You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sheeple_Slayer

"Dude, this is ranked, we don't chase CVs here, chasing CVs is for potatoes!"

53 comments in this topic

[RO-I]
Members
64 posts
2,084 battles

I was in a ranked battle, in my Harekaze, at aprox. 10 km from an enemy CV, undetected. Because we already had 2 other DDs capping, my intention was to go closer and kill the CV with a torpedo salvo. A baboon nicknamed "maxe........", in a Loyang, began to ping me frenetically on the mini-map, then he wrote on chat; "dude, this is ranked, we don't chase CVs here, chasing CVs is for potatoes!".

His idiotic remarks and the frenetic pings of the mini-map effectively distracted me and I didn't pay attention to a fighter squadron who spotted me. Of course, once spotted, the enemy CV began to run away and a enemy DD began to follow me. I repeat, I was undetected, at about 10 km away and I tried to get closer. Only after his remarks and pings distracted me enough to be spotted, the CV began to run away, so from that point on I tried to chase the CV, but, without smoke, i didn't do much.

This is the story. My question is: Is it true? We don't kill CVs in ranked? Is it forbidden? Is it a shame? Then, if killing an enemy ship isn't a good idea, what are we doing in ranked?

Edited by Sheeple_Slayer
  • Bad 5

Members
9,531 posts
11,859 battles

only potato CV would get DD sniped in ranked and if they are tater,  they won't win anyway. 

• Cool 3

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,529 posts
12,334 battles

did you have a ship and point advantage, was it at an end game where going for cv was worthwhile

[WOLF8]
Members
375 posts
7,148 battles

It’s not tier 4, and CVs make more than 15kts.  Your teammate was right and you were wrong.  Play as a team or go do something else.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,571 posts
8,217 battles
30 minutes ago, Sheeple_Slayer said:

I was in a ranked battle, in my Harekaze, at aprox. 10 km from an enemy CV, undetected. Because we already had 2 other DDs capping, my intention was to go closer and kill the CV with a torpedo salvo. A baboon nicknamed "maxe........", in a Loyang, began to ping me frenetically on the mini-map, then he wrote on chat; "dude, this is ranked, we don't chase CVs here, chasing CVs is for potatoes!".

His idiotic remarks and the frenetic pings of the mini-map effectively distracted me and I didn't pay attention to a fighter squadron who spotted me. Of course, once spotted, the enemy CV began to run away and a enemy DD began to follow me. I repeat, I was undetected, at about 10 km away and I tried to get closer. Only after his remarks and pings distracted me enough to be spotted, the CV began to run away, so from that point on I tried to chase the CV, but, without smoke, i didn't do much.

This is the story. My question is: Is it true? We don't kill CVs in ranked? Is it forbidden? Is it a shame? Then, if killing an enemy ship isn't a good idea, what are we doing in ranked?

depends on the cv. chase me for all you want. Some cvs are easier to kill for dds than others, but take into account a few considerations : a) is the enemy cv moving? b) have you already been spotted in a flanking manouvre (even if many minutes ago) c) does the cv have any teeth? (he bombs/secondaries) d) do you need more than one salvo to  kill the cv? e) is a person called Darth "dd hunter" Zeppelin driving the enemy cv?

• Funny 2

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

If I'm spotted as a CV in ranked, I get super excited. That means a destroyer is nearby, and since I'm not going to be far away from the battleships/cruisers, I let them know I'm spotted, and I fully accelerate, while scouting in the direction the DD is most likely to be. The result will be 1 dead DD and all torpedoes spotted at a range to easily avoid.

• Cool 3

[POP]
Members
964 posts
11,260 battles
16 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

depends on the cv. chase me for all you want. Some cvs are easier to kill for dds than others, but take into account a few considerations : a) is the enemy cv moving? b) have you already been spotted in a flanking manouvre (even if many minutes ago) c) does the cv have anti teeth? (he bombs/secondaries) d) do you need more than one salvo to  kill the cv? e) is a person called Darth "dd hunter" Zeppelin driving the enemy cv?

