Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Kagero in Ranked- Several replays inside

12 comments in this topic

[CUTER]
Members
2,461 posts
11,320 battles

Kagero in Ranked is beautiful, but sometimes frustrating. 

Its beautiful when you pull off a perfect spotting run wrecking an enemy ship with barely lifting a finger.  When your team refuses to take advantage of such plays its quite enraging.  In lower tier ranks it can really make you want to pull your hair out.  I had a really bad run of teams.  The kinds of games where every one else on your team cant break 600 base XP.  I ended up with an embarrassing 48% WR, though through it all I only lost a couple stars. 

So tip number 1:  Bad teams happen have patience

In this game I drive around capping everything since the enemies were always moving away from me till the end.  I opted not to include the typical reports to protect the guilty. The game is boring/rage inducing aside from seeing how I cap when radar is present. 

Lets talk build.  I usually run This build on my mid tier IJN DDs for ranked

When positioning myself I usually try to stick to open areas and caps I can use my spotting advantage, or at least angles where I can be productive.  Caps like C cap on North are good Kagero hang outs, something which might surprise people that I dont prefer the west of the map.  You can hang out around island cover on either end of the cap and spot anything entering the cap.  By staying close to cover you can get safe if detected by radar, or you decide to shoot.  These quick 2-3 volley fights with US and PA DDs are heavily in your favor, especially if you are outside 7km.  Capping it just requires patience.  Teams need a crossfire from both sides to keep the cap open, inevitably a team leaves one side vacant at some point.  Study the maps and see where you can be effective by playing to your boats strength.

This is a good example of that on North

Tip number 2:  Be flexible frequently people want the freebies

In this replay the north cap on Neighbors screams Lo Yang territory while the open south cap is good Kagero country.  Our Lo Yang decides hes playing for himself and goes for the free cap.  Rather then leave the two ships sailing north vulnerable I change my course to screen for them.  We merry 3 in the north carry the game.  Props to these guys for bailing me out of a bad fight when I was too focused on my torps trying to pin down an evasive BB.

Tip number 3:  Look for opportunities to help

Here I really wanted to play mid since it was a CV game.  This would let me hang closer to the team making it easier for my CV to support me.  Unfortunately, the team just leaves me to do it our it would not get done.  I cap as quick as I can then come back to mid, launching some make a wish torps along the way.  I get into position to cut off any red DDs retreat out of C cap.  I end up with some good shots on Lo Yang and sink their Z-23.  This game was my highest damage, and I include it not because of that, but more because of the plays I make trying to protect cap while several of my team start chasing the enemy CV, fighting enemy DDs, and other good DD craplike baiting the Lo Yang to shoot at me in smoke so my CV could drop him.  The rest was just good positioning to launch torps when the enemy gave me openings to do so.

Hopefully this helps people if they are struggling with the IJN torp boats in ranked.  I'll probably do Shimakaze in ranked soon if people are interested. 

• Cool 2

[ARMDG]
Members
27 posts
2,664 battles

Have to agree with your assessments in terms of where Kagero shines, and have enjoyed it so far. Haven't played more than a couple of games so far, but so far have been tearing up the low ranks with Kagero. Even managed to bully a cap out over an Ognevoi with 2 North Carolina's as support (claiming all 3 before running out of health). First round ~115k, second 90k. I'm certainly no awesome player - only just got Yugomo, and only running a 13pt captain. 

The low concealment torp build with TRB has proven pretty damn nasty, as other tier 8 DDs really struggle to get anywhere near you with a jump, and the guns are fairly effective if you are prepared to spot, shoot, disengage repeat using available cover and its even better if you can get that initial spot to get your allies giving you a head start. 

Now I just need to grind to Shima so I have a tier 10 for the 10-2 stage.

[CUTER]
Members
2,461 posts
11,320 battles
8 hours ago, Xebadir said:

Have to agree with your assessments in terms of where Kagero shines, and have enjoyed it so far. Haven't played more than a couple of games so far, but so far have been tearing up the low ranks with Kagero. Even managed to bully a cap out over an Ognevoi with 2 North Carolina's as support (claiming all 3 before running out of health). First round ~115k, second 90k. I'm certainly no awesome player - only just got Yugomo, and only running a 13pt captain. 

The low concealment torp build with TRB has proven pretty damn nasty, as other tier 8 DDs really struggle to get anywhere near you with a jump, and the guns are fairly effective if you are prepared to spot, shoot, disengage repeat using available cover and its even better if you can get that initial spot to get your allies giving you a head start. 

