Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cee_Ninja

Unsportsman Like Conduct

10 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts
547 battles

Hi all... fairly new to the game.   A few minutes ago my computer locked up and froze while the random battle was loading. I restarted my computer, thinking that I can log onto the game and re-enter the battle and that  hopefully  I wasn't sunk by and opportunistic CV . Unfortunately this did not happen . After my game reloaded, I was greeted with the notice " Penalty for Unsportsman like Conduct for leaving the battle. How can leave the battle if the battle  did not load??? Has anyone else experienced this as well??? Now I am sailing around in a pink ship. I do not think this is fair at all....

• Boring 1

[WOLF7]
Members
11,367 posts

The pink stain, while annoying really isn't an issue....just avoid problems if possible.

And no it's not a good idea punishing people for disconnect issues, when so many people seem to have them, but it seems for now, this is what will happen.

Edited by awiggin

[WOLF9]
Members
1,070 posts
4,727 battles
2 minutes ago, Cee_Ninja said:

Hi all... fairly new to the game.   A few minutes ago my computer locked up and froze while the random battle was loading. I restarted my computer, thinking that I can log onto the game and re-enter the battle and that  hopefully  I wasn't sunk by and opportunistic CV . Unfortunately this did not happen . After my game reloaded, I was greeted with the notice " Penalty for Unsportsman like Conduct for leaving the battle. How can leave the battle if the battle  did not load??? Has anyone else experienced this as well??? Now I am sailing around in a pink ship. I do not think this is fair at all....

Going AFK during a match because leaving the battle early by choice or not by choice, a crash-to-desktop, loss of power, or interruption to your internet will result in an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. This is the new anti-abuse system WG implemented in update 0.7.4, which was released this past Wednesday on April 25th.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/anti-abuse-system/

From the WoWs wiki:

"In version 0.7.4, WG's new anti-abuse system is supposed to counter unsportsmanlike conduct and unfair play to a whole new level. From now on, players acting disrespectfully toward teammates by attacking them, being inactive in battle, or fleeing a battle will get a foul conduct warning first and will be banned from certain types of battles (except Co-op and Clan Battles) in case of repeated violations.

The status of a player's account will be indicated by the color of their nickname:

WHITE color meaning lack of violations.

PINK color meaning the player has received a warning.

ORANGE color meaning the player is under penalty and is restricted from entry to certain types of battles."

[STSN]
Members
7 posts
6,770 battles

Turning pink is nothing more than an annoyance. While you might not think it is fair, it's an imperfect solution to a problem that has not perfect answer.

Unfortunately they must consider disconnects similar to players quitting, since otherwise, people wanting to quit out without a penalty could just unplug their modem and "Ta-Da!" 

As i said; not a perfect solution, but at least the penalty is no more than a colorful nametag for a few games.

[DXL]
Members
1 post
3,324 battles

I would say one problem I have is with how the penalty is worded. 

Anyone who played little league baseball as a kid knows what "unsportsmanlike conduct" is. From Wikipedia: "Examples include verbal abuse or taunting of an opponent, an excessive celebration following a scoring play, or feigning injury."

Now, I get that you're not supposed to fire torps if there's even a small chance an ally will sail into them at extreme range...  But to me, as long as it's unintentional and rare, "unsportsmanlike" is not the right word.  It's possible to be the world's worst baseball player and still be "a good sport."  Sportsmanship is about intent.

I'm OK with friendly fire penalties, but I think it's just weird when you're genuinely doing your best, being polite to everyone, maybe even score at the top of the match, and the game chooses that specific wording.  Just call it a friendly fire penalty, which is what it is.

Edited by Xentac
  • Cool 1

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,841 posts
4,855 battles

There was one battle where I disconnected and reconnected more than 10 times (I think around 13) in 7.3...I wonder who will crap out first if it happen in 7.4...

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

Your computer your fault. You were AFK and your team was at disavantage for that. 

Edited by Xlap
  • Boring 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,567 posts
13,485 battles

Can't help ya with your ISP.. half the US internet is pretty much crap and the half half can't keep up with demand.  If your in the area's served by the crap ISP's there's not much can be done.

But if your on an older rig, there are some solutions that may cut down on problems.  Please remember that computers are the sum of their parts.  A top water video card, CPU RAM etc on a crap old motherboard, or in a systems that has some serious performance chokes due to system architecture can seriously hurt yer gaming experience.  Lemmie give ya the low down.

Hey guys with LOW END machines (or even kinda low end)..   Disconnects can happen, but some times it because your machine is having conflicts, and getting system resources maxed out.  Rarely CPU issues.. more often then not it is bus speed, I/O limitations.  Remember computer CPU's may multitask, but system architecture may not quite be up to what a CPU can pull off!  Modern software can push an old rig hard.   

(like me, I play on a several years old Lenova T-510 business class laptop.. i5 at 2.6GHz, 4 GB ram, Intel 2000 HD graphics.  It's a good machine but it was never designed with gaming in mind)

Hardware solutions (beside replacing the entire computer)

Up grade RAM to 8 GB (it helps but laptop memory is a pain to go get and the prices are all over the place)

many machines include SSID slots which can be used as a way of preloading a lot of graphics as opposed to loading them off the harddrive.  This can significantly reduce match load times.   Warships is very forgiving with it's system loading, but sometimes you want something with faster loading then your typical mechanical hard drive.  There are workarounds that are inexpensive, though piece of advice if your "fixes" look to be running over $500 take your self off to get a Intel NUC destop  computer they're inexpensive  if you just get the NUC core and run as well as any low end alienware desktop or laptop.  I did buy one for myself which the spousal unit co-oped 5 days after it arrived when her aging core duo finally gave up the ghost... back to scraping pennies again *sigh*

Software Solutions: ((DO THIS IF YER ONE A LOW END MACHINE!))

USE the compressed texture from the aslain or official mod pack.  The game cammo's won't be anywhere near as pretty, but your frame rate will improve, and more importantly the matchs will load much much faster reducing the chances of getting timed out while your machine is trying to both load texture and sync up.  Some of the low end rigs have issues walking and chewing files at the same time.

Hope it helps!

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this