Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kukailimoku

Mutsuki or Minekaze? Both line and the ships themselves

7 comments in this topic

Members
31 posts
3,116 battles

Hello,

Which is the better choice? Minkaze or Mutsuki?

A) Which is the better choice speaking only of the two ships Min & Muts?

b)Which is the better choice considering the line down which one will continue to grind (e.g. Akizuki vs Kag/Yug/Shim)?

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,484 posts
5,762 battles

Of the two I'd say Minekaze. It has three double launchers as opposed to two triple launchers, meaning you can spread the torps around more efficiently. If something only needs 2 torps to be finished, a Mutsuki would have to fire 1/2 her torpedoes, while Minekaze would only have to fire 1/3rd.

The lines are toss up. Currently the Akizuki line is going to eventually be expanded into tier IX and X, but we don't really know how they'll function. Overall it's preference. If you want more all-around ships with focus on torpedoes, go Shima line. If you want more gunboaty destroyers go the Akizuki line (which will be branched into 2 more extra-gunboat IJN DDs).

[RLGN]
Members
10,061 posts
19,467 battles

Mutsuki if you’re good at using concealment, area denial torping, and stalking for point-blank ambushes.

Minekaze if you gunboat equally as much as stealth torping.

• Cool 1

Members
31 posts
3,116 battles
1 hour ago, Cruiser_StLouis said:

Of the two I'd say Minekaze. It has three double launchers as opposed to two triple launchers, meaning you can spread the torps around more efficiently. If something only needs 2 torps to be finished, a Mutsuki would have to fire 1/2 her torpedoes, while Minekaze would only have to fire 1/3rd.

The lines are toss up. Currently the Akizuki line is going to eventually be expanded into tier IX and X, but we don't really know how they'll function. Overall it's preference. If you want more all-around ships with focus on torpedoes, go Shima line. If you want more gunboaty destroyers go the Akizuki line (which will be branched into 2 more extra-gunboat IJN DDs).

Thanks for that synopsis. I welcome more opinions.

Based upon what you said so far though, I can't imagine wanting to even play DDs as gunners - there are tons of Light (CL) and a few Heavy (CA) crusiers out there that already function as fast DPM gunners. To me, DDs are all about stealth, spotting, and torps torps torps. Yeah, I like my current US DD's guns, for sure, but only as an aside, as a last ditch, or those rare but fun situations where you've found yourself BEHIND the enemy's force ("behind" relative to where they're pointing their guns at your own force) then it can be fun to pew-pew-pew the other side of an enemies BB and set it afire a few times. Fun for a little while at least.

But generally, that's what I have CLs and CAs for.

My two cents, but for me DD = Trops + Conceal (mostly).

I look forward to hearing more...

Members
31 posts
3,116 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Mutsuki if you’re good at using concealment, area denial torping, and stalking for point-blank ambushes.

Minekaze if you gunboat equally as much as stealth torping.

Nice. Thx.

[GULAG]
[GULAG]
Members
151 posts
1,633 battles

If you want to focus on torpedoes and stealth, do the Mutsuki line to Shimakaze. The alternate line is still stealthy with good torpedoes, and both lines have access to TRB (Kagero at T8 and Shiratsuyu at T7, for example). The other lines are much more focused on their guns than the IJN (Akatsuki is a separate case). I have sunk more than a few ships with my guns in a USN or KM DD; and the Russian DDs are insanely fast, which makes stealth sort of irrelevant given their flat gun arcs and rate of fire.

Using your guns in a DD is absolutely viable, its just harder when you have radar cruisers running around.

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

I prefer Mutsuki because I like to try to be a sneakiebote~

Both are very good boats though, think it really depends on what style of play

Sign in to follow this