You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Vulgarr

Asashio has arrived

22 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
309 posts
7 minutes ago, Swiggity_Mcgee said:

Its busted AF 

Not arguing but curious. How do you mean?
Is it lacking against cruisers and destroyers?
Does it break battleships?
Have you played it or basing your opinion on what you have seen?

Again I'm not trying to discredit your opinion, just curious as to what you are basing it on.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,628 posts
15,896 battles
20 minutes ago, Vulgarr said:

Again I'm not trying to discredit your opinion, just curious as to what you are basing it on.

Raw unadulterated fear?

• Funny 1

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
311 posts
5,717 battles

Thanks for the video Vulgarr, nice work. 

I think WG is trying to thin the BB herd down a bit!

Got in 2 quick games on my lunch break.  Here are my results in Kagero (for comparison) and Asashio so far:

Assashio.jpg

Edited by digitaljustice

[PLPT]
Members
933 posts
8,232 battles

Asashio will score big until BB drivers wisen up. Gotta wait a month or so before passing any kind of judgment.

[INTEL]
Members
7,063 posts
28,893 battles

Asashio first game: 2 NC killed - 89k dmg on a loss.

Weak against everyone else. Chased by a Benson, NOLA (using radar) and a Shiratsuyu. Wrecked the Shira with guns and used islands to evade. Survvived till the nearby end but weak against everyone not called BB.

Considering using TA on it.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,847 posts
5,245 battles

So with the Asashio out how often are you Asashio drivers running up against Gunboats on the hunt for you?  Debating on taking it out when I get home or sticking to my Akizuki or New Orleans

[MOO]
Members
57 posts
6,525 battles

I typically try to play aggressively in BBs to try to lead a push, but after being on the receiving end of not one, but TWO Asashios, I'm either going to camp and snipe, or simply not play high tier BBs anymore.  Good luck finding BB players that do anything more than border hump now.

[SYN]
Members
3,371 posts
16,209 battles

While it is very early I think this ship will firmly fit in the OP category, for those that utilise it's strengths.

Typical tactics that you use for Kagero/Yugumo work well.   You can Cap with the fantastic stealth without having to get involved in a duel and while gun boats can run you down if you use your smoke well you can mitigate that risk.  The guns while turrets are very slow are very good for alpha (2500 typical he salvo against DDs) and rof is workable if you spec your captain for them.

Had this MM in my 3rd battle

Spoiler

qTTpmA9.jpg

On the face of it this should have been a death sentence however it held it's own rather well

Spoiler

YQxma9O.jpg

Overall after 15 games so far I am very happy.             With play style typical of IJN stealth boats I don't expect too many surprises going forward.    

Spoiler

yyRqkKe.jpg

I think this ship will have an affect on the BB camping meta, with the long torp range sitting in spawn will be a whole lot riskier.  The only way to mitigate the low detection for a BB will be to work with more closely with your cruisers/DDs so that they will spot torps for you.

Edited by Camo68

[LHG]
Members
1,491 posts
5,986 battles

As I expected I've found it hard to have any influence in a match  the moment enemy battleships stop being a factor. Spotting means nothing if the team does nothing with the information I provide, and damage on BBs is wasted if the team does not capitalize on the advantage that I create. I've had some pretty stellar losses, as well as losses where I couldn't do anything to an aggressive enemy team because they were either properly screening their battleships or didn't have battleships in the push.

Asashio may be the battleship killer, but only when the enemy allows her to be.

• Cool 1

[RED2]
Members
1,232 posts
8,263 battles

So here's what I've found playing mine.

An for all the complaining from BBs, the overall effectiveness of is determined not only by the its own captains skill but by the skill of the battleships on its team. Unless your friendly BBs can make their game count after you assassinated the enemy, your better of just playing another destroyer.

Of course when there are few or no BBs this thing will make you wish you just used a Kagero.

