You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

108 comments in this topic

[AXANR]
Members
3,383 posts
17,610 battles

Hello, new owner of a shiny new Asashio!

I see you've bought a new DD, and you're excited to play her. And that's great! I hope she brings you lots of joy and happiness. I'm sure she'll be a good boat for you, if you learn how to play her and don't sit 15km back spamming long-range torps while all the caps turn red and your team melts. I wish you all the luck in the world with her. 

However, Ranked is a bit of a different meta. It's 7v7, which makes every ship need to pull their weight for the team to succeed. And many games only have 1 or 2 BB per side. You'll rarely see a CV. This means that unlike a typical game in randoms, where you'll usually have 4 or 5 ships you can damage with your torps, in ranked you'll have 1 or 2, maybe 3 at the most. Also, the compressed battlefields on many ranked map layouts mean that your torps are more likely to be spotted before they reach the opposing BBs. 

Even though I personally believe that one should only take their strongest ships into ranked and should respect the fact that it's competitive play, I'm not one of those people who thinks that certain ships, or stock ships, or bad players, should be banned from ranked. They weed themselves out, mostly, because better players lose less stars and win more games, climbing past revocable ranks that the taters won't be able to reach without lucky streaks of games. And everyone should have the chance to compete, even if they have a vastly inflated opinion of their own skills and a complete lack of ability to play competently. 

That being said, some ships are better for ranked than others. A good player can make any ship work, and for most decent players it's better to bring a slightly less optimal ship that they're very strong in instead of a ship people consider good for ranked that they're not strong on. But it is true that some ships work better in the ranked meta. Some ships work poorly in the ranked meta. And some ships, no matter how much potential they have in random battles, are absolutely atrocious in the ranked meta. A DD that can only torp one or two of the opposing ships while being virtually powerless against anything else is not a great ship to bring. Especially since most people playing her in ranked are the ones who don't recognize that the meta is different, don't have the skills to win DD fights in her, and refuse to approach the cap circles. 

Yes, a unicum player can probably do well in her in ranked. But, my friend, if you're reading this, you're probably not a unicum player (and that's OK, I'm no unicum either), and you're only going to get frustrated trying to make her work in competitive play when almost every other DD is objectively better than her at everything but nuking potato non-WASD-ing BBs from stealth. I don't want you to regret your decision because you buy her, take her into ranked, and proceed to get blown out of the water while losing a star from not being able to damage things, over and over and over, with  the occasional match where you successfully torp a derpy BB convincing you to keep trying her only to lose even more matches. 

I care about you as a person. I want you to enjoy your new Asashio. I believe that if you read LWM's review, watch some YouTube videos, grow some cojones, and learn how to play her right, you can do quite well with Asashio in random battles and co-op battles. I will be the first to congratulate you if you manage to sink me with your Asashio when I'm playing BB in a random match. But that's randoms. And ranked is a different ballgame. 

So, that being said, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY STOP BRINGING YOUR F[edited]ING ASASHIOS INTO RANKED, YOU F[edited]ING DUMB[edited]ES. 

<3 Sincerely yours, 

The guy in the Z-23 that wishes occasionally the Asashios would be on the other team so he could kill them instead of trying to hold caps and fight off red DDs by himself while Asashios derp off and die uselessly over and over and over again. 

HXrTCiB.jpg

Edited by poeticmotion
  • Cool 14
  • Funny 15
  • Boring 2

[WAG]
Beta Testers
731 posts
6,105 battles

i dont understand why people want to take this ship into ranked.... i mean sure its a fun ship, but even if it may be a great ship eventually, NON of the players which bring it into ranked have had the ship for more then a single day.... that is no where near enough time to get used to and good with a ship for ranked.

[SEALZ]
Members
535 posts
5,915 battles

80292163-F52A-44EA-AD25-91FFE50001E4.jpeg.987533878ce9c90633ceb7d45fc7d9b9.jpeg

Real talk: I feel you OP. At least when people bring a non meta ship they can possibly do well. Asashio is good only as long as BBs are in this picture, which suffice to say is not long.

• Boring 2

[SUCIT]
Members
1,018 posts
4,300 battles
1 minute ago, GX9900A said:

i dont understand why people want to take this ship into ranked.... i mean sure its a fun ship, but even if it may be a great ship eventually, NON of the players which bring it into ranked have had the ship for more then a single day.... that is no where near enough time to get used to and good with a ship for ranked.

