You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grflrgl

Dear Asashio Players

35 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
559 posts

I'm not trying to be mean or start a flame session here. But...

I've seen the Asashio in several games this weekend. In two games, I got into isolated gunfights with the opposing Asashio's. In both of those fights, the Asashio skipper stopped firing long enough to throw torpedoes at me. Here's the catch...

I was in a Kagero at the time.

So a couple of quick pointers:

First off, your torpedoes only work against BBs. I will, as I did several times this weekend, drive right over them. Not to be mean spirited or anything, but you really need to focus your torpedoes on ships that they can hit. Shooting multiple torpedo rounds at a DD is a potato move, and we don't want IJN potatoes.

Second point, the Asashio is about the only ship I'll happily go to guns with in a Kagero. That should tell you something.

Please, for the good of all of us, think twice before taking the Asashio into a game with only 7 opponents, maybe two of which you'll be able to obliterate with those torpedoes of yours. Those guns don't frighten anyone, and those torpedoes are only going to frighten a couple of opposing ships.

Sincerely, 

Grflrgl

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
17 minutes ago, Grflrgl said:

I've seen the Asashio in several games this weekend. In two games, I got into isolated gunfights with the opposing Asashio's. In both of those fights, the Asashio skipper stopped firing long enough to throw torpedoes at me. Here's the catch...

First off, your torpedoes only work against BBs. I will, as I did several times this weekend, drive right over them. Not to be mean spirited or anything, but you really need to focus your torpedoes on ships that they can hit. Shooting multiple torpedo rounds at a DD is a potato move, and we don't want IJN potatoes.

Second point, the Asashio is about the only ship I'll happily go to guns with in a Kagero. That should tell you something.

Please, for the good of all of us, think twice before taking the Asashio into a game with only 7 opponents, maybe two of which you'll be able to obliterate with those torpedoes of yours. Those guns don't frighten anyone, and those torpedoes are only going to frighten a couple of opposing ships.

Sincerely, 

Grflrgl

The problem is that far too many people buy ships without understanding some of their limitations.  And I expect that some Asashio buyers, once they discover that their torpedoes can only hit BBs or CVs, will scream bloody murder and demand refunds (and not get them because they already played a battle in them) and get all ticked off and quit the game.  

It's always amusing seeing someone whose DD has DWTs firing them uselessly at a DD.

[CUTER]
Members
809 posts
20,959 battles
21 minutes ago, Grflrgl said:

I promise not to throw torps at you...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
8 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The problem is that far too many people buy ships without understanding some of their limitations.  And I expect that some Asashio buyers, once they discover that their torpedoes can only hit BBs or CVs, will scream bloody murder and demand refunds (and not get them because they already played a battle in them) and get all ticked off and quit the game.  

It's always amusing seeing someone whose DD has DWTs firing them uselessly at a DD.

Torpedoes don't always have to hit to be effective. I am not a very good DD player but I have watched several DD with deep water torps get opposing DD's to turn away because they react before they think. Question on the Asashio's torps since I haven't seen one, are the noticeably different from standard torps and regular deep water torps?

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Torpedoes don't always have to hit to be effective. I am not a very good DD player but I have watched several DD with deep water torps get opposing DD's to turn away because they react before they think. Question on the Asashio's torps since I haven't seen one, are the noticeably different from standard torps and regular deep water torps?

I would never waste torps in such a way.  First of all, you're looking at that long reload, so I'd hate to waste a reload just to hope to spook an enemy DD.  Secondly, any DD player who would get spooked by DWTs is a noob who can't differentiate DWTs from regular torps.

I will say though that I don't know if there's a difference between the PA DW torp icons and the Asashio'sm because if you're in a CRUISER, it becomes an important distinction.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
7,445 posts
13,614 battles
25 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Even more amusing is when that DD turns to avoid them and loses guns tracking target.

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I would never waste torps in such a way.  First of all, you're looking at that long reload, so I'd hate to waste a reload just to hope to spook an enemy DD.  Secondly, any DD player who would get spooked by DWTs is a noob who can't differentiate DWTs from regular torps.

