31 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,242 posts
7,079 battles

Db3ySHwVAAInXG_.jpg

Which vessel would you like to see brought to film?

For myself, aircraft carriers were always a favorite of mine. In particular, the USS Enterprise (CV-6) stands out as she was involved throughout the entire war in the Pacific theater and was an intricate part of the war effort.

Image result for uss enterprise world of warships

Which sea-faring hulk of steel is your favorite to be a Hollywood star?

@BTed72 Thanks for the Tweet!

https://twitter.com/WorldofWarships/status/990312193949356034

#seastorysaturday

#anchorsaweigh

Members
1,318 posts
9,888 battles

I'd say the USS Washington BB-#?....I've been fascinated with her victory and use of radar in one of the 5 night battles around Guadalcanal late in 1942 (USN v. the so-called "Tokyo Express") since reading "Neptune's Inferno," by James Hornfischer, several years ago.  It's still probably the best book of any kind I've read in the last 10 years.

...I have to say I've long left Hollywood almost entirely behind me (saw Dunkirk last spring--that was a mistake) but if I got word of something like a dramatization of the book (fat chance, right) I think it couldn't miss...

[BOATC]
Members
316 posts
8,484 battles
1 hour ago, swampwater77 said:

U.S.S. Johnston DD 557, actions at Samar

This, and then I want Star Wars to rip it off later.

[DES23]
Alpha Tester
1,201 posts
4,951 battles

No ship in particular, but is be really interested in seeing a biopic on a prison ship. They're very interesting to me.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,975 posts
9,293 battles

Big E deserves a movie series that follows it's career because 1 alone will not do it, or history, justice. Just ation on 7 December and early raids prior to the Doolittle Raid could likely fill a film.

And battle of Samar deserves something akin to Tora Tora Tora.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles

I want a movie about USS Intrepid (CV-11) and how she kept taking a beating and kept on coming home to repair, and going back out to fight. "Dry/Fighting I" was truly given the right name.

[TBW]
Members
7,378 posts
13,536 battles

USS Thomaston LSD (Landing Ship Dock) 28. You always see the Papa boats landing Marines. You always see the Battleships guns a blazing, but in the movies you never see the sailors launching those Papa boats or pulling the mike boats into the well deck and loading them with vehicles bound for the beach. Maybe an LST (Landing ship tongue) or LPH (Landing Platform Helicopter)

lsd28-ship-photos12c-lg.thumb.jpg.8ab4f1dcf6835c4b87856dac5f034b95.jpglsd28-ship-photos37b-lg.thumb.jpg.d457625a15eeb4a3ac1ce65e0f0a92f5.jpg

You can play Frisbee in the well deck.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
3,546 posts
6,386 battles

My hunger for a good Battle of Jutland film shall not be quenched until we see SMS König and HMS Iron Duke, along with the notorious Derfflingers and the British battlecruisers were all brought to both the big screen AND the game (hint hint new premium).

I get it that WW2 pacific theatre naval films can arouse more resonance with American viewers...but it's kinda getting cliché IMO.

• Cool 1

[RVNHQ]
Members
69 posts
24,654 battles
25 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

My hunger for a good Battle of Jutland film shall not be quenched until we see SMS König and HMS Iron Duke, along with the notorious Derfflingers and the British battlecruisers were all brought to both the big screen AND the game (hint hint new premium).

I get it that WW2 pacific theatre naval films can arouse more resonance with American viewers...but it's kinda getting cliché IMO.

On this note. I would like a movie about the first battle of the Falkland Islands. When Admiral Von Spee's squadron of Imperial German Naval ships. The armored cruisers SMS Scharnhorst, and Gneisenau plus several light cruisers led an attack on port Stanley, Falkland Island.

Sitting in wait were a squadron of Royal Navy ships Including battle cruiser HMS Invincible and Inflexable, plus several other cruisers and support ships led by Admiral Sturdee. The Royal navy was victorious in the battle. It is still celebrated in England as a holiday each December 8th.

