You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017

Why would anyone choose Graf Spee over leander?

42 comments in this topic

Members
422 posts
2,175 battles

So this one time I got into an argument with a guy and he kept saying Spee has better guns and is a CA&DD anhilator, and I was like wut dude are you serious Spee despite its misleading name, is slow as turtle in almost everything! 

Leader on the other hand, gives BBs creeps. 

• Boring 1

[KAPPA]
Members
714 posts
5,649 battles

I like both for different reasons. Spee has the advantage of Def AA and big guns. At ranges and angles Leander will not cit, but instead pen, Spee will just obliterate a cit. Leander may hurt, and may win wars of attrition, but Spee, if you get her where she thrives, can just plain destroy a ship in 1 salvo.

Members
1,640 posts
3,603 battles

The Spree sucks when it comes to DD hunting but will utterly wreck most if not all cruisers it sees with equal captains. Those 11" guns are absolutely a terror, she's a serious annoyance for BB captains also because it's a cruiser that can citadel then right back.

The Leander is a DDs worse nightmare, a good fight for cruiser vs cruiser but easy meals for competent BB captains if they get a chance to focus on you.

That said they excell on different areas and are more like comparing apples to oranges. In a 1v1 fight with equal captains the Spree will win just like in real life

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,491 battles

I love seeing Leanders and Graf Spees alike, i load AP and citadel both~!

Beta Testers
1,693 posts
3,820 battles

Easy Graf Spee anyday high pen guns plus decent torpedos and secondaries. It is also better armored unless you like sitting and smoke and spamming he then Leander is what you want. In my experience I liked Graf Spee and Even Perth over Leander. 

[KAPPA]
Members
714 posts
5,649 battles
Just now, landedkiller said:

Easy Graf Spee anyday high pen guns plus decent torpedos and secondaries. It is also better armored unless you like sitting and smoke and spamming he then Leander is what you want. In my experience I liked Graf Spee and Even Perth over Leander. 

I got Perth in a Christmas container, and I still have yet to figure out the appeal over Leander. Having HE is great and all, but I swear the AP feels less effective, not to mention that the smoke is a double edged sword, as it effectively lengthens its own cooldown, and having no heal is real hard to get used to.

Any tips?

Beta Testers
1,693 posts
3,820 battles
2 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

I got Perth in a Christmas container, and I still have yet to figure out the appeal over Leander. Having HE is great and all, but I swear the AP feels less effective, not to mention that the smoke is a double edged sword, as it effectively lengthens its own cooldown, and having no heal is real hard to get used to.

Any tips?

Play from range and slowly back up when firing.  When retreating do 1/4 or 1/2 so that the smoke covers your retreat.

Members
3,199 posts
3,521 battles
8 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Any tips?

I'm no one steller in the Perth, so take my advice with a grain of salt. IFHE helps with the damage and the smoke allows you to escape if you haven't use it to approach already. Could approach under the cover of an island and maybe launch the spotter plane to look over it, be cheeky and launch torps and run away. Or you can save it for later and use it for the retreat, to give you vision if nobody else is around. Stays true to the lessons of RN CLs (or cruisers in general) in knowing where your cover is and having a plan B. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[KAPPA]
Members
714 posts
5,649 battles
13 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

Play from range and slowly back up when firing.  When retreating do 1/4 or 1/2 so that the smoke covers your retreat.

...I never actually considered doing that. I mean, it helps that I often find that ships reverse faster than smoke is laid on them, but still. That sounds handy for a number of situations. ...Wait, can Leander do that for her three puffs, too? That opens a lot of tactical choices I never thought possible, if so... Especially for Neptune, who I have yet to make work.

Such as ramming behind an island, then backing and popping smoke. I'll need to test this.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup
Had to explain my thoughts better.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,480 posts
6,103 battles
43 minutes ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

So this one time I got into an argument with a guy and he kept saying Spee has better guns and is a CA&DD anhilator, and I was like wut dude are you serious Spee despite its misleading name, is slow as turtle in almost everything! 

