You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
zucchinibob

Help with Over-Aggressiveness

17 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Members
419 posts
3,474 battles

I want to get better at Randoms, but my main issues (I feel) are being too aggressive in battle and having tunnel vision. I had these issues in WoT, as well.

I'm just not sure how to get better with these.

In Co-Op, at least, these are less of an issue, as the bots are equally aggressive (This is why I prefer Co-Op).

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,006 posts

Then wear yourself out in Co-Op, then jump into a Random when the Caffeine has worn off.

Had this problem in DDs myself.  My first task was always try to cap and spot for my team..   That rarely works out well.

New strategy is to let them try to cap, then wait for my cruisers to get close enough to support before jumping in and spotting the enemy DD.  That way, I'm not contesting the cap against the whole team - by myself..

• Cool 2

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Yup, i had the problem.

I think what helped me was watching the Tubers play. 

Ultimately, I just have to make myself calm down.

If you concentrate on situational/map awareness, it helps a lot.

Edited by Wulfgarn

Members
4,318 posts

I play BBs, but when I find myself being too aggressive (usually at the beginning of the game) I force myself to only go half speed until contact is made.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

Try this:

Choose one of your teamates, preferably one that is not steaming away to hide, and try keeping station with them. Don't get in their way, don't endanger them. When they start shooting at a red, you target the same red.

If you're a destroyer, then provide smoke. If a cruiser, then provide AA.

If your consort objects to your presence, tell them you are sorry and pick a different consort.

You may end up still being aggressive but at least you'll have acted like a real ship.

• Cool 5

[HINON]
Members
419 posts
3,474 battles

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll try these now.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,709 battles

Well thought out Question with some really good suggestions. Glad I stopped on this thread. I hope I can successfully implement them in my games. Thanks!!!!:Smile_great:

• Cool 1

Members
9 posts
2,662 battles

The Title caught my attention...I think Im in the same boat.  I find myself trying to follow the general role of the ship im playing but for some reason i always find myself being the only one actually doing  that.   I get super frustrated when i get dead say 2-3  min in or sooner,  and those ships left on my team all have full hp, the other team has dbl the points and no one on my team is even near a cap or engaging.  I defiantly dont wanna fall into that routine just to stay alive longer...im super competitive, as the coach of my Sun Devils Herm Edwards says ..."you play the game to win" . 

I guess im kinda have venting and half wondering how i should proceed.  I will try some of the suggestions above but any other ideas to help keep my sanity while developing my skills? 

Thanks

AcesOver

Members
4,318 posts

I'm mostly a BB main and I find when I'm dying early its usually because I'm charging into battle full throttle.  I have to force myself to go half throttle for at least the first minute, or first contact with the enemy.  Then I throttle up, charge in and re-ignite the push.

[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,249 battles

I don't like to bow tank in BB's.  Therefore, I typically follow a circular attack pattern that keeps my ship in motion...

1) Pick a cap to support and approach it on a line that angles my armor to, and puts my guns on the same side, that enemy ships are most likely to appear.  Lastly, that line also has to leave me room to make a turn, if necessary, that allows me to circle out while continuing to fire.

2) I try to get off a clean first salvo before being spotted (unless you are in Fuso, then you are always spotted!) within a decently accurate range - not necessarily at max range.

3) Use WASD hacks to wiggle and vary speed, while continuing on my line of approach, to draw attention away from teammates and get off a few more salvos while trading fire and tanking damage.

4) If I can continue to trade effectively, I will continue on my line, but typically not all the way into the cap (especially if dd's are lurking).  Call out the main target that you are working on to get support.

5) If I get focused, I time a turn out in between enemy BB salvos (to minimize taking citadel damage) BEFORE reaching cap.  Continue to focus fire on, and call out (F3), the lowest health enemy ship (dd's and cruisers preferred).

6) Break off until the Priority Target counter falls below 2 or 3, while switching sides on guns to continue firing.  Stop firing if you are so damaged that you need to drop detection and heal.

7) Pick a new line of approach - the same cap, a flank, or a different cap - where you can exploit a weakening in the enemy line.

8) Circle back in to push, test resistance, and focus fire again (you can go all the way into a cap or push a flank once there is a break in the enemy line and a reduction in the number of ships focus firing you).

9) Rinse and repeat.

I think the best part of this pattern is that it allows to you adapt and respond to the strength of the enemy in a given area (instead of just yoloing straight in and hoping for support).  Circling in and out (while varying speed) also keeps the angle of your armor changing and makes you a tougher target to hit reliably.  Timing of turning out is the key, though, so you don't give your broadside to a nearby BB with loaded main batteries.

tl;dr - Push in, open fire/tank/WASD, circle out - repeat until enemy line can be broken.

