You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Favorite comic when a kid?

30 comments in this topic

Members
4,723 posts
7,748 battles

Another boring day with ran. My favorite comic books growing up. Mind you.....I go back to the fifties.

#1 Sargent Rock and Easy Company. Loved it.  The Rock could take down a Tiger Tank with nothing but his Thompson and a grenade!

#2. Batman. Even back in the fifties it could be kinda dark. Loved his utility belt and the Bat Signal. 

#3  Archie!  That's right. Good clean fun. However I harbored naughty thoughts about Veronica.

4.  Superman. Nuff said. But as a kid I could never figure out why just a pair of eye glasses could disguise him. I mean L Lane was clueless...pretty much. I liked the TV show also. Faster than a speeding bullet and more powerful than a locomotive. Truth, justice, and The American Way...heh.  Different era. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
8,754 posts
4,138 battles

Peanuts.  In book format a few copies of Uncle Scrooge, Richie Rich, Turok Son of Stone, but not many.  I didn't really start reading comics until I got to college.  When I did it was all Marvel.

Edited by iDuckman

Members
4,723 posts
7,748 battles
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Peanuts.  In book format a few copies of Uncle Scrooge, Richie Rich, Turok Son of Stone, but not many.  I didn't really start reading comics until I got to college.  When I did it was all Marvel.

Oh I forgot.  I liked Uncle Scrooge also. Gee college?  You should of had your nose buried in a math book not a comic by then....heh. :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
168 posts
3,956 battles

Right on, Sargent Rock and his Thompson.  I loved how they drew the fire coming from the barrel.  Brrraaaaap.

Batman, wow I loved it.  I remember in the early '60's the barber shop I went to as a kid had batman comics.  The barber shop was on a US base in Germany.  I devoured those comics.  In retrospect, they were dark, but at that time they were so cool.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,260 posts
5,409 battles

Sgt Rock and easy company

The Haunted tank

Superman and Batman

Nick Fury

All the Marvel comics

Tales from the Crypt

Oh man not enuf room!

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,260 posts
5,409 battles

Lol! Then there were the college daze with 60s underground comics like The Checkered Demon Zippy the Pinhead Dopin Dan and Cherry comics... Where ALL your naughty thoughts about Veronica and Betty were in full color!

[RLGN]
Members
10,033 posts
19,426 battles
25 minutes ago, Jim_Byrnes said:

Sgt Rock and Easy company

The Haunted tank

Nick Fury

The Losers

Beetle Bailey

Gold Key Star Trek

From the Sunday Comics;

Hagar the Horrible

Blondie

Prince Valiant

Others I can't remember...

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,279 posts

I think the username shoulda been the biggest hint

https://d2lzb5v10mb0lj.cloudfront.net/covers/600/16/16633.jpg

• Bad 1

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,431 posts
20,862 battles

I use to read all the early Spiderman's when they first came out as a 12 or 13 year old

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
150 posts
2,865 battles

I remember there being a giant book in my school library that had the Buck Rogers newspaper strips reprinted as a collection.

Geez I could waste time reading all that!.

For comics back in the day, Amazing Spider-Man, Detective Comics, Conan, Warlord, were just a few.

Still have nearly 5,000 in my garage as I've not ever truly become a full adult? LOL

• Cool 1

Members
3,171 posts
3,503 battles

Off the top of my head,

Peanuts, Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side. 

Sailor Moon, Fist of the North Star, Inuyasha (and other things done by the author), Pokemon Adventures.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,070 posts
4,711 battles

I really enjoyed X-Men as a kid in the 70's and 80's. Probably one of my favorite story arcs was The Uncanny X-Men: Days of Future Past issues #141 and #142 from 1981.

The 12 issue The  Watchman series came out in between fall of '86 and fall of '87 was right up there too.

Now, if we are talking comic strips, gimmie' some Peanuts and The Far Side.

[DES23]
Alpha Tester
1,201 posts
4,951 battles

Spawn and all things Marvel, in particular The Punisher and Claremont-Era X-Men. My father isn't in the best of health and he wants to give me his collection but I have no idea what to do with 53 long boxes with 350 comics in each. Not to mention the toys and collectibles he's amassed over the decades.

