You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

On becoming a paying player (ETA: Sorted.)

36 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
10,190 posts
6,652 battles

I will start by saying that I have no objection to anyone else doing this and spending as much as they like, and yet... taking that step myself makes me feel so dishonest and unclean, like I'm taking an unfair advantage.

And yet the deals are so good, it's becoming impossible to resist. Especially since I've seen the benefits of a permacamo on the Normandie (Ocean Liner, won) and the Cleveland (bought with won doubloons). 

Yeah, I know - I'm strange. But I'm conscious of the fact that until now I have merely CHOSEN to be a free player, while there are others who have no choice.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,418 battles

Maybe while you're up on that high horse with your sanctimonious opinion you can use the superior vision gained from elevation to spot all the [edited] that people give. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,797 posts
21,011 battles

Depending on the shiplines you have unlocked by now you may wanna take a look at the steam bundles. You get some good stuff for only 10$.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,190 posts
6,652 battles
Just now, Captain_Dorja said:

Maybe while you're up on that high horse with your sanctimonious opinion you can use the superior vision gained from elevation to spot all the [edited] that people give. 

Maybe you should go back and read my post more carefully, especially what I put in bold. I said quite bluntly I'm not judging other people but feel bad about doing it myself.

• Cool 2

Members
2,054 posts
509 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Maybe you should go back and read my post more carefully, especially what I put in bold. I said quite bluntly I'm not judging other people but feel bad about doing it myself.

HuoP28C.png

but yet here you are posting about it... like a narcissistic *%&@(# who feels the need to personally feel bad about something PUBLICLY....
If you feel that bad then stop doing it... and if you don't want to be called a narcissist then stop doing it PUBLICLY

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers
4,292 posts

You make it sound like paying for something in this game gives you an amazing advantage worthy of being ashamed of. Maybe you should take a look at the countless 35% WR players who whale money into this game like hell and still can't buy themselves basic skills to play properly. The things that actually matter in this game is how good you are, not how much money you spend -- and they're completely separate things.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,802 posts
4,579 battles

I'm sorry but I don't understand how it's an unfair advantage. The game is based on a freemium economy, that's just how it is. If what you bought gave you an unfair gameplay advantage, then yeah I can justify feeling unclean.  As for the other people who are not able to pay money, they are not that helpless. There are more than enough events giving you ships, doubloons, flags and camouflages. If you did the past events since 2016, you could have a Fujin or Kamikaze R, a Graf Spee, a Duke of York, Okt. Revolutsiya, Aigle, Katori, now Varyag and a BIsmarck with a free premium camo, all for free. There are some free players on these forums that grinded the xp for the Missouri without paying a dime .

Would it be better if the " while there are others who have no choice " people weren't able to even buy the game because it had a pricetag?

Edited by warheart1992

[YAN]
Members
1,649 posts
8,008 battles

Well, if you don't want to use your money, im sure there are plenty willing to use it.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,190 posts
6,652 battles
18 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Well, if you don't want to use your money, im sure there are plenty willing to use it.

Too late.

I swallowed my pride and did the deed.

Ishizuchi, Spee, and enough Doubloons to give all my tier 6-plus ships a perma-camo.

33 minutes ago, Woofship said:

You make it sound like paying for something in this game gives you an amazing advantage worthy of being ashamed of. Maybe you should take a look at the countless 35% WR players who whale money into this game like hell and still can't buy themselves basic skills to play properly. The things that actually matter in this game is how good you are, not how much money you spend -- and they're completely separate things.

That puts it in perspective. Thank you.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[NSC]
[NSC]
Members
240 posts
5,269 battles
28 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I swallowed my pride and did the deed.

You're going to find it allows you to run the lines quicker and maybe some of the missions but, other than that, a premium account or ship has no advantage in the game. The folks at wargaming work pretty hard to keep away from the "pay to win" label.

[DRACS]
Members
4,331 posts

Aside from a handful of OP premiums permanently pulled from the store, paying money in this game is not pay2win. Having a premium account or using super camos only gives you economic boosts so that you earn more credits and XP, and hence can get to higher tiers quicker where you'll get squished hard by those who know how to play at those tiers. So in essence, having a premium account is more like pay2lose ;)

[ARGSY]
Members
10,190 posts
6,652 battles
3 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Aside from a handful of OP premiums permanently pulled from the store, paying money in this game is not pay2win. Having a premium account or using super camos only gives you economic boosts so that you earn more credits and XP, and hence can get to higher tiers quicker where you'll get squished hard by those who know how to play at those tiers. So in essence, having a premium account is more like pay2lose ;)

:Smile_teethhappy:

The only exception I can think of is that having premium time, camo and earnings (or buying silver & gold hand over fist) can help a player stay in Ranked when they might otherwise have to bail. 