I bought Kagero for ranked at the end of last season, with my first 12 with the ship being in ranked.  I finished 11-1 with 85k average damage and 2.5 frags per battle.  It's the captain, not the ship.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,141 posts
19,989 battles
1 hour ago, poeticmotion said:

So, that being said, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY STOP BRINGING YOUR F(edited) ASASHIOS INTO RANKED, YOU F(edited) D(edited). 

poetic, hiding obscenities behind intentional mis-spellings is a violation of forum rules.  I respectfully suggest that you remove them from your post.

EDIT:  What's wrong with you people who are downvoting over this?  You know that this is against forum rules.  Go complain to the mods if you think that swearing is OK, for all the good it will do.  You're pathetic.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,383 posts
17,610 battles
2 minutes ago, GX9900A said:

In fairness, if you know how to play a Kagero well, you know how to play a Asashio well. Good IJN torpboat players can get into her and play at a high level without needing to get used to her. And of course as a premium they can pop a 19-point captain over from another IJN torpboat without retraining. There are DD players who, if I saw them on other team with an Asashio, I would be concerned. But the players who are most likely to be able to do well with Asashio are the ones that are good enough to recognize how hard it would be to do well in her in ranked, and so the least likely to try and play her in ranked unless they're just trying to challenge themselves or doing it for the lulz. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,370 posts
10,928 battles

There is more salt on these forums today than on a Minnesota highway in a blizzard.

14_1EDAY031014_27070215.JPG

[AXANR]
Members
3,383 posts
17,610 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

poetic, hiding obscenities behind intentional mis-spellings is a violation of forum rules.  I respectfully suggest that you remove them from your post.

I think using random characters is a little bit different than just putting dollar signs in place of S or things like that, but in the interest of not getting moderated you're right and I'll edit, in case the mods interpret it differently. Thanks for the suggestion. o/

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,141 posts
19,989 battles

4 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

I bought Kagero for ranked at the end of last season, with my first 12 with the ship being in ranked.  I finished 11-1 with 85k average damage and 2.5 frags per battle.  It's the captain, not the ship.

The Asashio is a special case.  I was just in a ranked battle with a single BB.  Don't try to tell me that a great Asashio was going to magically make his torpedoes hid all those cruisers and destroyers, because it wasn't going to happen, no matter how great that ship's captain is.

Bring an Asashio is a very high risk choice, entirely dependent on getting enough BBs for targets to justify the choice.  All things considered, if you want to bring an IJN DD to ranked, you're better off with a Kagero, an Azkizuki, or an HSF Harekaze before an Asashio because your success won't be dependent on friendly MM (i.e. lots of BBs).

[SALVO]
Members
20,141 posts
19,989 battles
4 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

I think using random characters is a little bit different than just putting dollar signs in place of S or things like that, but in the interest of not getting moderated you're right and I'll edit, in case the mods interpret it differently. Thanks for the suggestion. o/

Poetic, I think that using special characters would be different without the leading character.  There's nothing offensive about just saying $#%&@.   It's like the least possible non-obscene generic "obscenity" imaginable.  (Sorta like saying a Sat AM cartoon character "swearing" with garbled mumblings.)  But stick an 'f' or 's' in front of it with the right number of "replacement" characters, then it changes its nature. 

Regardless, Have a great day on the high seas.  :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[USCC2]
Members
4,764 posts
12 minutes ago, GX9900A said:

They're probably just trying to use their 25x extra XP bonus (unsure how long it lasts?), but at the same time do the early levels of ranked - two birds one stone type of thing.

21 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

Hello, new owner of a shiny new BB with great range!

I see you've bought your new BB, and you're excited to play her. And that's great! I hope she brings you lots of joy and happiness. I'm sure she'll be a good boat for you, if you learn how to play her and don't sit 15 20km back spamming long-range volleys while all the caps turn red and your team melts. I wish you all the luck in the world with her. 

Fixed that for you. :Smile_Default:

• Boring 2

[XBRTC]
Members
2,724 posts
8,695 battles

It's funny how many times I've gotten reported for bringing Asashio to the table, but I'm running 4 for 6 right now in ranked battles with her.

