Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aristotle83

Does anyone else play stock ships?

26 comments in this topic

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

Just curious who else here also doesn't like bothering with upgrades and likes to stick to stock tech tree ships? I know a lot of people upgrade and all but who else here plays stock with their tech tree ship? People talk about how bad the stock versions supposedly are but it's never really bothered me. 

I mean a lot of my fleet is premium and I play like three tech tree ships(got like a dozen or so I don't use) and even in the past, it's probably always been around 2-3 tops with just different ships. Also want to note I do not include camo as an upgrade yes I know the ships look nicer with camo(in many cases anyway, subjectively of course there's exceptions to this).

Edited by Aristotle83

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,484 posts
5,762 battles

I'm not sure why'd you bother with a stock ship when the upgrades are almost universally better functioning and looking. Unless you're doing some battle reenactment RP in a training room, I'd never deliberately handicap myself with a stock loadout if I had the upgraded one.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
669 posts
5,707 battles
6 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

Just curious who else here also doesn't like bothering with upgrades and likes to stick to stock tech tree ships? I know a lot of people upgrade and all but who else here plays stock with their tech tree ship?

Yes and no, I don't spend FXP to upgrade my ships so I play them stock until I unlock the upgrades. I also don't apply every upgrade. I skip upgrades that don't really add much like the Omaha C Hull and I am skipping the Izumo B Hull and going straight to the C Hull.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
863 posts
6,713 battles

Nope. Harekaze takes care of my FreeXP needs. I'll only grind C-hulls. I've become a princess :D

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I very, very rarely use Free XP to unlock modules. It's not like World of Tanks where there's a large difference between stock and upgraded ships.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
33 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

Just curious who else here also doesn't like bothering with upgrades and likes to stick to stock tech tree ships? I know a lot of people upgrade and all but who else here plays stock with their tech tree ship? People talk about how bad the stock versions supposedly are but it's never really bothered me. 

I mean a lot of my fleet is premium and I play like three tech tree ships(got like a dozen or so I don't use) and even in the past, it's probably always been around 2-3 tops with just different ships. Also want to note I do not include camo as an upgrade yes I know the ships look nicer with camo(in many cases anyway, subjectively of course there's exceptions to this).

I never play stock ships, ever.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
863 posts
13,281 battles

People upgrade ships to increase their effectiveness. Your stats seem to suggest that your damage and win totals are well below average. Without any judgment about your choices up to now, I suggest you:

1. Slow down

There is no reason to hurry into high-tier play. You have at least one tier 10 ship but appear to not be doing well with it by any metric currently tracked. Consider a return to mid-tier play until you gain more proficiency. This will help you avoid the almost certain long term frustration of feeling unable to meaningfully contribute to your team. If you are not feeling that now, I offer for your consideration the likelihood that it will before much longer.

2. Upgrade your tech-tree ship hulls, guns, ranges, and torpedoes. And buy the slotted upgrades as well.

Those upgrades are important. Not for you alone. But for your team. Every advantage your ship has contributes to the chance your team will achieve victory. There is no good reason to handicap your team unnecessarily.

3. Talk to your clan-mates about this. There is no substitute for getting advice from your gaming friends, especially those with more experience.

If you are not playing in divisions with your clan-mates, I really encourage you to do so. It adds more fun to the game and is a great way to learn more about the game. That said, if you do not interact with clan-mates very much, there are likely many here in the forums willing to help with any questions you might have regarding ships, upgrades, or tactics for ship types or even specific ships. There are also a lot of very fine Youtube videos (e.g. "Conqueror") that can help you with ideas about ship and captain upgrades.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,308 posts
20,165 battles
18 minutes ago, RichelieuKaiNi said:

I very, very rarely use Free XP to unlock modules. It's not like World of Tanks where there's a large difference between stock and upgraded ships.

I agree, heck just grind out the upgrades in co-op for the low tier stuff. It doesn't take all that long. Free XP is pretty valuable, I wouldn't use it unless I only needed to spend a few hundred to finish a grind. 

• Cool 2

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
978 posts

I played the ognevoi stock hull all the way through, because I liked the quick reload spam of the triple launchers and used it as area denial.

I have never FXPd past any ships or modules.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,550 posts
10,394 battles

I only play stock ship when i'm forced to because I don't have free XP.

But I don't always fully uppgrade ships. I never uppgrade range on IJN DD for instance because it doesn't provide any benefit. 

[PROJX]
Members
1,009 posts
18,332 battles

Yes and no - I do play thru the stock configurations w/o FXPing to get the feel of the ships.   On occasion, I will also keep a earlier hull if it has more torp launchers on a cruiser; a DD has an additional gun vs a later hull giving up the gun for AA.  In this case, I keep the option in inventory so I can experiment w/ different characteristics on the same ship.  In general tho, I Elite all the Tech Tree ships.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,841 posts
4,855 battles

I do...must save those dough for future premium ships that is paid for by free EXP...or hopefully get to a T9 one...

