You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

Asashio--the IJN Ninja Has Returned

44 comments in this topic

Members
3,929 posts
8,475 battles

I imagine when the word goes round in the BB herd Asashio the Assassin will be more properly anticipated and will be hunted down with as much fear and loathing accorded the Shima.

For now however, the Asashio is the ninja in the game for the wallowing tubs to worry about. Asashio ninja:

--you must never be seen

--you must intuit BB movements at long range. If you do, by the time they see your 70 knot torps coming in... imagine the horror. Schadenfreude is what it is.

All BBs and CVs in the pre-battle screen will either breath a sigh of relief or butt-clench over this little monster. She is also an excellent spotter with a spotted range of 5.4 kms (!), and a fine cap-grabber just when the reds thought they had nailed that one and moved on.

First battle in this little beast. Time will tell how this assassin does but its a game changer:

Asashio.jpg.1ccb9ca6d80c4172385b85cecb023882.jpg

[-K-]
Members
6,130 posts
10,294 battles

Problem for Asashio is that she is easily countered by any other ship outside of BB's.  Not a hard kill.  

She's basically a DD that needs to be played passively to be effective, which is counter-intuitive to the DD meta in general.  A definite negative addition to the game.

Would basically be the equivalent of introducing a CV that could only strike one class.  Futile, indeed.

Edited by Ace_04

[WORX]
Members
3,391 posts
14,753 battles

The verdict is still out there if this can be a "game changer" I mean I like the love and the hype for the Asashio, maybe the Shima can take a load off like you said, its a more extreme version of the Shima...  I for one just do not like the DWT,  Glad you had a good first game.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,410 posts
8 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

I imagine when the word goes round in the BB herd Asashio the Assassin will be more properly anticipated and will be hunted down with as much fear and loathing accorded the Shima.

For now however, the Asashio is the ninja in the game for the wallowing tubs to worry about. Asashio ninja:

--you must never be seen

--you must intuit BB movements at long range. If you do, by the time they see your 70 knot torps coming in... imagine the horror. Schadenfreude is what it is.

All BBs and CVs in the pre-battle screen will either breath a sigh of relief or butt-clench over this little monster. She is also an excellent spotter with a spotted range of 5.4 kms (!), and a fine cap-grabber just when the reds thought they had nailed that one and moved on.

First battle in this little beast. Time will tell how this assassin does but its a game changer:

SNIP

Sorry, but I'm doubting it's a real good cap grabber, when it can't defend itself against any other dd...:Smile_teethhappy:

[RKLES]
Members
8,929 posts
10,828 battles
8 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Problem for Asashio is that she is easily countered by any other ship outside of BB's.  Not a hard kill.  

She's basically a DD that needs to be played passively to be effective, which is counter-intuitive to the DD meta in general.  A definite negative addition to the game.

Would basically be the equivalent of introducing a CV that could only strike one class.  Futile, indeed.

And Asashio can easily fail at it's one job of hunting BBs lol.

Members
3,929 posts
8,475 battles
8 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Sorry, but I'm doubting it's a real good cap grabber, when it can't defend itself against any other dd...:Smile_teethhappy:

I just did it my last game so, sorry. It depends. Not at the outset, later on.

Members
3,929 posts
8,475 battles
10 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

The verdict is still out there if this can be a "game changer" I mean I like the love and the hype for the Asashio, maybe the Shima can take a load off like you said, its a more extreme version of the Shima...  I for one just do not like the DWT,  Glad you had a good first game.

Really I mean that, doing well or not, it changes the game for BB players knowing there is an Asashio on the other team. It's really huge damage. I know, I got nailed by one in an Iowa earlier today.

• Funny 1

Members
3,929 posts
8,475 battles
12 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

5.4 visibility range. Smoke. Speed boost.

Time will tell.

Members
260 posts
14,301 battles
1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

--you must never be seen

Asashio.jpg.1ccb9ca6d80c4172385b85cecb023882.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=10061896

jdLYEr7.jpg

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
6,130 posts
10,294 battles
2 hours ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

5.4 visibility range. Smoke. Speed boost.

Time will tell.

She arguably would need a dedicated captain for an optimal build, no?

