You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RighteousRhyno

Which prem T6 cruiser should I get from the tech tree?

Which T6 prem tech tree ship should I get?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which T6 prem tech tree ship should I get?

• Perth
    • De Grasse
    • Molotov
    • Duca D'aosta
    • Bacon
    • Hold on to the Doubloons

47 comments in this topic

[PNP]
Members
397 posts
3,227 battles

I was planning to get the Duca Abruzzi, but LWM's wonderful review and Flamu's gameplay of it made me rethink my decision. 

So instead I bought the Texas Steam Pack for the doubloons. I want a T6 cruiser. Which one should I get? 

Leaning towards De Grasse. I enjoy the La Galisonniere quite a bit and already have the weeb Spee, dont need another lol

Edited by RighteousRhyno

[PNP]
Members
397 posts
3,227 battles
Just now, iDuckman said:

Graf Spee?

And Bacon!

Forgot to say I have the HSF Spee. Whoops

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles

As an Australian, I find it tempting to reach for a Perth. But the only captains she can train are her own and those of Vampire, a very different (and lower-tier) ship. If that's what you want her for, it's a strike against her. This lessening in utility is what's kept me away from her.

If the Commonwealth ships are enabled to cross-train RN captains I might consider it (I do have Vampire, but she might not be an appropriate trainer for some ships). Otherwise I will wait for an RN premium destroyer to be offered as a prize.

[INTEL]
Members
1,424 posts
10,156 battles

I have them all and don’t really have a favorite. I even like the Duca which a lot of people dislike. 

The one I play the most is Molotov because I love her guns. 

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
25 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

As an Australian, I find it tempting to reach for a Perth. But the only captains she can train are her own and those of Vampire, a very different (and lower-tier) ship. If that's what you want her for, it's a strike against her. This lessening in utility is what's kept me away from her.

If the Commonwealth ships are enabled to cross-train RN captains I might consider it (I do have Vampire, but she might not be an appropriate trainer for some ships). Otherwise I will wait for an RN premium destroyer to be offered as a prize.

Yeah, I really wish that the Commonwealth ships were embedded into the RN tree (and have said so repeatedly) for exactly that reason.

[XBRTC]
Members
2,724 posts
8,695 battles
18 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Molotov has a learning curve because it is so fragile, but those guns!  Molotov has a big up-side.  

This.

Molotov is an absolute beast if you're having a good day, but there is absolutely a certain minimum level of ability to run her effectively. She can lolpen a lot of the cruisers in her MM range straight through the bow.

She can be tons of fun... but if you're having an off day, she can be tons of frustration, too.

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

Molotov and De Grasse are good for farming HE damage from long range. Its a single playstyle.

Perth has a unique playstyle, with its gimmick smoke. More fun than efficient.

Duca d'Aosta is probably the hardest one to play, but with great impact when properly played. 

They are all good ships in their own way. It depends on your playstyle.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,460 posts
12,810 battles

I don't own it, but I have the others.  De Grasse is a PITA to play against, that's my recommendation.

Edited by crzyhawk

[XBRTC]
Members
2,724 posts
8,695 battles
9 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Molotov and De Grasse are good for farming HE damage from long range. Its a single playstyle.

I'd dispute that.

I mean, yeah, you can farm some good HE and fire damage with Molotov, but you load up AP and, dude, you can delete full-health cruisers with it. You want to go hunting destroyers? Load up HE and you've got the muzzle velocity to spank them at range, easily. You've got very good speed, and you can take advantage of openings in the enemy line to flank and get those guns into action against broadside BBs or even take out carriers with no problem. Spotter plane makes it easy to hit smoked-up RN CLs, and that AP makes them vanish... quickly.

Molotov is FAR more than a one-trick pony.

• Cool 1

Members
1,866 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There already was a premium RN destroyer, Gallant. There might even be a Canberra someday. I didn't like Perth before the smoke nerf, and after it, I sold her. The Queen will forgive you if you buy a non-British, non-Commonwealth ship. I get it though, as an American, I have a preference for American premiums. Dasha cracked open that wallet just a little, now....

[WOLF6]
Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
1 minute ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

I wouldn't pay full price for a t6. The Spee is on sale crazy cheap so maybe thay

He owns the the Texas, bought the $10 Texas package, and now has enough to buy a t6 Cruiser.  Whichever one he gets will be $10 in essence.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,857 posts
4,596 battles

De Grasse is in essence a superior Galissonniere if you are wondering how it plays. Same arcs, better reload, worse AA, worse handling. Molotov seems to be a different beast of it's own I don't have it, so I can't state an opinion.  I have De Grasse however, it's not that much it's uniqueness that makes it appealing but rather it's jack of all trades attitude. It certainly is a good buy, and very strong in Operations if you play them often. That said, with the state that Tier 6 is at the moment matchmaking wise, keeping your doubloons seems like a pretty valid option too.

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,320 posts
7,604 battles

You’re better off holding off until December for the Christmas deals. If they repeat the same tech tree sale low to mid tier tree premiums can be up to 50% off and even tier 8s are like 20% off.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles
18 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

There already was a premium RN destroyer, Gallant. There might even be a Canberra someday. I didn't like Perth before the smoke nerf, and after it, I sold her. The Queen will forgive you if you buy a non-British, non-Commonwealth ship. I get it though, as an American, I have a preference for American premiums. Dasha cracked open that wallet just a little, now....

Except that with every cruiser from Emerald (coming back soon) to Edinburgh, plus Iron Duke, in port, the desire for a British or Brit-compatible trainer is not negligible (and for the record, I tried for Duke of York and fell short).

I know about Gallant, but I'm sort of hanging out for Cossack as I've always been interested in the Tribals. To be brutally honest I was hoping that they'd declare her unfixable and toss her out as a cheap and easy prize, but now that she's got her original gun armament back she's probably going to end up as an OP RN gunship at full premium price. (Haida, when she eventually gets torn from the hamfisted grasp of Parks Canada, will of course go to the Commonwealth.)

[WOLF6]
Members
678 posts
6,094 battles
24 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

I'd dispute that.

I mean, yeah, you can farm some good HE and fire damage with Molotov, but you load up AP and, dude, you can delete full-health cruisers with it. You want to go hunting destroyers? Load up HE and you've got the muzzle velocity to spank them at range, easily. You've got very good speed, and you can take advantage of openings in the enemy line to flank and get those guns into action against broadside BBs or even take out carriers with no problem. Spotter plane makes it easy to hit smoked-up RN CLs, and that AP makes them vanish... quickly.

I agree with this , Molotov's AP is downright wicked , tier nine rail guns on a tier 6 ship is a nasty combo . It disembowels cruisers and BBQ's BB's , rips DD's a new one as well . Long legs on her too .

[ARP2]
Members
1,366 posts
3,637 battles

Im still learning to play her well, but DeGrasse is turning into a very fun ship to play.  I love Duca, but her limited gun range really hurts her in high tier matches.  If you have a spotter plane module, id get duca, otherwise, Degrasse for sure.

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles
11 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

I'd dispute that.

Yeah, i forgot about Molotov AP, really powerful and wreck any broadside you can touch. . But still its a long range spammer, not entirely wrong.