You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Helstrem

All of these Asashios....

39 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,922 posts
2,810 battles

....make me wish I had an Akizuki.

Gunboat DDs must be having an absolute feast right now, but Akizuki in particular would enjoy this meal as it removes Akizuki's main brawling disadvantage, difficulty dodging torpedoes.

Ah well.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,157 posts
15,340 battles

I saw an Asahio in Rank yesterday. A match that consisted of 1 BB, 4 Cruisers and 2 DDs per side. The Asahio never got near our BB and ended the match trying to gun down a full HP Atago. The poor ship was voted "Most Useless DD for the day." 

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles

I was in an Epicenter match earlier where an Asahio pulled a Kraken. Three BBs, and 2 DDs. He demolished an Akizuki that he ambushed, and them gunned down the other teams Asashio.

Both Asashios were top XP on their respective teams.

Epicenter is Asashio heaven. BBs all bunched together in the middle, creeping along. So many tears harvested.

[-K-]
Members
6,139 posts
10,299 battles
12 minutes ago, Skarp_AGW said:

He demolished an Akizuki that he ambushed, and them gunned down the other teams Asashio.

Wait, how is that even possible?

[NOBUL]
Members
335 posts
3,661 battles

I wish people wouldn't take Asashio into Ranked Battles. Sometimes there's 1 or 2 BBs and all they do is try to cap. One time had one try sending torps at a DD in smoke, then at a CA about 7km away...they'll never understand that Asashio torps only hit BBs and CVs.

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles
3 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

The Akizuki was sitting in smoke. The Asashio was close enough that he spotted the Akizuki as he tried to slip out. He got off two salvos at about 7k before the Akizuki could respond. That took off a big chunk, and a couple of trades later the Akizuki was dead.

The guns are very accurate, and hit hard. The downside is they have a slow reload, and the turret rotation sucks.  But when things set up right apparently they can do the job.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,626 posts
13 minutes ago, Skarp_AGW said:

The Akizuki was sitting in smoke. The Asashio was close enough that he spotted the Akizuki as he tried to slip out. He got off two salvos at about 7k before the Akizuki could respond. That took off a big chunk, and a couple of trades later the Akizuki was dead.

The guns are very accurate, and hit hard. The downside is they have a slow reload, and the turret rotation sucks.  But when things set up right apparently they can do the job.

Like any IJN DD, if you have the turrets on target the guns are good.

I actually would prefer the Harekaze with either the USN guns or Akizuki guns over the Akizuki itself. Sure you give up a turret, but honestly I don't like doing torpedo beats in the Akizuki; I think the Harekaze handles better and is better balanced overall

I would actually take my Z23 out Asashio hunting. Charger their smoke, light them with sonar, and not worry about torpedoes

Members
1,202 posts
3,156 battles

I'm getting my Akizuki ready to take out this weekend. Now is probably the best time to start building up XP for the line completion. I even bought the permanent camo for her so I could farm salt in style :cap_like:

[USCC2]
Members
4,764 posts
29 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

I saw an Asahio in Rank yesterday. A match that consisted of 1 BB, 4 Cruisers and 2 DDs per side. The Asahio never got near our BB and ended the match trying to gun down a full HP Atago. The poor ship was voted "Most Useless DD for the day." 

And that has always been the trade off. The Asashio is an IJN DD, whose main damage dealing weapon is the torpedo.

The average hit rate for torpedoes is 6-10% - then add the fact it can only hit 2 types of ship and one of those is usually tucked away at the back (I guess I should clarify I am talking about the CV, not the BBs lol).

I have no idea why so many have feared her so much. The Asashio being challenged by 'any' ship is no different to a DD who has to retreat because a radar cruiser is around a cap - in fact she is weaker.

If she is lucky enough to hit a BB she will do good damage, but if the BB is supporting her team as she should (using the screen), the Asashio is unlikely to hit as her torps will be seen in plenty of time.

Beta Testers
1,693 posts
3,820 battles

Why did we need this ship I wonder? Some think it was to balance out the battleship population and that seems to be the case. Making the players buy the new cool ship and do wargaming dirty work for them. I don't know what Eugene is doing about all of this. Wait who is Eugene you say? He is the brother of Victor K. whom is in charge of Wargaming NA that lives in a fancy house and has multiple custom dining sets plus swimming pools. That's right people they do use our money to buy lavish things.  

[NDA]
Supertester
5,157 posts
15,340 battles

@_WaveRider_ Right now is not the time to play the Asashio. Looking at the team line ups I've seen even less BBs are sailing right now. There are lots of Cruisers and Destroyers out hunting the new IJN DD. So I suggest moth balling the Asashio if you have it and wait. Wait till people forget about the ship. Wait until the next Battleship line shows up than you can farm those BB tears. 