As for the super OP premiums, I take special delight in attacking those. Belfast may be an OP burninator, but she doesn't have heal and she doesn't have torps, and my Fiji and Edinburgh do. I sometimes think that if WG thought they were that inappropriate they should have been struck from the game and compensated with doubloons, but I guess offering a buyback when the smoke meta was changed probably was the most reasonable way for them to try to dilute the population (and IIRC some of the people who sold their OP smoke-and-radar cruisers regretted it sorely afterwards).

• Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,063 posts
28,893 battles

Unfair advantage? Nope.

You cannot buy skill, just doubloons, or premium ships, flag bundles that might help you grind faster, and the like.

Skill you gain by practice, not purchase.

Why would you feel dirty about Premium stuff? No obligation, and no need to buy. Some do, some don't. I don't see an issue either way.

The only thing that might make you feel a bit shameful is seal clubbing, but we all do it one time or another.

• Cool 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
400 posts
3,281 battles

I'll just say this:  My HSF Harekaze, HSF Graf Spee, Kaga, Saipan and others still sink like a stone just as fast as my St. Louis, Kongo, and other tech tree ships when I'm driving them. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,418 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Donald Trump says he's honest. I say I'm 6 foot 20" and in fighting trim. Talk is cheap, and when your words say two things at once is not even worth the already low price. 

[TF-60]
Members
273 posts
9,165 battles

Look at it this way:. Spending money speeds up your advancement. It also pays the bills of running a server and paying the developers.  In essence, paying keeps the game alive.

If the game is entertaining, and you have the means, why not pay for the fun?  

• Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,388 posts
12,745 battles
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

why on earth does it make you feel unclean?

[ARGSY]
Members
10,190 posts
6,652 battles
1 hour ago, crzyhawk said:

why on earth does it make you feel unclean?

It's a moot point now, because I've taken the plunge

2 hours ago, Captain_Dorja said:

Donald Trump says he's honest. I say I'm 6 foot 20" and in fighting trim. Talk is cheap, and when your words say two things at once is not even worth the already low price. 

Keep politics out of this, please. It makes you look even more idiotic than you already are. Some of the people replying to me in this thread have done so in a very constructive and supportive manner, and to them I raise my hat. They are the polar opposite to you.

[PIZZA]
Supertester
949 posts
21,358 battles

The folks buying premiums and other things out the shop keep the game free for those that cannot afford it or don't want to pay.  So think of it as helping keep the game alive and free for many.

[PVE]
Members
1,698 posts
7,331 battles

Why would you even begin to feel bad? Its not like you are going to get any advantages over anyone else.  Despite what some believe that paying to play is cause for automatically becoming a higher rated or better player, take my word for it, it does not, if it was the case I would have one of the highest win rates in the game if not the highest due to al the money I have spent on it.  Being a 'Free to Play' game is just a leader to get someone to play, some stick to it some do not, but don't sweat it and don't feel guilty, you will not be morally judged at the pearly gates for spending money on the game.

[WOLF4]
Members
78 posts
4,616 battles

I was winning battles at a little under 55% until Christmas, when I went hog wild on santa crates.  Since then, almost exclusively playing the premiums I got in crates, I've been winning at about a 67% rate over 300-400 battles.  Mostly Atlanta, Gremy, and Giulio Cesare, some Belfast, and a little bit of Kutuzov, Atago, Kidd, and Leningrad.  I only play solo, and my skills didn't take that much of a leap, so I'm thinking the ships themselves are the main factor.

However, I bought them when I was about 2500 battles into the game.  If I had bought them with only 500 battles under my belt, I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten that kind of performance out of my new premiums.  They don't just win battles themselves, you still have to know how to play well in them and maximize each ship's strengths, just as you would in regular ships.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,190 posts
6,652 battles
1 hour ago, Judge_Doom said:

Why would you even begin to feel bad? Its not like you are going to get any advantages over anyone else.  Despite what some believe that paying to play is cause for automatically becoming a higher rated or better player, take my word for it, it does not, if it was the case I would have one of the highest win rates in the game if not the highest due to al the money I have spent on it.  Being a 'Free to Play' game is just a leader to get someone to play, some stick to it some do not, but don't sweat it and don't feel guilty, you will not be morally judged at the pearly gates for spending money on the game.

I think in part it was a feeling of discomfort that I might have any advantage over those who could not afford to put money into the game, and in part (possibly the much greaeter part) because "wallet warriors" actually is a perjorative here. The former has been thrashed out ad nauseam already.

As for the latter, it was high time I got over it - I've been playing since August 2017, I've ground the British cruisers out to Tier 8, the American destroyers to Tier 6... it's not like I'm the stereotype of a potato hopping into a Tirpitz and charging into Randoms as soon as his account level will let him.