Now I just need to grind to Shima so I have a tier 10 for the 10-2 stage.

TRB is fun for randoms, but in my opinion smoke is a better option for the DD heavy fighting in ranked.

There are just too many different uses for it.  The only time smoke really is bad is LY hydro and HY radar.  Unless your MMing is giving you tons of those boats its best to run smoke.

Beta Testers
1,939 posts
10,762 battles

I use TRB in random. But I agree smoke is more suited for ranked. TRB is more aggressive and exciting but you frankly don't get too many chances in 7v7 format. Smoke provides more options, for yourself and your teammates.

Aggressiveness can win or even carry games. But you are more likely to win playing support roles in ranked.

[ARMDG]
Members
27 posts
2,664 battles
2 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

TRB is fun for randoms, but in my opinion smoke is a better option for the DD heavy fighting in ranked.

There are just too many different uses for it.  The only time smoke really is bad is LY hydro and HY radar.  Unless your MMing is giving you tons of those boats its best to run smoke.

I suspect I may agree as I progress and get past the newbish elements. I actually forgot to switch it out the first game (its pretty much my preferred stock play on Kagero given MM gives me T10 all the time), and it was so effective I figured I'd give it another try. Every game I've played so far in rank though has involved at least 2 radar cruisers on the opposing side - at which point I am wondering about the value of smoke until the end game, or they are eliminated. 

Members
1,050 posts
4,671 battles

Im having a big problem getting to r10.

I breezed from 23 to 11 without issues, but then I got stuck, lost 6 games in row and 2 stars, dropping back to r12.

How can you carry inept teams in kagero and not lose stars?

Also Loyang is p2w... smoke, sonar and profit.

/rant

Edited by Vaitmana

[CUTER]
Members
2,461 posts
11,320 battles
3 hours ago, Vaitmana said:

Im having a big problem getting to r10.

I breezed from 23 to 11 without issues, but then I got stuck, lost 6 games in row and 2 stars, dropping back to r12.

How can you carry inept teams in kagero and not lose stars?

Also Loyang is p2w... smoke, sonar and profit.

/rant

It can happen.  The biggest rule I have to preserving your sanity in ranked is set a target of a rank a day, and if you lose two stars from your starting position you stop something isnt clicking.  Stop loss is critical to avoid the morale crushing series of losses setting you back massively.

There are two methods to playing ranked to consistently rank out fast.  First and most talked about is saving your star.  This play style resorts in a player often doing questionable things that will ensure the loss, but because they live longer and can deal more damage they will have a better chance at saving their star.  Speaking of which caps will not save your star this season.  I've lost stars with 3 base caps and 10k of DD damage.  Caps XP just feels nerfed to me this season.  Because caps wont cut it alone, you need a reliable damage dealing boat for this play style to work.  Bonus points if it can cap too.

The second way is to play with the team to help get the win.  Its not always fun or rewarding but solid support does a lot to help your team mates.  For example my whole  team was blobbing to C on Hotspot, I asked a clan mate who happened to be in my game if he could watch the back door a bit to make sure we wouldnt get back capped.  I would have done it by I was in Z52 to his gearing and my hydro was more valuable on the cap.  We won, he was last on the list for XP but he got the DD that tried to slip in to our cap.  Had that not happened I'm not sure we would have won the game.

To find success I try to piece the two together.  The lower ranked games your team will often be comprised of moldy potatoes.  I tend to play more aggressive for damage, especially to DDs.  The higher you climb, the more skilled your opponents, you need to dial it back to more sane levels.  Over aggressiveness is the primary cause of death and losses in my experience.  The line separating good from bad is knowing when you can get away with washing yourself in your enemy's blood.

You are correct on Lo Yang.  WG screwed the pooch on that hydro.  My recommendation to counter him is to go with the flow.  If he comes in hot smoking and hydroing you, just kite away, either getting out of range or in cover.  Once his tools are on cool down you have a very good opening to wreck him.  Particularly if hes running the sonar duration upgrade as his smoke will be out of sync with his hydro most often.  Try to force him to desync his smoke and hydro with hit and run fights.  This is where smoke is so critical.  Just play in front of support keep making spotting passes to light him and wear him out.  I had a near text book replay of doing this on Flamu's Twitch channel last season.  I'll see if I can find it as I'm sure the replay is dead. 