Members
1,823 posts
9,743 battles

Hey

That's ok that Asashio has limits to what it can do once BB's are dead, since it was from the start to be a one trick pony.  Like it or not, the function of this ship always was going to be a BB/carrier killer.  Late game push is within reach of it's ability; not much different than any other late game DD, just that it's torps are rendered not usable.  It wouldn't wouldn't be much different if we had only a limited number of torps on board in real life.

Pete

Members
604 posts
7,662 battles

It might be too early to tell, but since the update, i've seen CV in almost every single game, and each team have no more than 4 BBs.

This might give Asashio a hard start imo.

I am considering buying this ship...but with the recent MM. I might just hold off for a while and see how it goes.

just a thought here so don't take it too seriously.

wouldn't it be awesome if WG give her the ability to switch torp type during the match (just like how we switch between AP and HE) ?

20km deep water torp   <-->  10km normal torp

i guess that is too nice to have huh ?

[CUTER]
Members
2,456 posts
11,320 battles

She's a specialized tool, seemingly marketed to the IJN DD players who never adjusted to the new play style.  This is WG saying we can let you have that back but you need to pay us.  The fact this boat gets smoke and TRB after it being declared to strong for Shiratsuyu makes me angry. 

A specialized tool is not something I look for in DDs, particularly ones I am going to fork cash over for.  If she had a general purpose torp that had reasonable numbers I would buy her in a heart beat as I love the Kagero class DDs.  Not having torps that can hit DDs, and not having radar to safely break a contested cap forces you to find the offending ship, which is far more risky. 

Frankly I'm not spending nearly 50 bucks on a ship that depends on MMing to provide food for me.  If a meta shift occurs WG takes ages to adjust things like this.

Members
484 posts
2,928 battles

I have faced an Asashio nearly every game in my T8 BBs, sometimes even 2 if them, I have gotten hit by Asashio torps exactly 0 times thus far. I didn’t think it would be OP, just bad for the game, too overspecialized and gives both teams problems, underspotting and passive BBs, for the green and red teams respectively. 

Edited by GabeTheDespot
Oops

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
7,892 battles

Ultimately, I think it's a P-O-S.  From multiple angles:

Yeah, it's horrible what the kind of super-long-range DWT spam does to BBs.  I'm not sympathetic to BB players in general, but it's ludicrously stupid the range on these torps - I've seen a fair number of BBs get thwapped by an Assashio halfway across the map, when no reasonable player would expect to see torps coming from that direction.  Not camping BBs, either, but the ones playing the objective and doing a good job, only to get nuked by some torps thrown at someone completely different half the map away.  Meandering near-invisible torps don't encourage anything other than player frustration.

That's just stupid.

And, of course, the other side of the coin:  The asashio is pretty much competely useless for anything other than anti-BB work. It stinks for capping, far worse than the typical IJN DD, who at least have more guns with better DPM in a hull that isn't huge and which turns like a truck, and normal torps to threaten opponents with.  Horrid maneuverability, which means I've seen Kageros and Ataksukis gun an Asashio down in a fair fight (where both were quite healthy to start).  Of course, don't even think about it having any chance against any other DD, let alone a cruiser.

An Asashio on your team is actually a significant liability, because it can't perform virtually ANY of the normal DD roles, until the entire opponent's DD force is eliminated, and even there, it's much less utility than you'd think for a surviving DD.

It's a one-trick pony, and the one trick it does in no way improves the game at all. 

If the rumors are correct and it's being turned into a T8 Shiratsuyu, then maybe it's salvageable. But the DWT absolutely must go. 

Edited by EAnybody

Members
1,823 posts
9,743 battles

Hey

I ate my first Asashio torps tonight; they were impossible to dodge; it may have been easier my team pushed in more and potentially spotted them, but it's all good.  At least I can say I went down leading from the front, rather than camping from behind.  Surprisingly, the game was a loss.  lol

Pete

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Will speak to the team about your concerns and overall thoughts on the ship