...and no, I don't do conversion.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,194 posts
6,652 battles
2 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

I'd bet on a stock Nicholas over a Farragut any day.

There have been times when a Farragut was eligible for a task that a Nicholas was not (e.g. unlocking Space Battles; playing in ops, to the extent that you'd take a DD there), and for that reason I keep the Farragut. But I am strongly inclined to agree with you, and if I had the slots I'd have kept the Nicholas.

4 hours ago, MasterDiggs said:

Yes and no, I don't spend FXP to upgrade my ships so I play them stock until I unlock the upgrades. I also don't apply every upgrade. I skip upgrades that don't really add much like the Omaha C Hull and I am skipping the Izumo B Hull and going straight to the C Hull.

This. Omaha C takes away a lot without adding much, so I unlocked it to progress to Cleveland but did not buy it. As for the sideways up grades (e.g. Farragut C), I've left them well alone. I grind my ships out, so for a while they're stock, but I'm not good enough to play with one hand behind my back on an ongoing basis.

I will spend FXP to finish getting an upgrade in order to avoid playing an entire game just for a hundred or so XP, and I'm willing to throw a thousand XP at a grind that's in the 70-100K region. The only time I've free XP'd past a ship was on the PTS so I could unlock Furutaka and play with her for a bit, and I must admit I'm tempted to do it on the live server in order to get her while she's cheap, not because I'm particularly eager to avoid the Kuma grind.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
16 hours ago, Amracil said:

People upgrade ships to increase their effectiveness. Your stats seem to suggest that your damage and win totals are well below average. Without any judgment about your choices up to now, I suggest you:

1. Slow down

There is no reason to hurry into high-tier play. You have at least one tier 10 ship but appear to not be doing well with it by any metric currently tracked. Consider a return to mid-tier play until you gain more proficiency. This will help you avoid the almost certain long term frustration of feeling unable to meaningfully contribute to your team. If you are not feeling that now, I offer for your consideration the likelihood that it will before much longer.

2. Upgrade your tech-tree ship hulls, guns, ranges, and torpedoes. And buy the slotted upgrades as well.

Those upgrades are important. Not for you alone. But for your team. Every advantage your ship has contributes to the chance your team will achieve victory. There is no good reason to handicap your team unnecessarily.

3. Talk to your clan-mates about this. There is no substitute for getting advice from your gaming friends, especially those with more experience.

If you are not playing in divisions with your clan-mates, I really encourage you to do so. It adds more fun to the game and is a great way to learn more about the game. That said, if you do not interact with clan-mates very much, there are likely many here in the forums willing to help with any questions you might have regarding ships, upgrades, or tactics for ship types or even specific ships. There are also a lot of very fine Youtube videos (e.g. "Conqueror") that can help you with ideas about ship and captain upgrades.

Respects,

Am

I know you mean well but this came off really condescending, we weren't talking about my in game play just whether or not other people didn't upgrade.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,724 battles
17 hours ago, Aristotle83 said:

Friends don't let friends play stock ships. 

Carry on

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,724 battles
16 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

I know you mean well but this came off really condescending, we weren't talking about my in game play just whether or not other people didn't upgrade.

Just because you don't like what he said or how he said it doesn't make him wrong it some of the best advice a veteran can give you in this game.

Members
9,537 posts
11,898 battles

I grinded through the stock hull on most of the lines.   it really isn't that horrid and it goes pretty quick unless you are t9.    once you upgrade the hull,  it isn't that bad anyway since I do start with retrained captain and  mods. 

[WOLF3]
Members
19,205 posts
17,569 battles
17 hours ago, Ulthwey said:

I never play stock ships, ever.

The last time I ground through a Stock Ship was Stock Amagi.  The OLD Stock Amagi.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,802 posts
4,579 battles
17 hours ago, Cruiser_StLouis said:

I'm not sure why'd you bother with a stock ship when the upgrades are almost universally better functioning and looking. Unless you're doing some battle reenactment RP in a training room, I'd never deliberately handicap myself with a stock loadout if I had the upgraded one.

Truth be told, there are a couple of ships that could work stock reasonably well, though more as the exceptions that justify the rule . Mogami 155mm is the classic one, and there is also Ognevoi with the 2x3 torps  of the stock hull that have 55 sec reload as opposed to the upgraded 2x5 with 90 sec . I might buy it at some point just to check how viable it is :Smile_teethhappy:.

Members
2,165 posts
4,892 battles

For the vast majority of ships, you simply shouldn't be playing them stock. For example, the stock hulls of the USN dreadnoughts are their 1910s-1920s hulls. If you enjoy the extremely poor accuracy, speed, and maneuverability, as well as a lower HP pool, then by all means go ahead because that makes you a total masochist.

Sign in to follow this