You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
OlTanker

Advice needed

11 comments in this topic

[FYYFF]
Members
30 posts
2,467 battles

I have my captain going for a level 4 perk. He is in the New York but I have researched the New Mexico and plan to move him there. Pretty disappointed in dispersion on the NY and hoping the NM is better. My question is which level 4 perk should I use for him, the concealment or something else? I have few ships as I don't spend money on this game so limited harbor space. Currently working German and US cruisers tier 5 through 7. Both lines have tier 8 researched as well. Just grinding captains higher.

Sorry about the confusion on names too many ships with new in the name..... old timers disease and all

Edited by OlTanker
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,205 posts
14,107 battles

Concealment.

[HINON]
Members
10,646 posts
1 hour ago, OlTanker said:

I have my captain going for a level 4 perk. He is in the New York but I have researched the New Orleans and plan to move him there. Pretty disappointed in dispersion on the NY and hoping the nawlins is better. My question is which level 4 perk should I use for him, the concealment or something else? I have few ships as I don't spend money on this game so limited harbor space. Currently working German and US cruisers tier 5 through 7. Both lines have tier 8 researched as well. Just grinding captains higher.

Do you mean the t6 bb new Mexico that you have researched as the new Orleans is in the cruiser line? Honestly either one would do well with ce for the first 4 point skill imo unless you really hate planes and want aft first.

Edited by RipNuN2

[FYYFF]
Members
30 posts
2,467 battles
21 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Do you mean the t6 bb new Mexico that you have researched as the new Orleans is in the cruiser line? Honestly either one wpuld so well with ce for the first 4 point skill imo unless you really hate planes and want aft first.

Yup yer right. Too many ships with "new" in the name, sigh. I be gettin old....

[SPTR]
Members
3,549 posts
6,399 battles
9 minutes ago, OlTanker said:

Normally Concealment should be your first tier 4 skill, but I think New Mexico is unique and deserves an exception. She has very thick armor, and only the deadliest tier 8 battleships can really land crippling strikes at long range where without concealment, you may be spotted. The most deadly threat comes from cruisers. Your enormous unarmored plates can be easily penetrated by the 6 inch IFHE cruisers in the current meta-you lit up like a Christmas tree.

Therefore I would recommend Fire prevention instead. Or even high alert+priority target.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,981 posts
2,728 battles

It depends on whether you want to take the captain up the line. The NC, IA, and MT basically require CE. So if he's going all the way to T10, then yeah, get CE. It's good on the NM too.

The dispersion on the NM is pretty bad, but with 12 guns you don't notice it as much. The NM is a great ship, you'll like it as long as you can get over the slow speed. The NY is IMO the worst ship in the line, so not surprising you don't like it.

Also, you mentioned that you don't spend money on the game. I'm going to warn you that retraining high skill captains without doubloons is a ridiculous amount of XP. I don't know what the cost to retrain a 15pt captain with credits and XP only is, but it's well over 100K XP. I think it's well worth the 500 doubloons to retrain a high level captain for a new ship.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,793 posts
4,982 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

It depends on whether you want to take the captain up the line. The NC, IA, and MT basically require CE. So if he's going all the way to T10, then yeah, get CE. It's good on the NM too.

The dispersion on the NM is pretty bad, but with 12 guns you don't notice it as much. The NM is a great ship, you'll like it as long as you can get over the slow speed. The NY is IMO the worst ship in the line, so not surprising you don't like it.

Also, you mentioned that you don't spend money on the game. I'm going to warn you that retraining high skill captains without doubloons is a ridiculous amount of XP. I don't know what the cost to retrain a 15pt captain with credits and XP only is, but it's well over 100K XP. I think it's well worth the 500 doubloons to retrain a high level captain for a new ship.

Respectfully, I disagree.  If you're not a big spender on this game, retrain your captains with credits (to cut your mark by 50%) and flags.  Doubloons, should you elect to use them, are best spent demounting upgrade modules, because from the third slot on they get really expensive in credits.  Though I do admit, even at a 50% cut retraining as your captains get towards moving from a T7 to a T8 ship, can still be pretty long.

Which is why a premium ship is also a good investment.  At least you can use your captain skills at full strength while you plow through.

I'm only writing this to give OP a contrasting view point - I am NOT asserting AJTP89's take on the issue is wrong.  He just looks at it differently than I do.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,157 posts
17,538 battles
3 hours ago, OlTanker said:

I have my captain going for a level 4 perk. He is in the New York but I have researched the New Mexico and plan to move him there. Pretty disappointed in dispersion on the NY and hoping the NM is better. My question is which level 4 perk should I use for him, the concealment or something else? I have few ships as I don't spend money on this game so limited harbor space. Currently working German and US cruisers tier 5 through 7. Both lines have tier 8 researched as well. Just grinding captains higher.

Sorry about the confusion on names too many ships with new in the name..... old timers disease and all

Concealment Expert is the number 1 priority for most ships as the first Tier 4 trait.  BBs are no exception, believe it or not.  Stack CE with camo that buffs your concealment range, you got yourself a Stealth Build.  Keep it.  USN BBs tend to have very respectable concealment, only RN BBs can be stealthier.  Stealth Build North Carolina in Tier VIII goes down to 11.8km detection range, Iowa around 12km.  Good detection range means you can sneak around a bit more easily and avoid taking needless hits and damage just from sailing to / from the fight.  If you got poor concealment in a BB, it is annoying a.f. taking random shots before you even get to the fighting area you wanted to be in.  This is especially true in High Tier VIII-X matches.  You don't have a Stealth Build BB then some catapult plane, some CV plane, some DD is spotting you easily, and then 2, 3, 4, 5+ guys from around the map are all shooting at you.  This becomes very true for Tier VIII-X, mark my words.

New Mexico will have better dispersion but not by much.  I feel she is still unreliable, but it's not like New York levels of bad.

[FYYFF]
Members
30 posts
2,467 battles

Thanks very much folks, concealment it is. After that Should I grind to another lvl 4 perk like advanced firing training? My Capt. perks at this time are: Lvl1 Preventive maintenance and Expert loader. Lvl 2 Expert marksman. Lvl 3 Basic firing Training. Lvl 4 concealment.

Been picking up some tips from the wiki and from shipcomrade but having a bit of trouble sorting through the info on comrade and I am concerned that wiki may be a few updates behind.

Members
1,631 posts
3,603 battles
10 hours ago, OlTanker said:

Thanks very much folks, concealment it is. After that Should I grind to another lvl 4 perk like advanced firing training? My Capt. perks at this time are: Lvl1 Preventive maintenance and Expert loader. Lvl 2 Expert marksman. Lvl 3 Basic firing Training. Lvl 4 concealment.

I would cut that expert loader ship out, I have never found it worth anything, I just fire AP then switch

For tier 1 Priority Target is good if you plan on full concealment build, Direction Center is good for a poor man's hydro.  Adrenaline Rush is a great Tier 2 skill, High Alert/Jack of All Trades is good for a last bit of skill points. Basics of Survivability and Superintendent are very worth while. For tier 4 AFT is good if you hate planes and want to give enemy ships a good fireworks show, Manual AA if you really hate planes, Manual Secondarys if you plan to brawl allot (their damage sucks but they do start a alarming amount of fires).