I will say though that I don't know if there's a difference between the PA DW torp icons and the Asashio'sm because if you're in a CRUISER, it becomes an important distinction.

I think this is dependent on the graphics settings but people have complained that they can't see the difference between DWT's and standard torps.

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
3 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Even more amusing is when that DD turns to avoid them and loses guns tracking target.

Nah.  Like mine better because I didn't have to pay for my amusement with wasted torps and a long reload.  I get to laugh at them thinking that those torps would hurt or scare me while I just keep shooting!  :cap_rambo:

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

This, people tend to react automatically to torpedoes.

Beta Testers
1,939 posts
10,762 battles
31 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

The fact that there are useless Asashio drivers does not mean Asashio is a useless ship.

And the false sense of security will make the competent Asashio drivers even more deadly.

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I think this is dependent on the graphics settings but people have complained that they can't see the difference between DWT's and standard torps.

Possible.  I have my game set fairly high, but not maxed out, since my laptop isn't a hardcore gaming laptop (though it is a very good one).  The diff I see is that regular torps are small triangles, while DWTs are very tiny triangles.  It would be nice though if the torp icons were easier to see and differentiate, since not all players have such good eyes or computers.

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I guess that I'm just used to the difference between regular and DWTs, since I ground up to the Yueyang.

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Possible.  I have my game set fairly high, but not maxed out, since my laptop isn't a hardcore gaming laptop (though it is a very good one).  The diff I see is that regular torps are small triangles, while DWTs are very tiny triangles.  It would be nice though if the torp icons were easier to see and differentiate, since not all players have such good eyes or computers.

I can tell but not till they are relatively close.

[--O--]
Members
3 posts
2,354 battles

I did run asashio twice in ranked and had pretty decent results in it. 50k spotting and 100k damage eith 2 caps and a trio of kills, one of them a gun kill vs an enemy aki. Going to your guns on that ship is all about knowing how much damage you can do if you land your shots. I'm willing to trade some of my hp to kill an enemy dd on 5k hp in ranked. Only reason I played it cuz it had seemed like there were 3 or 4 bbs on each team and I wanted to capitalize on that, and it worked. Later that night, I was playing the chappy and I noticed on 2 bbs per team. 

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I can tell but not till they are relatively close.

LOL.  Well, BrushWolf, since you can't even detect DWTs until they're relatively close, your statement is kind of a given.  :Smile_hiding:

[-GPS-]
Members
2,717 posts
28,246 battles
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

My graphics are maxed out but sadly I can’t press a few buttons and make my eyes work better. If I have time, I can distinguish between normal and deep water torps.  However, you don’t have time with deep water torps unless someone else spots them first. My biggest problem is when driving a DD and seeing multiple torp spreads. I don’t consistently know which ones to dodge. 

An Asashio launched at least 4 spreads of torps at my Belfast.  There were only 2 red DDs left and the other was at the far edge of the map. It was sad.  Especially when he smoked up 7.5 km away from me. Apparently he had no idea what a Belfast is either.  

[-GPS-]
Members
2,717 posts
28,246 battles
25 minutes ago, Crucis said:

[snip]

That is an important question.  I was on a flank with a Yueyang. A red cruiser turned broadside to BBs to avoid my torps. I was aiming at the BBs behind him. I don’t think he had any way on knowing which of us launched those torps. 

Members
1,775 posts
11,192 battles

I'm a DD player and mostly play IJN DDs. I find the Asashio to be a one trick pony. It's hard enough playing IJN DD in high tier battles with Radar, torp detection nerfs, planes etc. but I couldn't imagine not being able to defend against DDs and cruisers to boot.
Kagero has the same detection ( 5.4 km) but I wouldn't trade her ability to fire torpedoes at DDs and CAs for a torp boost, not to mention tier 2 guns. There's an assumption that battles are full of BBs. Well, I often find myself with no enemy BBs in sight. Only CAs and gunboats. What happens when your the last ship and the enemy has two cruisers capping your base? There's nothing you can do but watch.

