will  probably just drop TA I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,777
[SQUAD]
Members
8,034 posts
8,371 battles

No. The torps are so stealthy that whether at 67 or at 72 knots, they have virtually zero time to avoid them. For Asashio, range is life. I've gotten most of my hits from 12-20 km, and roughly 75% of those beyond 16km. EM, LS, and JoaT are far more needed T2 skills.(AR not so much, if you do it right, you'll take negligible damage, rendering AR worthless and 2 wasted skill points.)

 

What you need to do is not just note where the ships you can hit are, but note what's between you and those ships. Set your shots up so that the vast majority don't get spotted, and you'll be rewarded with hits over and over. Fire tight, overlapping spreads. Remember, you're not an area of denial ship, you're an assassin, a sniper.

 

My overall torp accuracy in the game is 5%, it's 10% with Asashio. I've had 1 game with 1 hit, 3 with 3, 2 with 5, and the rest have been 6 or more, including 5 with at least 8. Out of 13 rounds, I've done over 120k 4 times. That 1 hit game did 35k damage with just one torp. Flooding is hell, gents.

Edited by Th3KrimzonD3mon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,777
[SQUAD]
Members
8,034 posts
8,371 battles
3 minutes ago, crunchychickenwings said:

Good point, im probably going to put this captain in my Shiratsuyu where TA would not work with the 10km torps. I will  probably just drop TA I guess.

I use TA on one ship, Gearing, and it makes that captain unsuitable for any other USN ship. The same thing applies to IJN ships, with Shima and her 20's and maybe, I stress maybe, Yugumo with her 12's, being the exceptions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,939 posts
10,762 battles

Yes. It takes a long time for any torp to go 20km.

No. You don't have to always target ships from 20km away. Anything over 15km are crapshots.

5kt on top of 67kt is really not much. Unless you have no better skill to get, than get TA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,201
[HINON]
Supertester
20,555 posts
13,975 battles

What nobody has mentioned yet is that draw distance on a DD is 16km, so nothing above 16km is drawn in your screen anyways, even if spotted. So what exactly are you going to launch your torpedoes at beyond 16km? With TA Asashio's torpedoes have exactly 16km range.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
430
[PLPT]
Members
933 posts
8,232 battles
32 minutes ago, Lert said:

What nobody has mentioned yet is that draw distance on a DD is 16km, so nothing above 16km is drawn in your screen anyways, even if spotted. So what exactly are you going to launch your torpedoes at beyond 16km? With TA Asashio's torpedoes have exactly 16km range.

Maybe this is finally a case where the Target Acquisition module is useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
161
[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
4 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

No. The torps are so stealthy that whether at 67 or at 72 knots, they have virtually zero time to avoid them. For Asashio, range is life. I've gotten most of my hits from 12-20 km, and roughly 75% of those beyond 16km. EM, LS, and JoaT are far more needed T2 skills.(AR not so much, if you do it right, you'll take negligible damage, rendering AR worthless and 2 wasted skill points.)

 

What you need to do is not just note where the ships you can hit are, but note what's between you and those ships. Set your shots up so that the vast majority don't get spotted, and you'll be rewarded with hits over and over. Fire tight, overlapping spreads. Remember, you're not an area of denial ship, you're an assassin, a sniper.

 

My overall torp accuracy in the game is 5%, it's 10% with Asashio. I've had 1 game with 1 hit, 3 with 3, 2 with 5, and the rest have been 6 or more, including 5 with at least 8. Out of 13 rounds, I've done over 120k 4 times. That 1 hit game did 35k damage with just one torp. Flooding is hell, gents.

Well I assume you get lucky with those 16km+ hits. The only time I wish I didn’t have TA is when a ship is heading away from me and is near 15-16km. You dont render ships past 16km and even if you do the gaps between torps are massive. Play it how you want but that’s my take on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[NNC]
Members
1,162 posts
15,703 battles
10 hours ago, Lert said:

What nobody has mentioned yet is that draw distance on a DD is 16km, so nothing above 16km is drawn in your screen anyways, even if spotted. So what exactly are you going to launch your torpedoes at beyond 16km? With TA Asashio's torpedoes have exactly 16km range.

Eh, I launched torps on a Tirpitz at 18 7km yesterday and scored two hits.

It was in a ranked match even.

Edited by Jakajan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
804
[WOLFB]
Members
2,566 posts
10,447 battles

Considering how stealthy and fast these torps are, adding 5kts would not change a lot. 

 

Personally I would build my captain like that :

-PM

-LS

-SE

-CE

-RL

-TAE

-AR

 

Asashio has Kagerou concealment and your torps are deadly against BB (also CV but it doesn't really count). Actually maybe BFT could be a decent choice instead of TAE, to give a slight boost to your guns if you must use them. Against BB it will be a piece of cake, against other DD, you will have a better time using your guns.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,461
[SYN]
Members
15,289 posts
11,987 battles

How to dump torps from beyond rendering range (Starting at 1:14:30)

 

I took EM instead of TA, because that helps in gun fights, which you should totally do as an IJN DD.

Edited by MrDeaf
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
111
[VNES]
Members
456 posts
6,713 battles

Take EM and BFT, surprises your opponents win battles. I have killed more DDs in my 2 day old Asashio than BBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[NNC]
Members
1,162 posts
15,703 battles

I have pt, ls, ar, se, bft, ce, with 2 points left over. I may change my spec but I like it. Might go jack of all trades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[NNC]
Members
1,162 posts
15,703 battles

I ended up taking PT, LS, AR, SE, BFT, RPF and CE on my 19 point captain, if this helps anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
29 posts
8,170 battles

I am specing my Assashio towards guns and will Torpedo Acceleration. I just feel Torpedo Reload it's pointless since the torps only effective against capital ships. I make up for the reload with Adrenaline Rush and cherry picking my torp shots.

The Assashio's guns are nice and accurate for the most part, and hit pretty decent. It almost feels like she b it's a Pan-Asian ship at heart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×