You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Using the Benson in Ranked battles

14 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
390 posts
5,067 battles

Just played my very first Ranked battle ever.  It was in my Benson.  What a glorious experience!  I drove her like I stole her and the map had a whole group of islands within the C cap that was a dd drivers fantasy date.  It was soooo nice not to worry about planes and to have the entire team focused on winning and paying attention to each other.

I'm new to the Benson, but she has my highest rated captain (thank you Sims) at 16 points.  He has PM, LS, BFT, CE (standard USN 10 dd pt skills).  My additional skills are Adrenaline Rush (AR) and Survivability Expert (SE).  The reason for those two skills is that in Random, I tend to have to slug my way out of trouble when one (or more) of my Random teammates does something dumb and gets themselves deleted.  It is more of a defensive skill set.  Having a sample size of one in Ranked, I don't know if maybe that is the proper skill set, but it feels like I'm expecting trouble and not planning on dealing it out.

I'm wondering if I should redistribute the captains skills to be more offensive for Ranked battles?  At 5.8 km concealment, she's plenty stealthy, so if I get jumped, it's my own damn fault.  What do you think about switching AR for TA and SE for DE?  What do I do with the extra point?  Is there a 1 pt skill set other than PM that is useful in Ranked?

Thanks in advance for your help.

[DES23]
Alpha Tester
1,202 posts
4,951 battles

The Fletcher gets all the attention, but the Benson is an underappreciated beast. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,010 posts
19,932 battles
21 minutes ago, AMajor said:

Just played my very first Ranked battle ever.  It was in my Benson.  What a glorious experience!  I drove her like I stole her and the map had a whole group of islands within the C cap that was a dd drivers fantasy date.  It was soooo nice not to worry about planes and to have the entire team focused on winning and paying attention to each other.

I'm new to the Benson, but she has my highest rated captain (thank you Sims) at 16 points.  He has PM, LS, BFT, CE (standard USN 10 dd pt skills).  My additional skills are Adrenaline Rush (AR) and Survivability Expert (SE).  The reason for those two skills is that in Random, I tend to have to slug my way out of trouble when one (or more) of my Random teammates does something dumb and gets themselves deleted.  It is more of a defensive skill set.  Having a sample size of one in Ranked, I don't know if maybe that is the proper skill set, but it feels like I'm expecting trouble and not planning on dealing it out.

I'm wondering if I should redistribute the captains skills to be more offensive for Ranked battles?  At 5.8 km concealment, she's plenty stealthy, so if I get jumped, it's my own damn fault.  What do you think about switching AR for TA and SE for DE?  What do I do with the extra point?  Is there a 1 pt skill set other than PM that is useful in Ranked?

Actually, I think that your skills are fine.  I might prefer SI to BFT, but I value consumables on DDs.  As for SE, absolutely don't give that up.  the extra HP are always worth it on a higher tier DD.  As for TA, honestly, I wouldn't give up that range myself, but opinions may differ.

As for 1 point skills, PT is always a good one for a DD that uses its guns a lot, because it lets you know when you need to start evading and possible try to go dark.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Glad you're doing well in it, and more importantly having fun while doing so.

If I were you, I would ride it out with what you have until you know it's worth paying for a respec.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,481 posts
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

I don't believe I would take TA. As it stands, you can launch from beyond New Orleans' radar range, the five knot increase in speed is not really worth the loss of that ability. Chapayev is another story, but with shorter duration radar you still have a chance from 9.2Km, not so  much from 7.36. Never, ever give up SE. Get your fires from quantity rather than gambling on DE.

[IXM]
Members
214 posts
4,926 battles

Like others said, your skills are perfectly fine. Personally I think Survival Expert is a must have on all USN DDs, since you will be involved in a lot of gunfights at close range, and SE is usually the skill that decides if you live after nomming up a random fishie or not. In either case the extra HP is always welcome. I also prefer it to Superintendant/Basic Fire Training for 10pt builds.

I've never found Torpedo Acceleration to be of much use on any of the USN DDs (maybe save for the Gearing), I'd rather take Jack of all Trades or add extra point and get Demolition Expert (7% is a big improvement over 5% fire). Basic Fire Training is another very useful skill, as it boosts both your main gun fire rate as well as AA gun range (gets even more useful on Fletcher and Gearing who can mount DFAA w/o sacrificing a gun).

And finally, I really appreciate Priority Target on destroyers. It can easily tell you when you can be aggressive or when it's time to get the duck out. I always take it over Preventive Maintenance.

This is my Benson fit -- Demo/Super on your decision. If you're consistently running short on consumables, then Super might be more useful for you.