• Bad 1

Members
4,723 posts
7,748 battles
3 hours ago, Jim_Byrnes said:

Sgt Rock and easy company

The Haunted tank

Superman and Batman

Nick Fury

All the Marvel comics

Tales from the Crypt

Oh man not enuf room!

Among Sgt Rock fans The Haunted Tank is a well known revered CLASSIC. Jeb Stuart and all. Hell today they probably would not do that story with Jeb being a Confederate and all. PC world ya know. My daughter a couple of years ago got me a hard bound book with ALL the Sgt Rock issues. She got it from big comic book store in Chicago.  It's cool. The Rock! They don't make MEN like that anymore.  I also liked the Ice Cream Soldier. Good warrior in Rock's platoon. Ever notice that the only tank they ever fought was a Tiger commanded by a German haughty officer wearing a monacle?  Ha. Thing is the American army in Europe actually encountered very very few Tiger tanks. Most of the few made were actually in Russia and few survived. Actually kinda a POS...had issues.

Members
4,723 posts
7,748 battles
1 hour ago, KingCakeBaby said:

Spawn and all things Marvel, in particular The Punisher and Claremont-Era X-Men. My father isn't in the best of health and he wants to give me his collection but I have no idea what to do with 53 long boxes with 350 comics in each. Not to mention the toys and collectibles he's amassed over the decades.

Some may well be classics and worth some money. 

Members
4,723 posts
7,748 battles
3 hours ago, Hiro804 said:

Right on, Sargent Rock and his Thompson.  I loved how they drew the fire coming from the barrel.  Brrraaaaap.

Batman, wow I loved it.  I remember in the early '60's the barber shop I went to as a kid had batman comics.  The barber shop was on a US base in Germany.  I devoured those comics.  In retrospect, they were dark, but at that time they were so cool.

You DID NOT mess with the Rock and Easy Company as many Germans found out.:Smile_izmena:

Members
4,723 posts
7,748 battles
3 hours ago, Jim_Byrnes said:

Lol! Then there were the college daze with 60s underground comics like The Checkered Demon Zippy the Pinhead Dopin Dan and Cherry comics... Where ALL your naughty thoughts about Veronica and Betty were in full color!

I liked the Furry Freak Brothers. I hit college bout the time those came out. Mr Natural....etc. Great stuff and the originals are quite collectible. 

Members
4,723 posts
7,748 battles
2 hours ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

I use to read all the early Spiderman's when they first came out as a 12 or 13 year old

For some reason I never got into Spiderman much. However there are a ton of Spiderman fans.

[DES23]
Alpha Tester
1,201 posts
4,951 battles
10 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Some may well be classics and worth some money. 

The majority of them are. Growing up he would buy a few of each issue, read one and put the rest away. When he did the convention circuit he brought a box with him to get signatures. I know he has two first prints of Amazing Fantasy #15 signed by Lee and Ditko and the first three issues of the The Avengers signed by Kirby. He also has some signed by Bob Kane, Alan Moore, Todd McFarlane, Alex Ross and Adi Granov that I know of. Man worked his whole life to put the collection together I would never have the stomach to sell any, so I'd have to find a suitable place to store them that's big enough and has a strong enough floor.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,279 posts
5 hours ago, Kitsunelegend said:

...Sonic the hedgehog... >.>;

That was a comic?

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,369 battles
On 4/28/2018 at 12:43 PM, dmckay said:

Well I never had interest in comic books. However I do have some shows based on comics I loved to watch;

Teen Titans - The Original not the modern monstrosity. 

Justice League

And the well they are not quite comics but I do read Manga;

Bleach

Fairy Tail - excited for the new continuation to come

One Piece - Hey there is is a reason it is the best selling Manga of all time

Pokemon - Yes it does have it's own Manga series

Arpeggio of Blue Steel - Great Manga I do suggest reading it, though it does not get translated as often since it is not a Shonen Jump.

[J-F-F]
Members
63 posts
8,535 battles

I started with Spider-Man then dropped that for X-Men. Loved the collaboration of Chris Claremont and John Bryne. Then I moved on to Jim Starlin’s Dreadstar series.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,772 posts
10,201 battles

Calvin and Hobbes no contest.