The downside outweigh any upside for this prem.  

• Cool 1

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

LOL.  Well, BrushWolf, since you can't even detect DWTs until they're relatively close, your statement is kind of a given.  :Smile_hiding:

Team spotting torps. I was playing on a laptop earlier and a dd dodge torps but spotted them. I couldn’t tell until they were closer to me that they were deep water and I didn’t need to worry. 

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles
2 hours ago, Grflrgl said:

Sincerely, 

Grflrgl

The problem being Asashio was designed around defeating last ranks BB meta and was released during ranked tells me she was very much intended to be used in ranked.

Edited by GreyFox78659

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles
14 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I'm a DD player and mostly play IJN DDs. I find the Asashio to be a one trick pony. It's hard enough playing IJN DD in high tier battles with Radar, torp detection nerfs, planes etc. but I couldn't imagine not being able to defend against DDs and cruisers to boot.
Kagero has the same detection ( 5.4 km) but I wouldn't trade her ability to fire torpedoes at DDs and CAs for a torp boost, not to mention tier 2 guns. There's an assumption that battles are full of BBs. Well, I often find myself with no enemy BBs in sight. Only CAs and gunboats. What happens when your the last ship and the enemy has two cruisers capping your base? There's nothing you can do but watch.

Or spot them for your BBs.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,717 posts
28,246 battles
2 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

You are correct that there are some battles where you are the last ship and can't kill cruisers.  However, Asashio is more feast than famine.  Also, that Asashio mission bonus plus 200% first win this weekend produces awesome XP!

Note in the following battle 25% of my damage was with GUNS.  That's right.  I damaged 3 DDs including the one I sank.  Then there are the caps:  3 Solo caps and an assist.

Spoiler

shot-18_04.28_10_44.47-0109.thumb.jpg.eaa27b513e4883a6fe329bb20840b686.jpg

shot-18_04.29_14_37.26-0175.thumb.jpg.3c2ef8d83e21c4025616fd6c13f42930.jpg

shot-18_04.29_14_37.30-0271.thumb.jpg.4603afe850672ae0ec69c7515b4e5464.jpg

I was running some special camo, but 2,036 Free XP and 22,376 Elite Commander XP is really nice!  My win rate has dropped to 64% after 11 battles, and average damage is down to 98k with 1.27 kills.  Not bad for a one trick pony.

Members
706 posts
7,897 battles
On 4/29/2018 at 11:51 AM, Landing_Skipper said:

You are correct that there are some battles where you are the last ship and can't kill cruisers.  However, Asashio is more feast than famine.  Also, that Asashio mission bonus plus 200% first win this weekend produces awesome XP!

Note in the following battle 25% of my damage was with GUNS.  That's right.  I damaged 3 DDs including the one I sank.  Then there are the caps:  3 Solo caps and an assist.

Reveal hidden contents

shot-18_04.28_10_44.47-0109.thumb.jpg.eaa27b513e4883a6fe329bb20840b686.jpg

shot-18_04.29_14_37.26-0175.thumb.jpg.3c2ef8d83e21c4025616fd6c13f42930.jpg

shot-18_04.29_14_37.30-0271.thumb.jpg.4603afe850672ae0ec69c7515b4e5464.jpg

I was running some special camo, but 2,036 Free XP and 22,376 Elite Commander XP is really nice!  My win rate has dropped to 64% after 11 battles, and average damage is down to 98k with 1.27 kills.  Not bad for a one trick pony.

Off topic:

So your 67-68% WR in the Kamikaze R? Solo, Mixed?

Looking at your stats, WR, SRV and XP, your more aggressive at playing the objectives then me I'm guessing.

Well done.

Members
161 posts
1,498 battles
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, BrushWolf said:

I know I usually do.  I'm sure I've done so needlessly to DW torps but it's that or risk getting sunk if I'm not 100% sure which ship launched them.

I've never noticed a difference between DW and regular torp icons - interesting that there is one.