You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Awe_Shiyte

HE Spammers! HE Spammers Everywhere!

48 comments in this topic

[TF-82]
Members
17 posts
1,300 battles

It is me, or is it being a New Mexico bring attention to cruisers who just fire nothing but HE (even worse behind islands)?

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,491 battles

A tier 5, expect HE to be used commonly still, and its easier for Cruisers to use HE on a BB then AP, which, is more likely to bounce and not result and any damage or much damage.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
2,482 posts
11,932 battles
2 minutes ago, AwesomeShite_Gaming said:

It is me, or is it being a New Mexico bring attention to cruisers who just fire nothing but HE (even worse behind islands)?

Generally, cruisers firing AP at you will not be effective. 

The primary way for cruisers to kill battleships is by fires. The other way is by torps. 

Your counterplay involves building a captain and module load out for survivability, and use your damage control and heals judiciously. Positioning and teamwork also help. 

Good luck!

[R-R-R]
Members
1,020 posts
7,835 battles

Yes. You are a slow BB that is an easy target for HE slinging cruisers.

This is part of the game you need to learn. As a BB you can tank for a few rounds of focus fire, but you still can't sustain focus fire for prolonged time.

[TLOD]
Members
263 posts
3 minutes ago, AwesomeShite_Gaming said:

What else are cruisers suppose to shoot at your Battleship? AP only works in the best of situations (Enemy full broadside or the superstructure), HE is more or less reliable with setting the enemy on fire.

[SF-A]
Members
3,013 posts
6,385 battles

This would be very common for New Mexico. Lines like the Japanese, Russian, and French cruisers are blooming, and getting really good at HE spam, and you're a slow, easy target. However, they are all still fragile, so you can fight back and angle.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts

Here's kind of a base 10-point captain setup for battleships, which will let you make fire much less of a problem while you figure out your consumable use.  

image.png.0e119322303ab885f327b5871b12d125.png

The 1 and 2 point skills aren't directly relevant to this discussion, but the 3 and 4 point skills are.

The 3 point skill: 

image.png.f883e6aaf1ca9408420513611b057ff7.png

Fires are based on a percentage of your health, so -15% to how long they burn lets you take less damage.  Also, note this also lessens floods and module repair times.

The 4-point skill:

image.png.e6cdcb4f87a86d9fda7dfb24a93fd272.png

The 10% reduction to chance to catch fire is nice, but the real help here is that instead of 4 'spots' on your ship for fires, you only have 3 spots.  

So, as long as fires on your battleship are a problem to you, run these two skills to help you.  As you get better at things, you can switch these out for something else if you like.

Edited by mavfin87
  • Cool 2

[TF-82]
Members
17 posts
1,300 battles
5 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

This would be very common for New Mexico. Lines like the Japanese, Russian, and French cruisers are blooming, and getting really good at HE spam, and you're a slow, easy target. However, they are all still fragile, so you can fight back and angle.

I realize how fragile they are, in fact a cruiser citadel is my favorite target

[TF-82]
Members
17 posts
1,300 battles

6 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Here's kind of a base 10-point captain setup for battleships, which will let you make fire much less of a problem while you figure out your consumable use.  

The 1 and 2 point skills aren't directly relevant to this discussion, but the 3 and 4 point skills are.

The 3 point skill: 

Fires are based on a percentage of your health, so -15% to how long they burn lets you take less damage.  Also, note this also lessens floods and module repair times.

The 4-point skill:

The 10% reduction to chance to catch fire is nice, but the real help here is that instead of 4 'spots' on your ship for fires, you only have 3 spots.  

So, as long as fire is a problem to you, run these two skills to help you.  As you get better at things, you can switch these out for something else if you like.

cool

[TF-82]
Members
17 posts
1,300 battles

6 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

The 3 point skill: 

The 4-point skill:

So, as long as fire is a problem to you, run these two skills to help you.  As you get better at things, you can switch these out for something else if you like.

cool! thanks for the tips on the captain skills!

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
Just now, AwesomeShite_Gaming said:

You can kite them away from the battle back toward help while shooting them from your aft turrets if there's more than one of them.  

I've won games by pulling cruisers out of position who were madly trying to burn me to the waterline.  With the right skills and consumable use, I get a Fireproof achievement and a victory if the team takes advantage. Thing to remember is that you're going to burn.  You're slow, they're not.  But it's controllable, and you can turn it to your advantage if your team helps, and 'help' may be taking advantage of a numbers imbalance elsewhere while two cruisers follow you.

[TF-82]
Members
17 posts
1,300 battles
1 minute ago, mavfin87 said:

You can kite them away from the battle back toward help while shooting them from your aft turrets if there's more than one of them.  