Beta Testers
1,939 posts
10,762 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

Other than possibly TA, I think she can basically use typical IJN DD build.

[STW-N]
Members
16 posts
19,488 battles

THIS DD IS OVER POWERED FOR THE TOTAL GAME ANYBODY CAN PLAY IT WITH TOTAL INVINCIBILITY !!!!!!!!!! PAY TO WIN OR WALLET PLAYER

• Boring 1

[-K-]
Members
6,130 posts
10,294 battles

God bless the poor soul who brings an Asashio into Ranked.  The salt from his own team would be a lot to bear.

Members
260 posts
14,301 battles
28 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

God bless the poor soul who brings an Asashio into Ranked.  The salt from his own team would be a lot to bear.

A good DD commander knows Asashio is too specialized for Ranked Battles. Lo Yang and Harekaze are for Ranked :)

[RUST]
Beta Testers
514 posts
4,682 battles

Only 3 games into the Asashio but I've already found it can be very frustrating to play some times.  If MM doesn't bless me with lots of targets, or the team is too passive, or god forbid there are CVs it can be very hard to have a fulfilling game, and instead it seems like I'm left having to chuck torpedoes are ranges farther than I feel are reasonable to expect hits while trying to sneak caps on the down-low.  Ironically as utterly trash as I feel her guns are, I've probably janitored more kills with them than my torpedoes.  On the upside her detection is awesome so she can at least scout quite well; you can sometimes see the frustration from enemy DDs that you're lighting but who can't see you.

But 3 games is barely anything, so still to early to really judge her, especially before the hysteria blows over.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,716 posts
28,211 battles
12 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Not really. PM, LS, AR, SE, TAE, CE and RL on Admiral Yamamoto from my Yugumo works fine. 

Torpedo Acceleration reduces travel time a bit but the reduction in Reaction Time for your targets is minimal and insignificant. You can’t dodge these things. There isn’t enough time unless someone else spots them for you or you have hydro. 

I have been thinking about running Superintendent instead of Survivability Expert to get one more Torp Reload Booster. If you last 14 minutes you could use it.  However, SE helps you last longer...

[DOG]
Members
572 posts
7,254 battles

As I understand it deep-water torpedoes have a lower detection range than surface skimmers.  But is the range at which they are detected by hydro-acoustic  search any different?

[-GPS-]
Members
2,716 posts
28,211 battles
49 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

As I understand it deep-water torpedoes have a lower detection range than surface skimmers.  But is the range at which they are detected by hydro-acoustic  search any different?

Nope and that's why Bismarck, FDG and Kurfurst have an advantage.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,716 posts
28,211 battles

This was a nice Asashio battle.  Not my best but solid.

shot-18_04.28_10_44.47-0109.thumb.jpg.fd9888933864264d7e16388cd76a0de0.jpg

Notice the solo cap.  Yes, it was near the end.  However, it did help seal the deal.  Then there's 139k of spotting damage.  You can't torp cruisers but you sure can keep them lit up for your team.

shot-18_04.28_10_42.01-0119.thumb.jpg.414916fd136c62b83eafa6789b0a6645.jpg

Finally take a look at the Elite Commander XP.  If you have a 19-point IJN DD captain, this thing with the Asashio Mission cranks out Commander XP like the Missouri prints credits!

shot-18_04.28_10_41.52-0271.thumb.jpg.af3059c163448af55a40b128cdc1bed6.jpg

shot-18.04.28_10.41.58-0856.jpg

[-K-]
Members
6,130 posts
10,294 battles
1 hour ago, zubalkabir said:

Hydroacoustic provides a 25% increase to torpedo detection range.  But with only a 0.9km spotting distance on these DW torps, 25% doesn't add a whole lot to that.

2 hours ago, BigJohnsonLogan said:

A good DD commander knows Asashio is too specialized for Ranked Battles. Lo Yang and Harekaze are for Ranked :)

And Akizuki :cap_cool:

[-K-]
Members
6,130 posts
10,294 battles
4 hours ago, BigJohnsonLogan said:

Passive Battleships, You're the disease, and I'm the cure ... even in Ranked ...

Some would argue that Asashio is a disease unto herself...