You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CarbonButtprint

What ship should I take out against asashio spam?

Akizuki or Kiev  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one

• Akizuki
    • Kiev

31 comments in this topic

Members
1,201 posts
3,156 battles

I have the option of buying either Kiev or Akizuki, so which one would be better at ruining the games of new Asashio drivers? Should I use Kiev to hunt them down, or Akizuki to gun them down? 

[WNSTN]
Members
2,709 posts
16,386 battles

I'm thinking the Asashio gives the Akizuki new life...the life it lost when OWSF was removed.

[BOATC]
Members
241 posts
5,234 battles

Ive faced both in my Asashio and using RPF and team chat gotten them all killed for the most part. You get outspotted by a long ways. 

I would say take out any of the high tier radar cruisers. There are times when a gaggle of BBs is too enticing to not risk it. I've had a couple of times where Ive said "man, if that dude presses his radar button right now I am just deeeeeeaaaadddd".

[XBRTC]
Members
2,718 posts
8,695 battles

Man, either one would likely do just fine, but that Kiev... that's the one I'd go with if I was just purely looking for a DD hunter. You're not going to sneak up on them, but you've got enough of a speed advantage to force or decline battle, on your own terms. Akizuki, on the other hand... not nearly so easy to do.

[AAA]
Members
498 posts
8,161 battles

At least ask those ASHtards not to bring that ship to ranked. It ruins the matches of people on the team. I so wish they are on the red team. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
1,201 posts
3,156 battles
10 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Man, either one would likely do just fine, but that Kiev... that's the one I'd go with if I was just purely looking for a DD hunter. You're not going to sneak up on them, but you've got enough of a speed advantage to force or decline battle, on your own terms. Akizuki, on the other hand... not nearly so easy to do.

That's what I'm thinking. Asashio can easily outrun Akizuki, but Kiev can just drive up to an Asashio like it's nobody's business. 

[UEFN]
Members
790 posts
15,350 battles

Akizuki got outspot and outrun, you aren't going to have much if any success hunting Asashio with it.  Kiev has higher chance to catch up with speed but you will also get outspot, a smart Asashio will lure you straight into his CA/CL team awaiting for an insta-kill.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,793 posts
4,982 battles
10 minutes ago, Xcalib3r said:

Akizuki got outspot and outrun, you aren't going to have much if any success hunting Asashio with it.  Kiev has higher chance to catch up with speed but you will also get outspot, a smart Asashio will lure you straight into his CA/CL team awaiting for an insta-kill.

A smart Kiev driver wouldn't try to outspot Asashio, nor take that bait.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
221 posts
4,090 battles

Best concealment with a Kiev is 7,9 km. Só It Will outspot u by 2,5km!! More than enough to turn tail and get away. Ana Akizuki only 0,5 km. Not enough to maneuver and get away unspoted. Só Akizuki is way better.

[SALVO]
Members
19,951 posts
19,898 battles
37 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

At least ask those ASHtards not to bring that ship to ranked. It ruins the matches of people on the team. I so wish they are on the red team. 

I think that it might depend on how the Ranked team comp meta breaks out.  If you end up like a lot of battles I fought in last season that were 2 DD and the rest BBs, an Asashio might prosper.  OTOH, it puts a lot of pressure on the other DD for cap contention, because there's really only 2 things an Asashio can do, spotting and pounding BBs with torps, and a third being  trying to grab unopposed caps, using its (I assume) good concealment to avoid contact with any opposition.

It's a risky choice, which could back fire, if you had an enemy team comp like I just faced, i.e. 2 BB, 2 CA, 3 DD.  It seems that for the Asashio to be a good choice in Ranked, it requires there to be a lot of BBs.  The more enemy ships it can't hit, the worse the choice becomes.  Honestly, almost any other tier 8 DD is probably a safer choice.

[RKLES]
Members
8,922 posts
10,828 battles

Ranked Meta at moment is 1-2 BBs and a lot of DDs and CAs, so Asashio is pretty much useless.

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
2,718 posts
8,695 battles
2 hours ago, sbcptnitro said:

I'm thinking the Asashio gives the Akizuki new life...the life it lost when OWSF was removed.

image.png.470d672c981c131a28a7c89dddf20ae3.png

I'll just leave this here for all y'all Akizuki fans...