Exactly none of the kills shown below are BBs. I've gotten torps into them, of course, but someone else manages to kill them before they finish flooding out.

edit to add: every single one of those kills happened while I was contesting a cap, too. :)

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Edited by LT_Rusty_SWO
  • Cool 2

[SUCIT]
Members
1,018 posts
4,300 battles
14 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The Asashio is a special case.  I was just in a ranked battle with a single BB.  Don't try to tell me that a great Asashio was going to magically make his torpedoes hid all those cruisers and destroyers, because it wasn't going to happen, no matter how great that ship's captain is.

Bring an Asashio is a very high risk choice, entirely dependent on getting enough BBs for targets to justify the choice.  All things considered, if you want to bring an IJN DD to ranked, you're better off with a Kagero, an Azkizuki, or an HSF Harekaze before an Asashio because your success won't be dependent on friendly MM (i.e. lots of BBs).

Oh yes, for sure it's a niche ship that relies heavily on the MM its given.  Just pointing out that how long you've been in the ship is almost irrelevant if you know how to play the game properly.  

• Cool 1

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
5 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

It's funny how many times I've gotten reported for bringing Asashio to the table, but I'm running 4 for 6 right now in ranked battles with her.

Exactly none of the kills shown below are BBs. I've gotten torps into them, of course, but someone else manages to kill them before they finish flooding out.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

I have a question for you... Which tier 8 dd could not do what you did in these games? He isn’t saying that it is a useless ship, he is saying there are way more capable ones. Apart from rare cases where you have BB heavy ranked games (most of the ones I have been in have 2), any DD would perform better for the team and the win. Again it is not a bad ship there are just others that could easily do better in most situations in ranked.

[XBRTC]
Members
2,724 posts
8,695 battles
16 minutes ago, Crucis said:

One interesting thing I'm seeing also is that bringing Asashio really changes the way that the BBs on the other team play. Had one last night where I only landed one torpedo hit in the entire battle. That's all the damage I did. But we won... because the two NoCars on the red team literally went and hid behind an island until I was dead. They took themselves out of the battle for 80% of the game, and by then we were up 5 ships to 4, and they had only 1 low-health DD left and we had 2 of the 3 caps.

[USCC2]
Members
4,764 posts
1 hour ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Fixed that for you. :Smile_Default:

Strange how hearing the truth hurts lol. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edit: :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_child::Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Boring 1

[XBRTC]
Members
2,724 posts
8,695 battles
5 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I have a question for you... Which tier 8 dd could not do what you did in these games? He isn’t saying that it is a useless ship, he is saying there are way more capable ones. Apart from rare cases where you have BB heavy ranked games (most of the ones I have been in have 2), any DD would perform better for the team and the win. Again it is not a bad ship there are just others that could easily do better in most situations in ranked.

Honestly? Most of them could have, sure. That said, I did lose about 4 in a row in Kagero before switching over to Asashio for the win streak.

But this is really the point:

image.thumb.png.ea5a9cb11fad2288ee392b1fa5d1516a.png

It's not exactly quite as stupid a move as people make it out to be. And I'm not some super-unicorn, either. I'm a reasonably average player.

Edited by LT_Rusty_SWO
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
10,973 battles
36 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Do you really care. or do you just love objecting to anything you put your eyes upon?

EDIT: That's a rhetorical question.

Edited by legozer
  • Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
10,973 battles

Asashio is likely the single worst ship one could bring into ranked, all anecdotal evidence aside. One guy having a handful of good games with her doesn't change the fact.

• Cool 2

[RO-I]
Members
64 posts
2,089 battles
54 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

sniff ..... sniff ..... bla   bla  bla

You know what? Only to piss off neckbeards like you I will play only Asashio in ranked from now on!

This game is free and is for everybody, stop thinking that this game belongs to you, you bunch of no-real-life neckbeards!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

I haven't started Ranked yet, but I'd flip out too if I had one on my team.

I'd report, but they probably have no clue what that means anyway. :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by Wulfgarn

[RO-I]
Members
64 posts
2,089 battles
30 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

edit to add: every single one of those kills happened while I was contesting a cap, too. :)

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Thumbs up for you man! Kudos! Keep going!

Don't listen these losers, they only envy you because they are poor and don't have money to buy a premium ship.

• Cool 2

[XBRTC]
Members
2,724 posts
8,695 battles
4 minutes ago, Sheeple_Slayer said:

Thumbs up for you man! Kudos! Keep going!

Don't listen these losers, they only envy you because they are poor and don't have money to buy a premium ship.

Yeah, well, I'm back down to 1 karma now, after yesterday. Hooray. Or something.

• Cool 1