You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HooplaJones

Want Refund of Captain Skill Points for Rendering Issue

53 comments in this topic

[NOOBS]
[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
603 posts
13,149 battles

Seriously WG a refund of Skill Points is in order.

SubOctavian posted in a LOCKED thread that the Rendering Issue was fixed on the battle view but the minimap was still going to have some issues.

I spent over 250K of captain skill points moving captains around for ranked play.  What I find is that the rendering issue is worse.  I can live with some glitches and issues, however, WG said it was fixed, and its not.

1. Cruisers 7K away passing between Islands and not appearing until its too late to shoot.
  2. Radar shows ships on the other side of an Island 3.3K away, the radar goes off, you come around the island ready to fire and the ship does not appear, then appears at 2.3K after it fires upon you.
  3. Ships disappear at 3K you loose fire focus, and even if you fire your dispersion is now so bad its a miss.
  4. Click 2-3 times to launch Torpedoes and NOW 2-3 clicks sometimes to fire your main guns.

Competitive play really demands better.  To say I am frustrated is an understatement,  to charge to respec Captains to ships and change skills while this goes on is fair?    

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,929 posts
10,828 battles

Umm lol wish granted, there is currently free Captain skill point reset at the moment. If you look it should say the cost is 0 Doubloons for the reset.

[SOFOP]
Members
764 posts
6,831 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Umm lol wish granted, there is currently free Captain skill point reset at the moment. If you look it should say the cost is 0 Doubloons for the reset.

Only for those who played a clan battle.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,317 posts
6,746 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

there is currently free Captain skill point reset at the moment.

No, I think what the OP means is they spent the points on retraining captains to their new ships. But I don't think this is a valid reason to ask for a refund.

Beta Testers
1,240 posts
15,191 battles

Sounds like your computer has some major deficiencies .........

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,373 battles
52 minutes ago, HooplaJones said:

Seriously WG a refund of Skill Points is in order.

SubOctavian posted in a LOCKED thread that the Rendering Issue was fixed on the battle view but the minimap was still going to have some issues.

I spent over 250K of captain skill points moving captains around for ranked play.  What I find is that the rendering issue is worse.  I can live with some glitches and issues, however, WG said it was fixed, and its not.

1. Cruisers 7K away passing between Islands and not appearing until its too late to shoot.
  2. Radar shows ships on the other side of an Island 3.3K away, the radar goes off, you come around the island ready to fire and the ship does not appear, then appears at 2.3K after it fires upon you.
  3. Ships disappear at 3K you loose fire focus, and even if you fire your dispersion is now so bad its a miss.
  4. Click 2-3 times to launch Torpedoes and NOW 2-3 clicks sometimes to fire your main guns.

Competitive play really demands better.  To say I am frustrated is an understatement,  to charge to respec Captains to ships and change skills while this goes on is fair?    

So because your computer is crapor you are to lazy to remove mods, or do a repair. You think you deserve a skill reset. Even though that would fix nothing? 

Did you try a repair? 

Did you delete all mods? 

Did you keep Wargaming Game Center running during your game since it helps in stabilizeing the connection? 

If the answer to any of these questions is "No". Then you have no pity from me and a self-entitled brat like you certainly does not deserve a free commander skill reset.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,106 posts
4,527 battles
25 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

my PC cost about as much as a used car, and i have issues as well. Im also vanilla

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,240 posts
10,918 battles
16 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

I'm having rendering issues like those described. Perhaps its my computer having major deficiencies.

Predator 17 laptop

i7-6700HQ undervolted and overclocked

GeForce GTX 1060

6Gig Vid ram

16gig system ram

yesterdays avg frame rate 100+

yesterdays avg latency 46ms

Now that we got that out of the way....

I see shells incoming... My guns have locked onto.. "something"... as indicated by the fact that my aiming cursor is now tracking on its own, and I STILL DON'T SEE A TARGET FOR 10 SECONDS... that's unlikely to be a computer "deficiency".

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,373 battles
5 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

I'm having rendering issues like those described. Perhaps its my computer having major deficiencies.

Predator 17 laptop

i7-6700HQ undervolted and overclocked

GeForce GTX 1060

6Gig Vid ram

16gig system ram

yesterdays avg frame rate 100+

yesterdays avg latency 46ms

Now that we got that out of the way....

I see shells incoming... My guns have locked onto.. "something"... as indicated by the fact that my aiming cursor is now tracking on its own, and I STILL DON'T SEE A TARGET FOR 10 SECONDS... that's unlikely to be a computer "deficiency".

Did you run a repair? 

Did you delete all mods? 

Did you keep Wargaming Game Center running during gameplay? 

Try those then start complaining. 

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertester
4,365 posts
6,406 battles
1 hour ago, SgtSpud said:

44 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Did you run a repair? 

Did you delete all mods? 

This is a known bug and in all likelihood the problem is server side, rather than an issue with the OP.  