• Bad 1

Members
484 posts
2,928 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Ranked Meta at moment is 1-2 BBs and a lot of DDs and CAs, so Asashio is pretty much useless.

If there is a CV, it will try and kill it, I know from experience, it isn’t fun for either, one has to dodge torps, bombs, and shells, the other has to dodge stealth nuclear missiles. I know of this as the CV player, not the Crapsashio btw.

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles

Kinda curious. When have you seen Asashio "spam"? I have yet to see more than one on a team.  Lot more Bensons and Akizukis.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,536 posts
10,349 battles

Akizuki. Especially if you know there is only 1 ennemi DD, if you're spotted, just speed boost and rush him. I don't mind trading my HP for a kill.

Now pretty much all DD will counter Asashio : Kagerou can beat her thanks to her firepower, Z-23 has both gun and hydro, Benson has good gun, if a Kiev rushes you there is nothing you can do to prevent him spotting you. On a 1 v 1 scenario Asashio will most likely lose.

[SYN]
Members
3,362 posts
16,092 battles

Best single ship to counter a Asashio is a fast firing cruiser with radar. However you can't actively hunt until late game as you will be spotted and focused down.

Ideally you have a Kagero/CV to spot and then any ship can out gun it.

[XBRTC]
Members
2,718 posts
8,695 battles
19 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Akizuki. Especially if you know there is only 1 ennemi DD, if you're spotted, just speed boost and rush him. I don't mind trading my HP for a kill.

Now pretty much all DD will counter Asashio : Kagerou can beat her thanks to her firepower, Z-23 has both gun and hydro, Benson has good gun, if a Kiev rushes you there is nothing you can do to prevent him spotting you. On a 1 v 1 scenario Asashio will most likely lose.

aaaaaaaagain:

image.png.470d672c981c131a28a7c89dddf20a

• Boring 2

[WOLFB]
Members
2,536 posts
10,349 battles
3 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

aaaaaaaagain:

image.png.470d672c981c131a28a7c89dddf20a

Akizuki has 20k HP.  9.5k is barely half of his HP. And sorry to disappoint you but the ennemi Akizuki must have been a potato / overextended to not kill you in return.

I can show you lot of screen where I take down ennemi gunboat with my Yuugumo, it would not prove anything 

[WOLF3]
Members
19,157 posts
17,538 battles
12 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Akizuki has 20k HP.  9.5k is barely half of his HP. And sorry to disappoint you but the ennemi Akizuki must have been a potato / overextended to not kill you in return.

I can show you lot of screen where I take down ennemi gunboat with my Yuugumo, it would not prove anything 

The problem is DD fighting is anything but neat and tidy.

"You got Full HP like me?  Cool, let's fight."

Lots of possible variables, and why I was always entertained by my Div Mate when he beats Gearings with Shimakaze in a gunfight.

[XBRTC]
Members
2,718 posts
8,695 battles
2 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Okay, then. Here's a ranked battle from just now.

Only one BB per team, and I didn't kill the one on the red team.* My kills were a DD and an Edinburgh, both with guns, both contesting a cap.

Asashio is not as bad a gunboat as people are thinking it is.

unknown.png

*I did do 71k to him, but someone else killed him before he finished flooding.

*edit to add: downvote it all you want, but it still doesn't change the fact that I killed a DD and a CL with guns, with what is supposedly the worst gunboat at T8.

Edited by LT_Rusty_SWO
  • Bad 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,536 posts
10,349 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The problem is DD fighting is anything but neat and tidy.

"You got Full HP like me?  Cool, let's fight."

Lots of possible variables, and why I was always entertained by my Div Mate when he beats Gearings with Shimakaze in a gunfight.

OP wants to know what ship he should buy to counter Asashio. I'm only talking about 1 v 1 scenario and ship performance. Beating a Gearing with a Shimakaze isn't impossible, I even managed to gundown a Gearing with my Yuugumo,  But if we talk about raw performance an Akizuki / Kiev will always beat Asashio. Even a Kagerou is a better gunboat than Asashio.