You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Yinglise

Thoughts on the HMNZS Gambia?

34 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
27 battles

First off, idk man.

I really just woke up one morning and went outside with a Milo cause I'm obese and thought
Man, why does Aus always get the cool stuff :(((

I mean, the HMAS Perth is basically a Leander plus the special configuration that I forgot what was named and the HMNZS Gambia is basically just a Fiji but y'kno, more beer and stuff idk

- p.s. pls no attack for this

-p.s. 2.0 yes I know the HMNZS Achilles is more famous for it had sank the Admiral Graf Spee, but the Achilles was a Leander class, and the HMAS Perth is already an upgraded Leander.

and yes I know it used to be the HMS Gambia, but throughout the rest of WW2 starting from 1943 it was loaned to the New Zealand Navy where it saw extensive use against the Imperial Japanese

i just want some love man :((

Edit : Since I'm sure most people wouldn't scroll down to see a reply I did here's a link to check out on it's history : http://navymuseum.co.nz/hmnzs-gambia/
p.s. scroll down to replies to see some quick factos my guy

The 2nd picture, the one with the 'camouflage' is after being transferred to the RNZN

HMS_Gambia3c.jpg

hmnzs-gambia2.jpg

Edited by Yinglise
had to fix a bit since i'm too tired from hw
  • Cool 2

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,676 posts
8,217 battles

A lovely looking ship. More details would be great!

[SIDE]
Members
793 posts
4,107 battles

Bahhh, Another Belfast. =( 

I'd rather have the HMAS Canberra. That would be a unique ship! We need more heavy cruisers!

f253759f687c29a4ce022c468122a7de.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
6 posts
27 battles
16 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

A lovely looking ship. More details would be great!

I'll just share some interesting facts about her service in the RNZN, you could check out the rest if you ever need to!

1.The ship didn't serve as long as the Achilles, being given to the RNZN formally in January 1944, but I shouldn't think that should change anything!

2.She served in the Eastern Fleet in the Indian Ocean patrolling before she saw her real duty against the Japanese a long with the USN.

3.She participated in a carrier raid on Sabang in April, followed by a similar raid in Surabaya in May. She was then transferred to the British Pacific Fleet.

4.She served an important part in shooting down Japanese planes in Okinawa, a long with protecting USN carriers from raids this would be the first use of the Kamikaze attacks on the fleet.

Special facts that seem interesting, idk

She towed the HMS Ulster to Leyte Gulf, taking a whole 3 days and 760 miles at the speed of 8 knots with the risk of being torpedoed by Japanese submarines the entire time.

She has the distinction of firing the last ever shots of World War 2.

She represented New Zealand at the Tokyo signing, being docked near the Missouri 

She assisted in the evacuation of released Prisoners of War from Wakayma to Tokyo in mid September as well undertaking other more mundane duties.

She also can boast about the fact that she has battle honours from Sabang 1944, Okinawa 1945, and Japan 1945

AAI-0026-HMNZS-Gambia-380x270.jpg

Members
6 posts
27 battles
3 minutes ago, Merlox said:

I'd rather have the HMAS Canberra. That would be a unique ship! We need more heavy cruisers!

Why must Aus get all the cool kid recognition :((

[CVA16]
Beta Testers
47 posts
5,559 battles

OK. How about HMNZS Black Prince, Bellona, or Roylist. The 3 modified Dido class with increased AA loaned to NZ after ww2.

Their ww2 life might have been POM but they served NZ well for the start of the cold war and out performed the RN Town class cruisers in AA trials. So would be an interesting alternate to Fiji or Edinburgh??

Members
6 posts
27 battles
35 minutes ago, tmaco said:

OK. How about HMNZS Black Prince, Bellona, or Roylist. The 3 modified Dido class with increased AA loaned to NZ after ww2.

Their ww2 life might have been POM but they served NZ well for the start of the cold war and out performed the RN Town class cruisers in AA trials. So would be an interesting alternate to Fiji or Edinburgh??