:Smile_glasses:

[SYN]
Members
15,290 posts
11,994 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

lower ranks with bad players behind the helm.

I totally gunned down a full HP Kiev with Asashio

I barely lost any HP too.

[AXANR]
Members
3,383 posts
17,617 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

....make me wish I had an Akizuki.

Gunboat DDs must be having an absolute feast right now, but Akizuki in particular would enjoy this meal as it removes Akizuki's main brawling disadvantage, difficulty dodging torpedoes.

Ah well.

I've killed at least one in every random match I've had today. As a gunboat DD main (and this includes my Alsace and Republique as they sexually identify as gunboat DDs), I'm loving this. 

• Funny 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,383 posts
17,617 battles
1 hour ago, Wombatmetal said:

Like any IJN DD, if you have the turrets on target the guns are good.

I actually would prefer the Harekaze with either the USN guns or Akizuki guns over the Akizuki itself. Sure you give up a turret, but honestly I don't like doing torpedo beats in the Akizuki; I think the Harekaze handles better and is better balanced overall

I would actually take my Z23 out Asashio hunting. Charger their smoke, light them with sonar, and not worry about torpedoes

Killed 2 so far in ranked with Z23 :)

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

I doubt you could kill any of them, most of the Asashios i see are spamming torps out of max range, from the back line. Im starting to fear more a Asashio on my team than on the enemy team. Since most of them are playing so far back they have like impact into the battle, low chance to hit anything and arent gelping with scouting or capping either. 

Members
1,050 posts
4,671 battles

I've been having a blast in Asashio so far, even brawling with akizuki, although losing, but not before almost sinking it.

23eeI1k.jpg

Edited by Vaitmana

Members
22,459 posts
5,792 battles
16 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

That's right people they do use our money to buy lavish things.  

And that's not normal for the owner/CEO of a multimillion-dollar corporation?

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles
26 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

Why did we need this ship I wonder? Some think it was to balance out the battleship population and that seems to be the case. Making the players buy the new cool ship and do wargaming dirty work for them. I don't know what Eugene is doing about all of this. Wait who is Eugene you say? He is the brother of Victor K. whom is in charge of Wargaming NA that lives in a fancy house and has multiple custom dining sets plus swimming pools. That's right people they do use our money to buy lavish things.  

Asashio was made after the results of the previous ranked season proved the futility of trying to balance the BB meta without baBBie nerf rage syndrome occurring. Also Alabama was a premium they can’t nerf it.

So this monster was born.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
10,992 battles

Kiev and Leningrad, Benson and Mahan; all great ships to take out in the Asashio fest....Nevermind ze Germans...

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,922 posts
2,810 battles
40 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

Asashio was made after the results of the previous ranked season proved the futility of trying to balance the BB meta without baBBie nerf rage syndrome occurring. Also Alabama was a premium they can’t nerf it.

So this monster was born.

This makes no logical sense.  Try to come up with reasonable scenarios rather than just absurdities.

Why is it absurd?  Because Asashio is patently terrible in ranked, thus the prior ranked season can hardly have resulted in a ship that is terrible in ranked as a solution to something in ranked.  Say what you will about Random, but at least Asashio has some viability there in combating the BB overpopulation.

Now, how to combat the DD overpopulation?

• Cool 1

Members
115 posts
8,151 battles

The reason i dont like asashio is the fact WG created something to try to make people stop playing a certain ship type, if people play a game for enjoyment they should be able to play whatever ship they like. There will always be campers in any game.

• Cool 1

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles
10 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

This makes no logical sense.  Try to come up with reasonable scenarios rather than just absurdities.

Why is it absurd?  Because Asashio is patently terrible in ranked, thus the prior ranked season can hardly have resulted in a ship that is terrible in ranked as a solution to something in ranked.  Say what you will about Random, but at least Asashio has some viability there in combating the BB overpopulation.

Where your evidence that it is terrible in ranked? 

Also DD is not in any sort of overpopulation. I have played games were there was only one cruiser and the rest of both teams were BBs. Honestly your attitude is why Asashio exists more that anything else. The devs probably were fed up with listening to baBBies crying about nothing and finally gave them something real to cry about.

[SBS]
Members
3,877 posts
2,408 battles
5 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

DDs are the least played ships type (excluding CVs).  Plus, WG is going to have a soft cap on DDs. 

[NMKJT]
Members
3,626 posts
15 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

There is no DD over population. Over the last 2 weeks for tiers 8, 9, and 10, there have been:

BBs - 587,332 matches

CA/CL - 454,945 matches

DD - 392,794 matches.

Next to the CV, DDs are the least played class in the game. And to answer your question, the USN CL split will introduce many new cruisers with radar., There really is no overpopulation.