More than one DD has soiled their shorts on discovering the CV they were chasing had turned to the dark side....

• Cool 1

Supertester
193 posts
21,733 battles

One destroyer chasing a CV all alone will only kill CVs that aren't worth killing. If the CV is worth killing because they're good, your chase will only result in your own death.

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

Sigh... this is why we can't nice things... Its ranked, not randoms. If you have the balls to pull a CV in ranked you are probably fairly good and will have no problem dealing with a DD chasing you. It puts your team down a man, its a waste of time and usually results in a loss.

[WOLF6]
Members
320 posts
2,608 battles
1 hour ago, Sheeple_Slayer said:

... what are we doing in ranked?

Not quite the right question.

The more accurate question is:  What are YOU doing in ranked?

You are a Tier 4/5 player attempting to play well above your level in premium ships.

You will have a better experience if you actually play up some lines, rather than just jumping into high tier (competitive) play.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,501 posts
14,619 battles
2 hours ago, Sheeple_Slayer said:

Others have covered most of the details, but I'll add my two cents. Ranked is about being in the right place at the right time where you can influence the battle most effectively.  Spending energy to kill one ship that can better be used to kill two or more...then you're not influencing the battle most effectively.  And that's assuming you can even kill the ship you're stalking. 

You give too much credence to not being detected.  The CV player not only knew he was being stalked by a DD, he knew approximately where you were located.  The fact you weren't "spotted" is moot.  He KNEW you were there.  And he KNEW approximately where you were coming from.  That fighter that spotted you was not an accidental scout that caught you out...it was sent there to spot you...and the CV captain new about where to send it.  

Stealth attacks on CVs in ranked don't work against any CV captain who knows his stuff.  He KNOWS YOU ARE THERE!!!  And as others have noted, if he doesn't know his stuff, it's moot anyway. 

• Cool 3

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,378 posts
12,733 battles

You really should not be chasing CVs in ranked.  This is probably not the response you're looking for but there it is.

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
3 hours ago, Sheeple_Slayer said:

It's not that you don't kill CVs in ranked.  It's that there are more pressing things to do in a ranked battle than to go off spending several minutes on a solo adventure chasing one boat.  Especially if you're in a DD.

As others have stated, if he's a bad CV player he wouldn't have mattered anyway.  If he's any good, he's just going to waste your time, and possibly take you out before you get to him.

You got called out.  Rightfully, IMO.  Don't worry about it, though.  We've all made boneheaded decisions in the game.  Learn from it and move on.

EDIT:  In the meantime, I strongly recommend you spend more time grinding regular tech tree ships in randoms than ruining teammates matches in Ranked. 

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Bad 1

Members
1,049 posts
4,671 battles

If OP actually ground his way to T8, he would've learned how detrimental it is to chase CV at high tiers. You get to sink CVs only if they made a terrible mistake and there is nothing better to do.

Members
578 posts
4,956 battles

A T8 CV player who has suffered through the intolerable queue times is probably a fairly decent and dedicated player. It is rare to ever successfully sneak up on a CV like this.  Current detection is irrelevant if you had previously been spotted or had a radio location mark on you. 

The Harekaze has one card to play in ranked, and that is as a spotting DD with some bite.  Chasing a CV isolates you and makes you an easy mark for everyone. Plus, the Harekaze has the lowest HP pool at that tier.  You will not survive being focused...by anything.  

Also, did you take TRB instead of smoke? If you did, then know that a CV game is your Achilles heel. Chasing a CV with no smoke is suicidal. A TRB Harekaze should be terrified of CV games. I bet that CV was shocked you even thought to chase. 

Regardless, if you are going to chase a CV, then you had better kill it...as fast as possible. If you die while chasing a CV, then you have doubled down a typically bad strategic choice.

Edited by Uber_Ghost

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,378 posts
12,733 battles
5 minutes ago, Vaitmana said:

If OP actually ground his way to T8, he would've learned how detrimental it is to chase CV at high tiers. You get to sink CVs only if they made a terrible mistake and there is nothing better to do.