I really would accept anything kiwi, Gambia just popped into my head first because she shot the last shots of WW2 ^^

Plus I feel more like having a ship that is tier 6 than anything, thought I guess I could be fine with a tier 7

Though I just feel like the HMNZS Gambia has a higher chance of actually being thought of in WarGaming because of it's historical attributes /shrug

[POP]
Members
1,467 posts
17,157 battles
3 hours ago, Yinglise said:

First off, idk man.

I really just woke up one morning and went outside with a Milo cause I'm obese and thought

I mean, the HMAS Perth is basically a Leander plus the special configuration that I forgot what was named and the HMNZS Gambia is basically just a Fiji but y'kno, more beer and stuff idk

-p.s. 2.0 yes I know the HMNZS Achilles is more famous for it had sank the Admiral Graf Spee, but the Achilles was a Leander class, and the HMAS Perth is already an upgraded Leander.

and yes I know it used to be the HMS Gambia, but throughout the rest of WW2 starting from 1943 it was loaned to the New Zealand Navy where it saw extensive use against the Imperial Japanese

Edit : Since I'm sure most people wouldn't scroll down to see a reply I did here's a link to check out on it's history : http://navymuseum.co.nz/hmnzs-gambia/

The 2nd picture, the one with the 'camouflage' is after being transferred to the RNZN

HMS_Gambia3c.jpg

hmnzs-gambia2.jpg

Hi

It seems a good ship however the most famous Kiwi ship is HMNZS Achilles it would be odds on that this ship would be  the first New Zealand Premium ship.

regards 

[SPTR]
Members
26,544 posts
12,365 battles

Make it a free xp ship but replace smoke with def aa fire

Members
224 posts
12 battles

A premium Fiji would sell like hotcakes but I'd prefer these unique NZ rebuilds.

1945 HMNZS Achilles (3 turret Leader with great AA and 2x4 torps, kinda like a beefy HungHe)

file

1956 HMNZS Royalist. A tier 6 Commonwealth Belfast? (Ok maybe not)

01fc88b5-fdbc-4f8e-92de-3167e7df7762-A46

file

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles

To me, this is the downside of the Commonwealth ships.  They're all just RN ships given/sold to the commonwealth countries.  There's nothing new.  I so wish that WG would just fold the Commonwealth ships into the RN tree so that they could share commanders, which would make them so much more useful to players as trainers.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,209 posts
14,342 battles
6 hours ago, Yinglise said:

First off, idk man.

HMS_Gambia3c.jpg

hmnzs-gambia2.jpg

Nice looking ship and all for it. Just FYI though Graf Spee was scuttled by the crew. The Achilles, Ajax, and Exeter just damaged it in the Battle. They did not sink it.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,373 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Nice looking ship and all for it. Just FYI though Graf Spee was scuttled by the crew. The Achilles, Ajax, and Exeter just damaged it in the Battle. They did not sink it.

Lets not open that can of worms. This will just end up like when I stated the fact that the US sank no carriers at Midway, the US was to only one to havr a carrier sunk by enemy action that day with the loss of USS Yorktown. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,209 posts
14,342 battles
6 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Lets not open that can of worms. This will just end up like when I stated the fact that the US sank no carriers at Midway, the US was to only one to havr a carrier sunk by enemy action that day with the loss of USS Yorktown. 

??? US sunk four Japanese Carriers in the battle of Midway plus a Cruiser. The Carriers the US sunk were...

• Akagi
  • Hiryu
  • Kaga
  • Soryu

No can of worms to open with Graf Spee as it was scuttled by the Commander, Hans Langsdorff just outside the harbor of Montevideo. They have it on video even.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,373 battles
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

??? US sunk four Japanese Carriers in the battle of Midway plus a Cruiser. The Carriers the US sunk were...

• Akagi
  • Hiryu
  • Kaga
  • Soryu

No can of worms to open with Graf Spee as it was scuttled by the Commander, Hans Langsdorff just outside the harbor of Montevideo. They have it on video even.