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,418 battles

I'm trying to figure out why a free captain's still revamping would be in order for something completely unrelated to captain's skills. The rendering problem, regardless of how good or bad someone's rig is, has nothing to do with captains skills. If you are doing well or poorly with currentor previous captains skill builds your captain build effectiveness won't be changedby the rendering...

To put itin real world terms, you're demanding that a tie shop give you a free new set of tires for your car. The tire shop didn't cause your tires to be ruined or supply you with subpar tires. Your tires wore out from normal use. You should be demanding a new coat of paint for your car since the tire shop destroyed the paint by being careless with tools. Your not doing that though and the only conclusions I can draw as to why are that you're either being deliberately unreasonable or deliberately obtuse. Both of those thingsare personal problems and for themyou should get nothing. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,373 battles
17 minutes ago, yashma said:

This is a known bug and in all likelihood the problem is server side, rather than an issue with the OP.  

Funny, run the Wargaming Game Center and I had no problems. So I say it is the OP's problem. 

[RKLES]
Members
8,929 posts
10,828 battles
4 hours ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Did you run a repair? 

Did you delete all mods? 

Wargaming Game Center?

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,373 battles
9 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Wargaming Game Center?

The central app Wargaming is running everything though now.

[HOTEL]
Members
2,018 posts
7,079 battles
4 hours ago, yashma said:

This. WoT had the same issue.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
1,674 posts
1,084 battles
4 hours ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Funny, run the Wargaming Game Center and I had no problems. So I say it is the OP's problem. 

Just because you personally don't have a problem does not mean that a problem doesn't exist.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,373 battles
7 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

Just because you personally don't have a problem does not mean that a problem doesn't exist.

In this context it does. If it was a server problem, I would be having the same issues, the fact I am not by running the Wargaming Game Center means it is not a server side issue. It is a problem on the OP's side so he has no right to demand an form of compensation. 

[WOLF9]
Members
8,821 posts
4,180 battles

I'm convinced that the problem is not a server or client-side issue per se, but an issue with server-client communications, likely produced by the architecture.  (Sub-Octavian implied as much.)  The problem seems to be synchronization between the two and with the rendering engine, for which neither the client nor the server are solely responsible. Is there an issue on the client side that causes the problem to manifest?  Yes.  Is it something that the user can control or ameliorate?  Generally, no. 

WG says that they know what the problem is, and that the fix, in terms of appearance to the player, will take a while.  This patch may have fixed a specific symptom, but not the whole problem (i.e. other symptoms).  We will just have to be patient.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
2,724 posts
8,695 battles
6 hours ago, SgtSpud said:

i7-6800k. 32 GB DDR4. GTX-1080Ti. 100+ mbps bandwidth. Wired connection to the router, not WiFi. Everything's up to date. No deficiencies noted.

6 hours ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Did you run a repair? 

Yep. Didn't help.

Did you delete all mods? 

Tried that, yep. Didn't work.

Yep. Did that too. Actually, I didn't even realize that you could close it while the game was running. Never bothered trying to close it, tbh, because I've got enough CPU and RAM that a little extra overhead doesn't really matter.

Okay! Now I can complain? Are you sure that's okay?

This video shows what people are complaining about. Yes, there's mods in use, but it's the same with or without mods. Are you *sure* you're not seeing this happen?

This is the same clip, running twice through. On the second time, pay careful attention to the top-left corner of the minimap. You'll see a Bayern drawn in there for a bit before it magically jumps to it's correct position, and then a further five seconds delay after that before it's drawn on the screen.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
1,674 posts
1,084 battles
1 hour ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

i7-6800k. 32 GB DDR4. GTX-1080Ti. 100+ mbps bandwidth. Wired connection to the router, not WiFi. Everything's up to date. No deficiencies noted.

Yep. Didn't help.

Yep. Did that too. Actually, I didn't even realize that you could close it while the game was running. Never bothered trying to close it, tbh, because I've got enough CPU and RAM that a little extra overhead doesn't really matter.

This video shows what people are complaining about. Yes, there's mods in use, but it's the same with or without mods. Are you *sure* you're not seeing this happen?

This is the same clip, running twice through. On the second time, pay careful attention to the top-left corner of the minimap. You'll see a Bayern drawn in there for a bit before it magically jumps to it's correct position, and then a further five seconds delay after that before it's drawn on the screen.

Nope, clearly it is ENTIRELY your fault.  Some random guy from the internet who likely lives 1000 miles away says so.

• Funny 1

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
1 hour ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Yep. Didn't help.

If you read the post about it, this is what they decided to do because they kept running into issues that would hurt users without high end pc’s. I’m sure you can look and find the post where they said they have changed it to remove effects rendering before the ship while maintaining the delay between the map and ship showing up. In other words, you no longer see smoke and wake before the ship. They will show up at the same time but the minimap will still show first.

