You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Rawhide

Killer Whale - Fortresses

17 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
239 posts

Hi;

Playing operations Killer Whale I've noticed  that I have no problem hitting fortresses regularly with my Cleveland.   However, it seems that the Leander rarely hits as often but when  it does it usually hits for 6100 pts.  Any ideas on this?

[REVY]
Members
6,142 posts
5,158 battles

I think you need at least an 8" AP shell to harm those fortresses.  For the leander, discretion is the better part of valor in the opening phase.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,100 posts
4,789 battles
19 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Hi;

Playing operations Killer Whale I've noticed  that I have no problem hitting fortresses regularly with my Cleveland.   However, it seems that the Leander rarely hits as often but when  it does it usually hits for 6100 pts.  Any ideas on this?

In Killer Whale, the optimal range to penetrate the fortresses and do damage is 8.5 km and under for the Leander's guns from my experience. Over that, and it's hit and miss if the 152 mm/50 Mk XXI AP shells pen. 

[RLGN]
Members
10,099 posts
19,494 battles

Or balanz Comrade.

Player forts in Final Frontier couldn’t defend themselves against hang gliders dropping spitballs; but bot forts (which look about as complicated as a fruitcake tin,) in Killer Whale wipe out entire air squadrons with what is apparently CIWS and laser guided missiles...

Sorry about hijacking the thread for a kvetch...

• Funny 3

[WOLF9]
Members
1,100 posts
4,789 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Or balanz Comrade.

Player forts in Final Frontier couldn’t defend themselves against hang gliders dropping spitballs; but bot forts (which look about as complicated as a fruitcake tin,) in Killer Whale wipe out entire air squadrons with what is apparently CIWS and laser guided missiles...

Yeah. Those forts in Killer Whale shred planes. Must have a Cleveland strapped to each side of the fort with perma AA defensive fire consumable engaged

[ARGSY]
Members
10,318 posts
6,757 battles
19 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

In Killer Whale, the optimal range to penetrate the fortresses and do damage is 8.5 km and under for the Leander's guns from my experience. Over that, and it's hit and miss if the 152 mm/50 Mk XXI AP shells pen. 

Mostly miss, from recent experience.

In ships that have it, HE seems to be the far more effective solution.

I have stood off from the forts about 8km in my Leander, weaving slightly around a course parallel to the shore, while delivering full broadsides. The forts didn't do me much if any harm, and they didn't do well when hit with full broadsides.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
725 posts
10,758 battles
18 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Or balanz Comrade.

I once decided to try and brute force it though them once....   once.

You also left out something about the forts in UF, that is the fact that 4 YUBARI'S would be better, since they have more armor than those forts. :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,100 posts
4,789 battles
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Mostly miss, from recent experience.

In ships that have it, HE seems to be the far more effective solution.

I have stood off from the forts about 8km in my Leander, weaving slightly around a course parallel to the shore, while delivering full broadsides. The forts didn't do me much if any harm, and they didn't do well when hit with full broadsides.

Aye. For the French, IJN, Russian, and US cruisers that can select between HE and AP, against the fortresses in Killer Whale, I typically use HE. But you get around 8 km and under from a fortress, switching to AP will cause more dmg per volley. 

For BB's, they should be shooting AP at the fortresses.

[SF-A]
Members
3,011 posts
6,368 battles

152 mm AP works best under 8 km in my experience. HE other than that. If AP doesn't pen, it will simply do no damage.

DDs should not engage the forts unless you absolutely have to, and BBs can pen them just fine.

TBs cannot drop on forts, and DBs seem to have little impact if they get through.

I have seen little testing on these forts to see whether HE splash damage will knock out AA. I seem to knock out guns occasionally, and have never detonated one. I am unsure if they can bounce shells, as hits don't yield ribbons, but there are enough flat faces that it shouldn't be an issue.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,318 posts
6,757 battles
8 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

I have seen little testing on these forts to see whether HE splash damage will knock out AA. .

I haven't seen any module kills from non-obliterative heavy hits on forts, which leads me to suspect that there is no separate AA and their guns (whatever they may be) are treated as dual-purpose from this perspective, but I will look out for that in the future.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,824 posts
4,180 battles
29 minutes ago, Lillehuntrix said:

Molotov AP (180mm) does nasty, nasty things to forts, governed only by dispersion, out to at least 12km.

+1  If we have a Molotov along, I don't even bother shooting the forts.

Beaver does okay; fortunately it has many shells.  BBs do okay - when they hit it.  Even DDs, though best to stay unspotted.

BTW, although a fort has only one gun, apparently, it can citadel you.  Don't offer a broadside if you can help it.

[-PVE-]
Members
129 posts
9,783 battles

I just wish we got XP for damage to forts and land base buildings. 

[REVY]
Members
6,142 posts
5,158 battles
31 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I haven't seen any module kills from non-obliterative heavy hits on forts, which leads me to suspect that there is no separate AA and their guns (whatever they may be) are treated as dual-purpose from this perspective, but I will look out for that in the future.

I once blasted the forts AA guns with HE, I could even see on the model the little AA guns all bent out of shape, and the destroyed AA module icon appeared from the hit.

[FACT]
Members
402 posts
3,956 battles
3 hours ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Hi;

AP for the Forts

HE for the Ports

I'm still amazed at how players/ teams fail this mission (looking at CV players who pin themselves in the bottom left of the map, players sailing the Aoba, and the slowest BB's always out in the middle of nowhere). Tired of all these players who end up so far out of position costing the rest of the team a win at minimum. Wouldn't you rather have a win and rewards for your efforts, versus a loss and horrible earnings? If it means I must die so the correct number of ships are in the ring to win, I'll gladly do so to help the team.

SPOILER ALERT: Pay attention to the EVAC location and the freaking CLOCK!

[USCC]
[USCC]
Members
1,757 posts
9,334 battles

Killer whale is one of the easier operations, when driving my Cleveland, I fire HE only, and it's very effective against both land targets and ones a float. everything burns!!

My only gripe if I can have one, is people rushing in and over extending and taking too much damage early, then falling back to do nothing because they don't want to die! or getting outright sunk right at the getgo silly DD's mostly.

Or you get the two guys in a division that drive off to the back and wait until the CV's spawn only to get wrecked right away! lol thanks for coming out!!!

Or the one guy that wants to rush off to get that fort way up north (direction might be off) (if you've played this mission you know the one I mean) and by the time he gets it done, other ships are spawning around him and he's starts asking for help from the team, only the team is nowhere near him because they followed the plan lol