Actually no. Kaga, Akagi, Soryu, and Hiryu were all scuttled by order of Yamamoto, with the exception of Soryu all the carriers hit at Midway were reported to be salvageable, Yamamoto made the decision to scuttle the ships after another attack by the USAAC stationed at Midway and a submarine attack on the crippled Kaga. The US did not sink a single carrier at Midway. The only Ship they sunk was Mikuma, after she had collided with Mogami. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,209 posts
14,342 battles
3 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Actually no. Kaga, Akagi, Soryu, and Hiryu were all scuttled by order of Yamamoto, with the exception of Soryu all the carriers hit at Midway were reported to be salvageable, Yamamoto made the decision to scuttle the ships after another attack by the USAAC stationed at Midway and a submarine attack on the crippled Kaga. The US did not sink a single carrier at Midway. The only Ship they sunk was Mikuma, after she had collided with Mogami. 

Disagree with that. More modern revisionist history.

The only one actually scuttled was Hiryu and that was because it was damaged beyond repair. The other 3 were destroyed/sunk by planes (dive bombers). They  were caught with planes on deck rearming/refueling.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,373 battles
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

Disagree with that. More modern revisionist history.

Actually no it is an established fact. All 4 IJN carriers were afloat and not in danger of sinking, all the damage was from fire and ammunition cook-off, there was no danger of sinking. The carriers were each sunk by Japanese destroyers after Yamamoto determined it was not militarily possible to tow them back to Japan for repair.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,209 posts
14,342 battles
1 minute ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Actually no it is an established fact. All 4 IJN carriers were afloat and not in danger of sinking, all the damage was from fire and ammunition cook-off, there was no danger of sinking. The carriers were each sunk by Japanese destroyers after Yamamoto determined it was not militarily possible to tow them back to Japan for repair.

Not going to debate it. Sorry. You can't change history.

No offeanse but no way.

[TBOW]
Members
1,755 posts
12,135 battles
6 hours ago, Merlox said:

Sorry it is not another Belfast, Balfast belongs to the Same Class as the Edinburgh...  This would a premium Fiji class ship.

I do agree the Canderra looks interesting though.

[SIDE]
Members
2,099 posts
3 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Sounds like revisionist [edited] to me as well. There is no trophy for second place but we can help you save face. Scuttle ships to save them from sinking (hodor!!! Der der ) while using kamikaze pilots does not compute.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,557 posts
11,568 battles

For a RNZN premium I'd echo some general points that the ship would basically be same-old, same-old British without much of a purpose.

Of the mooted ships I think Achilles would be my preference, followed by the Royalist, the Gambia is not that noteworthy.

Achilles has the history and allure, as well as a refit we're unlikely to see in RN service. The issue is tiering her, compared to the extant Perth and Huanghe she's a 'worst of both worlds' she'd probably have to be T5 and isn't a great fit there.

The Royalist has the advantage of a fairly unique rebuild which changes her profile considerably compared to a Dido as shown by @creamgravy. Plus she's the 4-turret Bellona configuration which might help make her stand out. She might be an option, though IMO at mid-tiers the Dido is a bit undergunned with 5 turrets and 4 might be a problem.

One note of interest to me is why the RNZN never really seemed to operate Destroyers in WWII. They certainly manned Cruisers, but while Australia and Canada operated Destroyers, especially the Tribal Class (but with Canada also inheriting 'Interwar Standards' and Australia gaining some N-class), as far as I'm aware New Zealand did not.

35 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Lets not open that can of worms. This will just end up like when I stated the fact that the US sank no carriers at Midway,

'Let's not open that can of worms....' Opens another larger can of worms instead

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,373 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Not going to debate it. Sorry. You can't change history.

No offeanse but no way.

Your right can't debate the fact that;

Kaga was sunk by Hagikaze at 7:25 pm on June 4th, 1942.

Akagi was sunk by Arashi, Hagikaze, Maikaze, and Nowaki at 5:20 am June 5th, 1942.

Soryu was sunk by Isokaze at 8:15 pm June 4th, 1942.

And that Hiryu was sunk by damage cased by Makigumo at 9:12 am June 5th 1942.

Didn't know the US had destroyers named Arashi, Hagikaze, Maikaze, Nowaki, Isokaze and Makigumo at Midway thanks for informing me. 

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,373 battles
11 minutes ago, mofton said:

@creamgravy. 'Let's not open that can of worms....' Opens another larger can of worms instead

Yah in the 20/20 world of hindsight that was poorly said on my part.