Went and found it for you:

Spoiler

As a part of our Public test we tried out 2 solutions to the ships' 3d rendering and their coinciding minimap appearance issue. Based on your feedback we chose the more popular solution that should cater to most of our players. It only partially deals with this issue, yet it has no unwanted side-effects. We're planning to introduce the next round of fixes in a few updates.

In the 0.7.4 update ship detection will work as following: 3d model rendering and visual effects will happen simultaneously, while the minimap icon will be displayed just like it was in the 0.7.3 version

Edited by Belyy_Klyk

[EGO]
Members
3,495 posts
8 hours ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Did you run a repair? 

Did you delete all mods? 

I did. There are still rendering issues.

Who should I complain to?

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
1 minute ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

I did. There are still rendering issues.

Who should I complain to?

Is it the delay between map and 3D? If so see my reply above

[XBRTC]
Members
2,724 posts
8,695 battles
13 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

If you read the post about it, this is what they decided to do because they kept running into issues that would hurt users without high end pc’s. I’m sure you can look and find the post where they said they have changed it to remove effects rendering before the ship while maintaining the delay between the map and ship showing up. In other words, you no longer see smoke and wake before the ship. They will show up at the same time but the minimap will still show first.

Went and found it for you:

Hide contents

As a part of our Public test we tried out 2 solutions to the ships' 3d rendering and their coinciding minimap appearance issue. Based on your feedback we chose the more popular solution that should cater to most of our players. It only partially deals with this issue, yet it has no unwanted side-effects. We're planning to introduce the next round of fixes in a few updates.

In the 0.7.4 update ship detection will work as following: 3d model rendering and visual effects will happen simultaneously, while the minimap icon will be displayed just like it was in the 0.7.3 version

... yeah, actually, no. That video is from 0.7.3, before the alleged "fix." If I'd been zoomed in, you'd see the Bayern's wake and smoke visible but no ship. 

And I know what Sub Octavian said, and in fact I quoted it already in another thread about this issue. 

He's right, in that removing the visible smoke and wake "only partially deals with this issue," but I think it's a stretch to say that "it has no unwanted side effects." After all, if I can see the wake and the smoke, I can at least get a shot off before my target disappears, even if I can't lock on to it. (Oddly, torpedoes will actually lock on to ships during the lag before they become actually visible, but not your guns. I've had the torpedo lead indicator randomly show up when I don't have a target detected, and then several seconds later I'll be able to see what it's firing at.)

As it stands right now, post-fix, if I'm spotted already, a BB can take a shot at me and once he's visible I might wind up having 5-8 seconds to get my guns on target, figure out the right spot to aim based on angle and speed, and then get the shot off because then the 20s timer is up and he disappears again. God help anyone who likes to watch for a few seconds to make sure that the target isn't making a turn right then, when you've got 10-15 second flight times. That's not an unwanted side effect? Fun! And! Engaging!

Or, hey, here's another good scenario: I'm in a DD. Say I'm in Khab, so I'm doing my thing and shooting a lot and being a nuisance. I'm already detected b/c, Khab, and a previously-undetected Minotaur pops out from behind a rock. He might be only 6-8k away from me, and it takes forever for him to render on my screen. At that range, it doesn't matter how floaty his shells are: if he gets even just a few seconds of invisible firing at me, I'm dead. No unwanted side effects here! Fun! And! Engaging!

Or, actually, here's one that's not even hypothetical, because it happened the other day!

I got pinched a bit too close to an island in my Kamikaze R and was detected by a Texas. I get around the island and make a break to the north. There's smoke there, but as I'm watching, it evaporates and it's empty. I'm at 5.3 now from the TX, very nearly on a reciprocal course, and I'm on speed boost so I'm about a second away from being clear.

5.4... 5.5... still detected? wth?

5.6... STILL DETECTED WHAT THE ACTUAL [EDITED]!?!?!?!

Then I got blapped with HE by a Kongo who's 7+ away and I'm dead.

Who the hell had me detected?!?!?! TX is past 5.4. There's a Muts off to the north, well outside of my detection radius.

As I was sitting there sinking, that is when the Minekaze finally showed up on my screen, at 4-point-something thousand yards away from me. He'd been in the middle of that smoke bank that evaporated and had appeared empty. The TX had me detected until 5.4, so the Minnie could see me. His smoke evaporated right before the TX would have lost me, so he didn't need to re-acquire, and didn't need to re-draw me on the screen. No delay for him, big delay for me.

NO UNWANTED SIDE EFFECTS!

FUN! AND! ENGAGING! 

You say that this is done so that it doesn't negatively impact people without high-end systems, but here's my question: if it's this ate up with my hardware, how is it not even worse for people who don't have a 1080Ti?

Beta Testers
1,240 posts
15,191 battles

I do hope this prob gets resolved in the near future.

Edited by SgtSpud