You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Stat shaming - get your stats right

20 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,546 posts

Attention players. If you want to stat shame me you should know my stats have been hidden now for two years. If you want to call me out just realize how silly you'll look using data two years old. 

I laugh till my toes tingle when one of you do it. It really is hilarious. Which of course is why statistics in the hands of the general public can lead to some very wrong conclusions. 

And I am not the only one. Others have their stats hidden. So please do keep trying to slam us in chat with your stat shamming.  Although I do believe that probably violates the EULA in one way or another. 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 6

[SF-A]
Members
3,012 posts
6,379 battles

I suppose the emblem should tell them something about your slight competency in high-tier German machines...

:fish_book:

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Average damage has no friends because it's not exceptional and has a tendency to hurt people.

Win rate is a loser, no matter what it calls itself.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,006 posts

Strange thing about the emblems.

I always use them to determine who to focus on first.  They are one item that are still available on the 'Tab' display.

I've also seen unicums revert back to the simple anchor to hide this as well.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Speaking of EULA, I got an email yesterday that they're gonna change it next month. 

I wonder if anyone that's "legal minded" will give us the "real skinny" on the changes?

Prolly something in there that allows them to give our info to the state if war ever breaks out. 

Da comrade. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
5 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Speaking of EULA, I got an email yesterday that they're gonna change it next month. 

I wonder if anyone that's "legal minded" will give us the "real skinny" on the changes.

Prolly something in there that allows them to give our info to the state if war ever breaks out. :Smile-_tongue: :Smile_teethhappy:

Da comrade.

At a guess it is related to the recent legal ruling in the Netherlands & Belgium which is going to really hammer the companies that sell loot boxes that have 99% useless and near valueless garbage in them.

[TF57]
Members
1,380 posts
4,089 battles

I'm pretty sure, whenever someone feels compelled to make a post celebrating their hidden stats and how they disprove statistics.....

....that my conclusions about both their in-game skill, intellect and character are pretty accurate.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Members
4,723 posts
7,872 battles

Heh.  I stat shame myself. I am at 49% overall last time I looked. May have dropped after a horrid Fri night. Why o why do I play Friday nights! Yuk. In some ships I am much higher. Anyone don't like my numbers they can go suck bilge water. I try, I fight....... and doing better these days. I don't much care at all about a players numbers IF they try and they fight and strive to do better.  I don't make this my job. That's my philosophy. It's a cliche but hell it's just a video game. Have fun...but if you on my team pls give it your best and you got my respect even if you are not a unicorn. I sure have no room to diss anyone and I don't. Actually I don't see stat shaming as much of a problem in WoWs. I sure DID in WoTs. Ugly over there and I don't play it much anymore.

• Cool 2

[CAFE]
WoWS Community Contributors
151 posts
16,078 battles

I don't see stat shaming much either. I use stats to know what to expect from my team and the enemy team. That is all.

[TOG]
Members
3,420 posts
17,862 battles
4 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Heh.  I stat shame myself. I am at 49% overall last time I looked. May have dropped after a horrid Fri night. Why o why do I play Friday nights! Yuk. In some ships I am much higher. Anyone don't like my numbers they can go suck bilge water. I try, I fight....... and doing better these days. I don't much care at all about a players numbers IF they try and they fight and strive to do better.  I don't make this my job. That's my philosophy. It's a cliche but hell it's just a video game. Have fun...but if you on my team pls give it your best and you got my respect even if you are not a unicorn. I sure have no room to diss anyone and I don't. Actually I don't see stat shaming as much of a problem in WoWs. I sure DID in WoTs. Ugly over there and I don't play it much anymore.

If I have to look up your stats in a middle of a game that means one of two things:

1. I died early and I'm looking to vent on someone I think lead to my early demise, rather than accepting it's my fault.

2. I'm not paying attention to the game and just like to troll.

Looking at your W/R just tell me me how you're doing before. Not how good you would be in the future. I need the magic 8 ball for that. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Members
1,936 posts
51 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Attention players. If you want to stat shame me you should know my stats have been hidden now for two years. If you want to call me out just realize how silly you'll look using data two years old. 

I laugh till my toes tingle when one of you do it. It really is hilarious. Which of course is why statistics in the hands of the general public can lead to some very wrong conclusions. 

And I am not the only one. Others have their stats hidden. So please do keep trying to slam us in chat with your stat shamming.  Although I do believe that probably violates the EULA in one way or another. 

They obviously still got under your skin because you felt the need to vent about it to uninvolved parties on a game forum. 

Maybe you should hide your chat too, 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,903 battles
6 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

They obviously still got under your skin because you felt the need to vent about it to uninvolved parties on a game forum. 

Maybe you should hide your chat too, 

I recent had him on my team it's no surprise his stats are hidden.

• Funny 3

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,491 battles

I don’t care about how bad my stats look! :D I wouldn’t hide them! :Smile_hiding:

Members
4,723 posts
7,872 battles
45 minutes ago, DerekSlide said:

I don't see stat shaming much either. I use stats to know what to expect from my team and the enemy team. That is all.

An average player can have a GREAT game.  You just don't know when it may happen. I go back and forth and that is one of my issues....just not consistent but I will and do have some pretty dang good performances these days.. The great players are consistent.  Hell I played at a 60% win rate for over 50 matches but past few days have been sucking.  That's me!

It was nice to join this game and get away from that constant stat shaming in that other game. Most all players here are pretty dang nice if you are trying. Of course none of use like the guy who sits in the back hoping others will win the game and only moves out after the game is already won.  Those types drive me crazy.  Carry on.:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
567 posts
80 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Hiding stats and doing something stupid in game = having bad stats, people who fall under either category are going to receive a larger volume of ridicule. 

The only proven, successful way to reduce (will never fully get rid of) toxic criticism is to have considerably above avg stats and have them public.

And don't hate me if you disagree, I didn't make the rule on social norms. Humans are masterful at rationalization. They're always going to look for something that supports their argument. 

Edited by A_Crying_Hipster
  • Cool 1

Members
567 posts
80 battles
8 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Of course none of use like the guy who sits in the back hoping others will win the game and only moves out after the game is already won.  Those types drive me crazy.  Carry on.:Smile_honoring:

Like this? 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

If you are that much better now why do you still have them hidden? Heck your old stats while not very good were showing steady improvement.

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

I dont see the point in hiding stats. If you're ashamed of them, then do something about it. If you dont really care, why hide them in the first place? Stat shaming happens, but I hardly ever see it in chat.

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,260 posts
7,140 battles

Fleet,

The purpose of the Forums is to engage with other players in healthy, civil, and constructive discussions.

As a reminder, discussion of stats with the intent of shaming or ridicule is not allowed and threads of this nature will be moderated accordingly.

Please keep all discussions civil, constructive, and appropriate for the Forums.

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1