The math is in your favor.  If you are facing a LY and you are duking it out over a cap you will have time left in the fight where he does not have smoke or hydro because he ran out.  Especially if he is not running SI.

Members
1,050 posts
4,671 battles
1 hour ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

It can happen.  The biggest rule I have to preserving your sanity in ranked is set a target of a rank a day, and if you lose two stars from your starting position you stop something isnt clicking.  Stop loss is critical to avoid the morale crushing series of losses setting you back massively.

There are two methods to playing ranked to consistently rank out fast.  First and most talked about is saving your star.  This play style resorts in a player often doing questionable things that will ensure the loss, but because they live longer and can deal more damage they will have a better chance at saving their star.  Speaking of which caps will not save your star this season.  I've lost stars with 3 base caps and 10k of DD damage.  Caps XP just feels nerfed to me this season.  Because caps wont cut it alone, you need a reliable damage dealing boat for this play style to work.  Bonus points if it can cap too.

The second way is to play with the team to help get the win.  Its not always fun or rewarding but solid support does a lot to help your team mates.  For example my whole  team was blobbing to C on Hotspot, I asked a clan mate who happened to be in my game if he could watch the back door a bit to make sure we wouldnt get back capped.  I would have done it by I was in Z52 to his gearing and my hydro was more valuable on the cap.  We won, he was last on the list for XP but he got the DD that tried to slip in to our cap.  Had that not happened I'm not sure we would have won the game.

To find success I try to piece the two together.  The lower ranked games your team will often be comprised of moldy potatoes.  I tend to play more aggressive for damage, especially to DDs.  The higher you climb, the more skilled your opponents, you need to dial it back to more sane levels.  Over aggressiveness is the primary cause of death and losses in my experience.  The line separating good from bad is knowing when you can get away with washing yourself in your enemy's blood.

You are correct on Lo Yang.  WG screwed the pooch on that hydro.  My recommendation to counter him is to go with the flow.  If he comes in hot smoking and hydroing you, just kite away, either getting out of range or in cover.  Once his tools are on cool down you have a very good opening to wreck him.  Particularly if hes running the sonar duration upgrade as his smoke will be out of sync with his hydro most often.  Try to force him to desync his smoke and hydro with hit and run fights.  This is where smoke is so critical.  Just play in front of support keep making spotting passes to light him and wear him out.  I had a near text book replay of doing this on Flamu's Twitch channel last season.  I'll see if I can find it as I'm sure the replay is dead. 

The math is in your favor.  If you are facing a LY and you are duking it out over a cap you will have time left in the fight where he does not have smoke or hydro because he ran out.  Especially if he is not running SI.

Yeah, I was playing support and was having great results, but then suddenly all my teams turned vegetabes, no though behind actions, no communication and absolute lack of aim. My last game before I had enough, I capped 2 points solo and then died to enemy chapayev with radar on while kiting away, my team could not sink a single ship. Full hp friendly monarch lost to half dead burning tirpitz in 1v1 duel at maps border and was not even close in sinking him. I lost all will, will try again when Im back from my trip.

[CUTER]
Members
2,461 posts
11,320 battles
52 minutes ago, Vaitmana said:

Yeah, I was playing support and was having great results, but then suddenly all my teams turned vegetabes, no though behind actions, no communication and absolute lack of aim. My last game before I had enough, I capped 2 points solo and then died to enemy chapayev with radar on while kiting away, my team could not sink a single ship. Full hp friendly monarch lost to half dead burning tirpitz in 1v1 duel at maps border and was not even close in sinking him. I lost all will, will try again when Im back from my trip.

If the people you are supporting suck, its probably a loss.  Cost of doing business.

I almost always give friendly DDs the free cap while I go to work on the contested cap.  Mostly because people are terrible at DD and die in minutes.  I almost always survive longer, and can usually figure out a way to take it.  However when the game goes to crap, I can be left holding the bag with no cap and little to show.  I took my risk and lost if it goes bad.

Personally I think dump the whole save a star crap.  It does more harm than good.  I understand people are frustrated by the Herculean efforts needed to try to carry a sack of potatoes, but a loss should still be a loss.  Too many are trying to game that.

Beta Testers
1,939 posts
10,762 battles

Played exclusively in Kagero in ranked. 17 matches (15-2) got me from R17 to R10. So I guess she works.

I have too few battles in the ship that I don't even qualify for the leaderboard on warship numbers. :)

Sign in to follow this