Edited by Aessaya
  • Cool 1

[DBM]
Members
390 posts
5,067 battles
On 4/28/2018 at 12:08 AM, Wulfgarn said:

Glad you're doing well in it, and more importantly having fun while doing so.

If I were you, I would ride it out with what you have until you know it's worth paying for

Wulfgarn - can't thank you enough for putting together the chart of hydro and radar ships.  Your willingness to spend the time to put that together makes many of us better players.

All ships in Ranked Season 9 with radar/hydro, and their ranges/durations

https://i.imgur.com/s2PWkly.png

• Cool 1

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
17 hours ago, AMajor said:

Wulfgarn - can't thank you enough for putting together the chart of hydro and radar ships.  Your willingness to spend the time to put that together makes many of us better players.

All ships in Ranked Season 9 with radar/hydro, and their ranges/durations

https://i.imgur.com/s2PWkly.png

Happy to help, and thanks for saying that!

You made my day knowing it helped you.:Smile_honoring:

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2

[DBM]
Members
390 posts
5,067 battles
8 hours ago, Wulfgarn said:

Happy to help, and thanks for saying that!

It's important that you guys with 7K battles under your belt know that when you speak, we listen.  As long as I have your ear, I just got my second captain's skill point (I'm at 17 now).  It will be a LONG time till I get the next one (259000 feels like forever away).  I have two skill points that I can put to use now.  I started well in Ranked, but now that I'm at 16, I'm getting my butt kicked.  It doesn't make sense leaving those two point just sitting there, so what do you suggest.  As a reminder - in a Benson with the BIG 4 (PM, LS, SE, CE)  I also have AR (2) and BFT (3).  Checked the wiki page - wasn't much help.  Neither was the Captain Skill calculator at Ship Comrade (all 19 pt captains).  What would YOU do with the two points?

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
On 5/8/2018 at 10:51 PM, AMajor said:

It's important that you guys with 7K battles under your belt know that when you speak, we listen.  As long as I have your ear, I just got my second captain's skill point (I'm at 17 now).  It will be a LONG time till I get the next one (259000 feels like forever away).  I have two skill points that I can put to use now.  I started well in Ranked, but now that I'm at 16, I'm getting my butt kicked.  It doesn't make sense leaving those two point just sitting there, so what do you suggest.  As a reminder - in a Benson with the BIG 4 (PM, LS, SE, CE)  I also have AR (2) and BFT (3).  Checked the wiki page - wasn't much help.  Neither was the Captain Skill calculator at Ship Comrade (all 19 pt captains).  What would YOU do with the two points?

Before I answer this, let me say that some of these skills are more dependent on your style of play than anything else. What works for me past "the big 4" might not work for someone else.

If I were running the Benson in ranked, mine would look like...

8nXfQm5.png

The only caveats to this build are TAE (3) and RPF (Radio Location 4).

TAE (3) could be changed out for SE (3). The Benson benefits greatly from TAE since it's torps take a while to reload, however if you are smoking your team, SE would be the better choice. Since the smoke nerf, it's debatable on how often DD's smoke friendlies, or if it's even worth doing. Cruisers are fine to smoke, but BB's aren't worth the time, "unless" they know what they're doing. A BB in smoke should be using that time to heal/repair/planning, and not for firing. It's a great tactic to take the heat off of someone.

It take a good bit of time for the Benson to reload torps, so TAE (3) makes the better sense. To me at least, but again it's debatable.

RPF (4) is a great skill and personally I think its a bit OP (although I've never said that openly until now). I pretty much know where DD's are gonna be, but anything can happen in ranked. My team loves it when I ping where it's locating and I feel "that" alone is worth the investment. Nothing is better than a DD pop'n up where your whole team has their guns trained because you told them. It also helps me with radar ships that are hiding behind islands. This skill is a "hot button" issue with many Captains, but ultimately you need to know what you're doing. The majority of top DD's captains run this.

If I didn't run RPF...

C2FTyrZ.png

The only caveats with this are PT (1), and SE (3).

PT (1) is basically a left over point and PT makes the most sense. This skill is great for Cruisers, and some DDs (like VMF). Regardless, it's not a terrible thing to know when you are targeted. It lets you know to maneuver, hide behind an island, or smoke.

I mentioned SE(3) already above, but having an extra smoke for yourself isn't a bad thing. If I were to change out SE for something else, I would prolly go with DE(3). Extra fire change is always a nice thing, but it depends on if you are using your guns a lot. I use mine every chance I get when I have an island between me and the enemy, or in smoke. 

Now to your question..