[LOU1]
Members
3,559 posts
9,424 battles
6 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

USS Thomaston LSD (Landing Ship Dock) 28. You always see the Papa boats landing Marines. You always see the Battleships guns a blazing, but in the movies you never see the sailors launching those Papa boats or pulling the mike boats into the well deck and loading them with vehicles bound for the beach. Maybe an LST (Landing ship tongue) or LPH (Landing Platform Helicopter)

lsd28-ship-photos12c-lg.thumb.jpg.8ab4f1dcf6835c4b87856dac5f034b95.jpglsd28-ship-photos37b-lg.thumb.jpg.d457625a15eeb4a3ac1ce65e0f0a92f5.jpg

You can play Frisbee in the well deck.

"Away All Boats", one of my favorite movies, is close.

"The book (and film) is about the crew of the Belinda (APA-22), an amphibious attack transport."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_All_Boats

Edited by ExploratorOne
  • Cool 3

[SVF]
Members
205 posts
12,990 battles

I want the story of USS Saratoga. The ship that kept getting knocked down, but kept coming back till the nuked it to be sure

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,736 posts
4,384 battles

Though we do have Battle 360, a mini-series about the USS Enterprise would be nice since she's a legendary ship.  Ditto for HMS Warspite.

However, a mini-series based on the Battle off Samar (and probably off the book The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors) would also be glorious.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,979 posts
2,721 battles

I'm going to join the folks on USS Johnston and the Battle off Samar. US Navy's finest hour for sure.

Maybe one about the naval actions around Guadacanal too, Battle of Savo Island, etc. Great stories there for sure.

And a good film about Jutland (world's greatest dreadnought battle) would be awesome.

[SVF]
[SVF]
Beta Testers
52 posts
4,161 battles
1 hour ago, Suryn said:

I want the story of USS Saratoga. The ship that kept getting knocked down, but kept coming back till the nuked it to be sure

I know a certain someone would love to see a film on her, yes. As for my pick, I choose the Shigure. One of the luckiest destroyers of the IJN, and her skipper, Capt. Tameichi Hara, has a decent chunk of her history penned down in his memoirs. Alternatively, something involving one of the more notable American submarines, such as Harder or Albacore.

[SVF]
Members
205 posts
12,990 battles
1 hour ago, CompassJimbo said:

I know a certain someone would love to see a film on her, yes. As for my pick, I choose the Shigure. One of the luckiest destroyers of the IJN, and her skipper, Capt. Tameichi Hara, has a decent chunk of her history penned down in his memoirs. Alternatively, something involving one of the more notable American submarines, such as Harder or Albacore.

He's part of the reason why I suggested it. Besides I hear so much about Enterprise, but Sara goes so unsung

[ATFW]
Beta Testers
42 posts
2,864 battles
5 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

"Away All Boats", one of my favorite movies, is close.

"The book (and film) is about the crew of the Belinda (APA-22), an amphibious attack transport."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_All_Boats

Yep, required viewing on WESTPAC back before DTS TV.  Made my guys on the LSD watch it too :)

[LOU1]
Members
3,559 posts
9,424 battles
6 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

I'm going to join the folks on USS Johnston and the Battle off Samar. US Navy's finest hour for sure.

Maybe one about the naval actions around Guadacanal too, Battle of Savo Island, etc. Great stories there for sure.

And a good film about Jutland (world's greatest dreadnought battle) would be awesome.

There was supposed to be a movie made about the Battle of Samar, but it seems to have been put on hold:

http://deadline.com/2015/10/wwii-biopic-come-hell-or-high-water-to-be-directed-by-john-moore-1201597566/

The John Wayne movie "In Harms' Way"  (IIRC) has a scene showing Taffy 3 in the Battle of Samar.  All of the clips have been removed from youtube, though.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,173 posts
3,842 battles

The most interesting movies to watch focus not on the grand, but the small.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.