Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AlcatrazNC

Shima 20km torps tips ?

9 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
2,550 posts
10,394 battles

Now that Shima has been buff, I found a reason to grind my Yuugumo but I'm bothered by the idea of being forced to grind again another 30k XP to unlock much better torps. 

Here's my question, how do you deal with those garbage 20km torps ? Did you free XP or you have some tips to land them and be at least decent at doing what you're supposed to do. I'm trying to save my Free XP for Musashi so I really appreciate any tips lol 

[HINON]
Supertester
20,521 posts
13,920 battles

Yeah. Get the 12km one as soon as you can.

Beta Testers
274 posts
9,594 battles

What Lert said.

If you really absolutely positively insist on grinding through the 20km's, though, I suggest not trying to fire them at a single target, but rather go for area saturation.  The more enemies that end up in your torpedoes' path, the more likely it is that one of them will catch a torp.

[CUTER]
Members
2,437 posts
11,266 battles

12km is more than worth the FXP, though I think WG needs to get with the program and flip the stock torps to 12km so guys dont have to drop FXP or grind to usable torps.

[DES23]
Alpha Tester
1,202 posts
4,951 battles

As stated, area saturation is a good idea. Especially to lock down a cap. Using your concealment to get under 10km before you launch them takes some of the pain out of them as well.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,985 posts
9,298 battles

Narrow spread at longer ranges unless your covering a massive area. Target smoke screens, usually easy targets. Get in close - just because you have a 20 km range does not mean you have to fire at 20 all the time Your spotted range is 5-6 km, then fire from 5.5-6.5. You have stealth, use it. 

And I can not stress this enough - if there is even a 1% chance your torps will hit a friendly ship, forcea friendly ship to dodge, or run along side the friendly ship: DO  NOT   FIRE.

[SYN]
Members
3,363 posts
16,145 battles

You need to get to minimum distance before launch. That way your spread is much tighter and there is less time for ships to dodge.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
514 posts
4,682 battles

For some reason I had weird luck with the 20km torps and people found ways to sail in front of them even after they had sailed past their teammates and had been quite obviously spotted for several kilometers.  Best advice I'd give is aim for BBs since they're cumbersome, and if possible shoot for those lovely blobs of back-line snipers that develop in some games that are normally out of range of other torpedoes.  Also like others have said, that extra launcher can do wonders for putting so many fish in an area that even when they're spotted it's still hard to completely avoid them all.  Plus it is a 200% xp weekend so that should speed things along a bit.

Just think of it as a right of passage all Shima captains have to go thru.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,901 posts
10,901 battles

Get TA on that captain and cut them down to 16km, at 67 knots, the 20 km torps just spend too long in the water, and dumb things will happen with them. The other option is to get rid of them entirely and go to the 12 km torps and save the skill points on the captain.

Sign in to follow this