Edited by delp5117

Members
9 posts
2,662 battles

So I started to shadow ships and tried to stay headed in the same direction...As Im firing both the ships i was with were gone.  and the hid behind and island not offering any assistance while i took fire from a cpl enemy ships.  Whats the deal with being more concerned about defending "A" than anything else.  I know im super new and dont fully grasp everything but im sure you wont win just defending home base.  

My next concern is this pink for damaging allies.  if they are not paying attention and ram me, why do i get penalized?  and who can I be responsible for the actions of other players who are not paying attention and either do a complete 180 back into the direction i just let my torps go or they chase a ship i have been engaged in and cross into my shells.  Or this whole smoke and hide tactic and the enemy comes through their smoke and I fire but they were still there and followed the enemy our and got hit.  Im not scoring as high as id like so those precious xp are valuable.  

Im thinking im probably like most mid tier newbies...some [edited], same issues, same cry baby [edited].  im probably just hitting that "wall" and need to grind through it. I take everything I have been given and the info you all have shared and have at least tried to put it to use right away.  with that being said any advice or AT A BOys is greatly appreciated. 

AcesOver

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

If they are your ordinance and they hit a green it is your fault.
Assume the guy in front of you will turn into your torps. He's not looking at you he's looking at the reds and turning to evade. It's called WASD.

Don't fire torps unless you are the lead element and you will be fine.

Supertester
32 posts
4,746 battles

I'm a DD main and though I do launch torps from max range sometimes, it's usually only for area denial or to force a turn that will benefit my team. Ambush torps are king, if you can master that skill "play low tier US DD's" then you will be able to really be a thorn in the enemy's side. I can't tell you how many people forget that the Khab has torps or how many people I've sunk with them. lol

[TOG]
Members
3,419 posts
17,862 battles
On 4/27/2018 at 12:33 PM, zucchinibob said:

I want to get better at Randoms, but my main issues (I feel) are being too aggressive in battle and having tunnel vision. I had these issues in WoT, as well.

I'm just not sure how to get better with these.

In Co-Op, at least, these are less of an issue, as the bots are equally aggressive (This is why I prefer Co-Op).

You pointed out 2 main problems:

1. Tunnel Vision

2. Lack of situational awareness

A Couple of questions:

1. Do you use aslain mod pack?

2. Do you use the mini map? Do you have it enlarged enough so you can keep 1 eye on it?

3. What are your mini map settings?

Let me know the answers and we can advance this talk some more.

[OGF]
Members
142 posts
12,293 battles

I have always had exactly the same problems...hence my 46% win rate.  Although, I consider the win rate the least important stat...*digress off*.

I don't know that I'll ever overcome over aggressiveness...I'm there to fight.  In a DD I try to go wide and scout/spot/torp rather than rush in to cap early.

For tunnel vision I set the timer on my phone for 2 min and force myself to look around and reassess the situation every time it goes off.  I've tried other intervals, but 2 min seems to work for me.  And as others have said, make the minimap big with the water transparency set as low as will show the islands so I can aim through the minimap.  Spend a lot of time with the right mouse button depressed.

And Aslain's mods....tremendous benefit.  They allow you to customize your screen to put important info where you want it, in a format that compliments how your particular brain processes info.  Can't sell Aslain's mods hard enough.

Good luck!

[PSFL]
Members
27 posts
2,029 battles
On 9/25/2018 at 7:58 PM, Bill_Halsey said:

You pointed out 2 main problems:

1. Tunnel Vision

2. Lack of situational awareness

A Couple of questions:

1. Do you use aslain mod pack?

2. Do you use the mini map? Do you have it enlarged enough so you can keep 1 eye on it?

3. What are your mini map settings?

Let me know the answers and we can advance this talk some more.

WOW I just tried to install the Aslain Mod and it came with at least 4 spyware programs and 4 more 'optional' programs.  Be very careful with this one.

[PSFL]
Members
27 posts
2,029 battles

Ok update on the Mod install.  When you go to the web site for install you will see a Download Link & Direct option.  Choose the Direct Option - the link option takes you to a spyware site and the D/L from here is full of crap stuff.

Here is a D/L to the direct link:  http://eu.blackboxservers.net/Aslains_WoWs_Modpack_Installer_v.7.9.1_05.exe

Now the hard p[art is knowing what Mod(s) to install, there must be over 200 options in here.

Edited by stenrick
Update.