I see a lot of high tier DDs in randoms chasing CV too.  I remember one game where the Ranger on my team moved in to get detected by a DD capping, DD left cap chasing the ranger and cost his team the game.

[PRU]
Members
116 posts
4,404 battles

If you are unspotted in a DD for some time, there are two places you can be, working an uncontested cap (which would kick off the cap timer)...or chasing the CV. He knows you're there and he has all the advantages. It doesn't take much to send his squadrons off at possible threat angles before combining them for the next strike. Also, in Ranked, cap control is more important than chasing a CV to torp range. 

Members
1,049 posts
4,671 battles
1 minute ago, crzyhawk said:

I see a lot of high tier DDs in randoms chasing CV too.  I remember one game where the Ranger on my team moved in to get detected by a DD capping, DD left cap chasing the ranger and cost his team the game.

There are many fools in T10 as well, for those number of battles is irrelevant.

• Cool 1

[RO-I]
Members
64 posts
2,084 battles
3 hours ago, ZoomieG said:

Not quite the right question.

The more accurate question is:  What are YOU doing in ranked?

You are a Tier 4/5 player attempting to play well above your level in premium ships.

You will have a better experience if you actually play up some lines, rather than just jumping into high tier (competitive) play.

And you, who the f..ck are you with your 1600 battles? A reroller or what? I spit on you reroller, you are the most abject kind of player..

Edited by Sheeple_Slayer
  • Bad 3

[RO-I]
Members
64 posts
2,084 battles

I appreciate those who wrote decent replies.

And like usual, the majority of neckbeard baboons replied only to inflate their "muscles" and to show me how good they think they are and how bad they think I am.

2 hours ago, Vaitmana said:

And you? If you are poor and have a lot of your life to waste, then grind whatever the f..ck you want, but don't make the mistake to think you're better only because you're a baboon with no money and lot of free time.

I'll tell you a secret, you poor neckbeard, there are people much more intelligent than others, so they don't need thousands of battles, aka time lost (like the stupid ones), to learn and to know how to play a game.

Edited by Sheeple_Slayer
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[SOSL]
Members
147 posts
6,430 battles
5 minutes ago, Sheeple_Slayer said:

I'll tell you a secret, you poor neckbeard, there are people much more intelligent than others, so they don't need thousands of battles, aka time lost (like the stupid ones), to learn and to know how to play a game.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is a hell of a drug.

Edited by Formerly_Wu
  • Funny 1

Beta Testers
1,519 posts
9,462 battles
23 minutes ago, Sheeple_Slayer said:

I appreciate those who wrote decent replies.

And like usual, the majority of neckbeard baboons replied only to inflate their "muscles" and to show me how good they think they are and how bad they think I am.

And you? If you are poor and have a lot of your life to waste, then grind whatever the f..ck you want, but don't make the mistake to think you're better only because you're a baboon with no money and lot of free time.

If you are so clever, why are you foolish enough to pitch a fit and insult somebody for giving you decent advice?

Dude - if you really knew how to play the game after under 1000 battles, you wouldn't have made the mistake you made.  

I'll tell you a secret - I own my home outright, am not poor, don't have a beard, but I have time to play what I like, as often as I like, am a decent player... and wouldn't claim to know everything there is to know.

Ignore the insults, but take the advice.

• Cool 1

Members
1,049 posts
4,671 battles
1 hour ago, Sheeple_Slayer said:

Now you just made yourself and idiot for assuming things. I prefer to spend thousands on my downhill skiing hobby and my car, while I simply enjoy playing this game as it is, not wasting any time. If you think learning something properly or playing lower tiers is wasting your life, well good for you, there is a lot of crap you will have to take from many players in this game.

Looking at your stats in game, you need those numbers of battles, 47% win rate makes you below the average.

Also, you sound like some kid in puberty with your explosive reactions and if you are not then, unfortunately, you are a manchild.

Edited by Vaitmana

[KSC]
Members
70 posts
16,793 battles
4 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

You really should not be chasing CVs in ranked.  This is probably not the response you're looking for but there it is.

Especially if a couple pings on the map and lines in chat distract you so much that you can't accomplish anything.