You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Edselman

An Ice Ship

10 comments in this topic

[NNG]
Members
1,663 posts
2,789 battles

Read about a strange British war project called Project Habakkuk the other day. Apparently, there was an idea of making a ship with a hull made out of ice with a carrier-style runway on the top to fight against U-boats. Actually, rather than ice it was to use pykrete which is a mixture of ice and wood pulp named after the guy who came up with the idea of the ship. From what I read, the concept was that a ship made of steel was limited in size due to structural and economic constraints whereas something made of ice or pykrete could be made much larger. The thing was planned to be around 4,000 feet long and over 600 feet wide. I have no idea what a ship like this would weigh, but it might go in the millions of tons. The hull was to be made of pykrete because it was a lot more resistant than ice (blocks of it are bulletproof) and it melted slower. The hull was to be 40 feet thick, making it pretty much torpedo-proof in theory. The inside of the hull would be hollowed out and constructed with steel just like the insides of any other ship. They actually build a small-scale model in a lake somewhere in Canada, and the model was able to keep for the whole year without melting or sinking. However, the project was cancelled unsurprisingly due to being “ludacris.”

I am not in any way suggesting this be implemented into the game, just to out of place. I just wanted to share the project because I did find it interesting. The Mythbusters actually did a test on the the project and found that the concept was plausible.

Image result for project habakkuk

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,491 battles

Just set it on fire and you'll get citadels for life.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,280 posts

Old news.

[EDIT]: Damn, Rip beat me by seconds with the image

17 minutes ago, Submarine_Albacore said:

Just set it on fire and you'll get citadels for life.

The prototype section they built lasted for three years unattended and unmaintained in the unusually hot summers of 44, 45 and 46

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,491 battles
1 minute ago, Chobittsu said:

Old news.

[EDIT]: Damn, Rip beat me by seconds with the image

The prototype section they built lasted for three years unattended and unmaintained in the unusually hot summers

Then uhhh....uhhh...

Fill it with soup!

• Cool 1

Members
862 posts

.....Louis Mountbatten shot a pistol round into that stuff and it ricocheted into I think Admiral Kings leg.   

The British and Americans compromised and sent then Captain Gallery to Kevlavik with the agreement to keep him out of both Countries and running that piece of ice. 

Also it is not exactly ice. Making the slurry into ice was definitely an issue for the amount needed. 

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

That's such an interesting idea! Like an iceberg ship, you could go around ramming everyone!  

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,280 posts
2 hours ago, Jazzyblaster said:

A very cool idea indeed!

Booooo....

• Funny 1