I've won games by pulling cruisers out of position who were madly trying to burn me to the waterline.  With the right skills and consumable use, I get a Fireproof achievement and a victory if the team takes advantage. Thing to remember is that you're going to burn.  You're slow, they're not.  But it's controllable, and you can turn it to your advantage if your team helps, and 'help' may be taking advantage of a numbers imbalance elsewhere while two cruisers follow you.

I see, so pretty much reel them into my teammates and then they die right there?

Members
320 posts
2,719 battles

HE is the meta at all tiers, theres a reason the BB's considered the best are just glorified HE spammers.

frankly they should nerf the amount of damage each fire does because as it is right now each fire does 30% of a BB's max HP without any captain skills or 22.5% with them and considering that HE spammers with 12 guns and 6 second reloads are usually lighting like 2 fires per volley the only real way to survive HE is to not get hit, which the ships most effected by fires, BB's and CV's cant do effectively.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
2 minutes ago, manon45 said:

HE is the meta at all tiers, theres a reason the BB's considered the best are just glorified HE spammers.

frankly they should nerf the amount of damage each fire does because as it is right now each fire does 30% of a BB's max HP without any captain skills or 22.5% with them and considering that HE spammers with 12 guns and 6 second reloads are usually lighting like 2 fires per volley the only real way to survive HE is to not get hit, which the ships most effected by fires, BB's and CV's cant do effectively.

Just keep in mind that if you already have 2 fires lit on you, and your heal is keeping up, it makes it a lot harder for them to light another fire, than it is when you have no fires on you.

Members
320 posts
2,719 battles
2 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Just keep in mind that if you already have 2 fires lit on you, and your heal is keeping up, it makes it a lot harder for them to light another fire, than it is when you have no fires on you.

But if you just let 2 fires burn out you're going to lose all your health + the fact that HE is consistently doing very high damage so its the 6k+ damage volleys every 6 seconds + you're losing 22.5% of your max HP per fire over the course of 45 seconds.

Edited by manon45

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
5 minutes ago, manon45 said:

But if you just let 2 fires burn out you're going to lose all your health + the fact that HE is consistently doing very high damage so its the 6k+ damage volleys every 6 seconds + you're losing 22.5% of your max HP per fire over the course of 45 seconds.

You can actually do better than that, but I don't remember all the exact numbers.  @LittleWhiteMouse has a great writeup on how to deal with fire, and on fire in general, if I could find it, or at least I think it was hers  You can drag a pair of cruisers for several minutes and live, while on fire, if you need to. With a slow battleship, the closer they get to me, the better chance I have of citadel-ing them through the bow, too.  I've had some get too eager, and get too close...

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,321 posts
7,604 battles

HE is literally free damage so of course its a commonly used shell. It only needs to hit you to catch fire (even shatters will start a fire).

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,989 battles
33 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

I personally always dumped AP after the first HE salvo into those tasty large superstructures. Nothing like seeing 5-6k per salvo of AP roll off those structures with Cleveland and god if I'm in Myoko rolling those 9k salvos off. Just rotate with AP/HE after setting a few fires. Issue is, most players continue to just unload HE without knowing that AP even into structures is far better damage overall.

Reality is, most cruiser players haven't learned how and where to aim with AP. Hell, I love watching them continue to dump HE into a saturated area when they haven't learned to switch up zones of impact such as the bow and stern.

Members
320 posts
2,719 battles
10 minutes ago, EmperorMaxwell said:

HE is literally free damage so of course its a commonly used shell. It only needs to hit you to catch fire (even shatters will start a fire).

They need to remove fires from shatters, thats just really dumb. Also hitting the side of a ship with HE shouldn't cause fires they should have to hit the deck or superstructure.

Members
1,202 posts
3,156 battles
1 hour ago, AwesomeShite_Gaming said:

Not just you.  You have a big fat ship, and everyone wants to make it a barbecue. Most cruisers will be looking to have at least one fire burning on a ship at any time. 

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,321 posts
7,604 battles
2 minutes ago, manon45 said:

They need to remove fires from shatters, thats just really dumb. Also hitting the side of a ship with HE shouldn't cause fires they should have to hit the deck or superstructure.

I agree but any attempt to modify HE and fires will bring all of the HE spammers out of their caves to scream about how "babbies" are complaining too much and how they need fires to do "any" damage against bbs.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,575 posts
10,463 battles
25 minutes ago, manon45 said:

Then they need to give cruiser the ability to angle against BB shell or give them deep underwater citadel. Basically buffing their survivability

Only then we can talk about HE spam and fire