Because Graf Spee is awesome!

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

Both are very different ships, with Very different tools and Very different playstyles. Its really hard to say which one is better, it depends on the situation you are in and the playstyle from the player. 

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

Graf Spee can one-shot the Leander. so there's that.

overall though, they're completely different ships and have completely different strengths and weaknesses, so obviously each of them are going to appeal to different players. players who like tanky ships and alpha damage are going to lean towards Graf Spee, and players who like concealment and potential DPS are going to lean towards Leander. you might as well be comparing a DD and a BB.

Members
22,418 posts
5,787 battles

Spee makes a decent crew trainer for captains of tech tree ships. Leander.......does not.

Members
22,418 posts
5,787 battles
29 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

I got Perth in a Christmas container, and I still have yet to figure out the appeal over Leander. Having HE is great and all, but I swear the AP feels less effective....

It is less effective. It's "normal" AP, as opposed to the quick-fuse AP RN tech tree ships carry.

[4HIM]
Members
2,225 posts
6,552 battles

I have done several Dev Strikes with the Graf Spee.  Never in a Leander.  But each is good in its own way.  The play styles are VASTLY different.  The Leander plays like most RN cruisers.  The GS isn't like any other ship.  You don't play like a BB and you don't play like a KMS cruiser.  In my HSF GS I have an awful win rate.  But it does take some time to learn how to play it.  Where the Leander is just a far, far better version of the HMS Moving Target Emerald.  The GS you have to hang back between the cruisers and BBs until the time is right.  Then push forward.  Getting a feel for the right time to move up takes time.  

Real weakness of the Graf Spee is low DPM when you 're one on one with a DD.  If the DD wants to move and shoot, you're toast.  If you shoot at the DD and it stops and smokes up, charge the smoke, pop hydro and

sw%20darth%20vader.jpg

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
1 hour ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

Because the Spee gives cruisers creeps.  So what if it's slow, she bullies cruisers, which is her job, after all.

However, she is weak against DDs.

[RLGN]
Members
10,099 posts
19,503 battles
1 hour ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

Because I hate Leander with a passion? and consider it to be an utterly, unredeaming piece of offal? The only thing that's worse is the soggy crumpetts masquerading as SAP.

45 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Any tips?

Same as Leander; slow down and be ready to shoot, except you can keep moving at 1/4 speed, instead of having to stop inside three puffs of smoke.

I do better with the HE than the AP anyway, and Perth has a spotter/fighter

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
30 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

I have done several Dev Strikes with the Graf Spee.  Never in a Leander.  But each is good in its own way.  The play styles are VASTLY different.  The Leander plays like most RN cruisers.  The GS isn't like any other ship.  You don't play like a BB and you don't play like a KMS cruiser.  In my HSF GS I have an awful win rate.  But it does take some time to learn how to play it.  Where the Leander is just a far, far better version of the HMS Moving Target Emerald.  The GS you have to hang back between the cruisers and BBs until the time is right.  Then push forward.  Getting a feel for the right time to move up takes time.  

Real weakness of the Graf Spee is low DPM when you 're one on one with a DD.  If the DD wants to move and shoot, you're toast.  If you shoot at the DD and it stops and smokes up, charge the smoke, pop hydro and

I've killed a few DDs with the torps at close range as well.  Also,  3 11 inch AP overpens at close range cause much pain to a DD.  Reload sucks, but make that one count, and then they usually forget Spee has torps.

Also, a Spee can shrug off and heal a torp or two a lot of times.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,632 posts
15,896 battles
1 hour ago, Psycodiver said:

The Leander is a DDs worse nightmare

You have obviously NOT seen this:

1 hour ago, landedkiller said:

When retreating do 1/4 or 1/2 so that the smoke covers your retreat.

How many speeds do you have backing up?

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,907 posts
10,906 battles

Graf Spee and Kongo share a few traits in that they have two modes of operation.

If you're faced with battleships, they play like cruisers. If you're faced with cruisers or DD's, they play like battleships.

Leander plays a lot like the higher tier RN cruisers.