Speaking on ranked specifically, I don't think BFT(3) might not be the greatest choice. Your main guns fire fast enough already. The AA dmg is an awesome thing in randoms, but how many CV's are you seeing in ranked? I'm at R14 now and I don't think I've seen one up until this point. It "can" be helpful against spotter planes though. You basically need to weigh out what your experiences have taught you so far in the game as to which is more important.

As far as having two extra points, I've been there bro. TBH, I would suggest waiting until you get 3 where they'll benefit you more. I say this as a person who thinks "long and hard" before I pay doubloons to respec a commander. I'm pretty cheap when you start talking about stuff like that, but if you have no problem spending money for multiple respec's, then it doesn't really matter.

What are you thinking of using those two for? Just a gut reaction will do if needed. No judgment here.

When you are looking for builds, I would suggest going to Youtube and watching peeps like Notser, Flamu, iChasegaming, Flambass, etc... I wouldn't be the player that I am today without them. Keep in mind the dates the vids came out though, a major patch could've changed something and made the vid obsolete.

If you've getting your butt kicked around, then maybe think about the tactics that you employ as well. Commander skills do help, but your tactics are primary. I don't have a problem throwing out some suggestions if you wanna let me know how you normally roll.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2

[TFLT]
Members
181 posts
9,594 battles

I don't know exactly why but I have always considered the Benson the Pinnacle of the US DD line. Sure Gearing and and Fletcher torps are better but they come with the cost of playing all or nearly all games at Tier X with the added anti DD capabilities that come with the higher tiers. It may just be that Benson fits my particular play style but I find that my performance in it greatly exceeded my performance in Fletcher or Gearing. Lo Yang for that matter as well. 

I think the first time I made Rank 1 was the first Season they used Tier 8 for Ranked Battles and I rode the Benson right down to Rank 1. This Season I started at Rank 18 (I was given Rank 13 for making Rank 1 the time before and was only able to play one game that season due to an injury so I started at 18 due to free stars). I made it to Rank 10 in only 12 games with Benson. Strangely I'm a DD main and had big problems running Gearing at Tier X once I reached Rank 10 so I switched over to Des Moines. Once I switched I swiftly made it down to Rank 5...which is odd because Cruisers are probably my least favorite Class to play Day to Day. I was just getting spanked in my Gearing so I switched over to DM and it really seems to be working for me somehow. I really despise the passive play necessary to do well in a Cruiser but am willing to suck it up to get that 3rd Rank 1 and get that Flint.

People seem to greatly undervalue and underestimate the power of a Benson played well. Below is my exact build except I take Superintendent instead of Torpedo Expert. 

8nXfQm5.png

Edited by CyberKnife

[-BRS-]
Members
402 posts
12,299 battles

I have a 100% wr in the Benson in ranked. I did not play it much, but it was awesome. The Chapayev Was my go to ship. stuck at rank 10 and really don't want to embarass myself playing T10's. I suck equally with all T10 ships.

[DBM]
Members
390 posts
5,067 battles
On 5/9/2018 at 12:39 PM, Wulfgarn said:

When you are looking for builds, I would suggest going to Youtube and watching peeps like Notser, Flamu, iChasegaming, Flambass, etc... I wouldn't be the player that I am today without them

Me neither.  I don't set foot in the game with a new ship without watching a vid from iChase.  Lots of great videos, but sometimes they do contradict each other which makes it confusing.  I also find lots of help here in the forum.

On 5/9/2018 at 12:39 PM, Wulfgarn said:

If you've getting your butt kicked around, then maybe think about the tactics that you employ as well. Commander skills do help, but your tactics are primary

Three things are tripping me up in Ranked:

1) Hydro dds (LoYang, Z23) - it's not that I can't do damage to them with guns, but it's their buddies

2) Radar Cruisers (New Orleans, Edinburgh, and (my nemesis) Chapayev - there's never just one of them and they tend to work together

3) Poor Cap support - Example 1: I beat feet to get at least one of the caps, get lit up by one of the aforementioned hydro dds, and start taking fire from him and two of his buddies so I'm running for my life.  Where is my team?....hanging back and talking LR shots at the red team that I spotted.  Example two, we grab a cap and I move on to help contest a second.  Does anyone from my team bother to pay attention to the first cap????  Example three, we all go charging into the first cap, capture it, but then some of my teammates seem to get "stuck" there (it must be their happy place)..  The other team captures 2 caps and we end up losing on points.

Any suggestions?

10 hours ago, Gary_P said:

The Chapayev Was my go to ship

I despise that ship driving a dd and call down fire as soon as I spot her (not that my team pays much attention when I do)

• Cool 1