You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review: Duca degli Abruzzi

184 comments in this topic

[SQUAD]
Members
2,136 posts
12,507 battles
2 hours ago, LoveBote said:

amazing how well this bote is doing, considering the terrible reviews.

...and why I made a video and a few posts... while I am not promoting people buying it, I am saying that the reviews are not justified from my experience, but as I say in there somewhere... captaining a ship is a skill developed over time, and even then it is easy to make a bad decision and get blown up, or be overly aggressive ( who me?) and blow up, or just have a bad day, as I think most of avg players do... and I'm am Joe Avg in play...

[SQUAD]
Members
2,136 posts
12,507 battles
3 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Seems like people are doing reasonably well in this boat.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/3763255024,Duca-degli-Abruzzi/

It would be interesting to dig a bit deeper and see what kind of overall win rate the captains that sailed her into battle had... IOW as a new ship, did she get mostly experienced captains at the helm?  Does being new give a ship an advantage in win rates ? Vs a ship that has been out for 3 years?    ....just a thought.....

Members
1,289 posts
2,399 battles

I got it and even though it has been coop only so far I like it better than the duca. It has a better stealth window, range, and its guns are stronger as well than the duca.

[SRPH]
Members
92 posts
1,608 battles

I have both D’Aosta and Abruzzi. Got a bunch of doubloons and wanted a T7 cruiser for Operations. I’m a stone noob, originally joining in 2016 and departing because I didn’t enjoy random battles. Wargaming enticed me back in October with a free Ishizuchi and I discovered a lot of free XP in my account. Discovered Italian cruisers soon after this, after trying the Russian cruiser line and working up to Kirov. Til then I’d been running battleships. 

Won a day of premium time and a bunch of flags in co-op missions by completing directives. Decided to try the Italian line with the goal of leapfrogging Tier 4 and using free XP to unlock Montecuccoli, which is the first Condottieri cruiser in the line...I like the look of them and they came off to me a lot like the Russian ships only with smaller guns. And after a rainy and cold day of play in the Italian line, I really liked Montecuccoli. They’re light cruisers so they’re fragile but they’re flexible, seem to have decent concealment for tier, and it just seemed to fit my style of play in co-op, especially when I discovered its spotter plane. I bought Abruzzi first because I have no other T7+ ships and needed a T7 for the current scenario mission. I liked it so much I bought D’Aosta with my leftover doubloons and the coupon, for the T6 missions when they rotate in. I’ve had epic co-op games in both. I’ve also had epic failures, but I had epic failures in the Soviet T5 Kirov too. I read the reviews on Abruzzi and D’Aosta before buying and knew what I potentially was getting into. I have the battleship Viribus Unitis and enjoy it in co-op games too, and that ship also has a bad rep...but I like her style and play her like a slow armored cruiser. 

The Italian cruisers sure seem to get a lot of hate. LWM speaks of Abruzzi being citadeled by battleships, and she is right about that. But I’ve been one-shot killed in Kirov too, and no 11,000 ton light cruiser ought to be trying to go mano é mano with a battlecruiser or battleship. Fast battleships especially were designed to *kill* cruisers. Light cruisers are destroyer hunters and scouts. And both Abruzzi and D’Aosta can take another light cruiser in their weight class, but they’re happiest dancing around at their max range spamming HE at enemies locked onto something bigger on their team, adding firepower to their teammates. D’Aosta‘s AA booster helps with the one carrier that pops up in her matches, and Abruzzi’s self heal and quick 152mm reload time makes a huge difference in her survivability. I don’t find the 15km range that bad, and with the spotter up it’ll hurl 152mm HE out to battleship range. Their velocity is good, in my view, and my three Condottieris own my best hit percentages. I wish they had semi-AP rather than HE, but I’ve had some luck starting fires even though my  Abruzzi only has a 9% chance of starting one. And I’m running a Captain with three points on D’Aosta and seven on Abruzzi, cos I’m a noob and am still learning how to spend XP efficiently. Abruzzi‘s skipper is by far my most experienced captain. He started at T1 in the Italian line and I see him as this dashing guy who wears his hat cocked at a come hither angle, drinks martinis, wears tailored uniforms, and wows all the ladies with his Italian cool and stories of his derring-do, and he’s taken some crazy chances and had some wild battles to back all that up. 

Bottom line is I think these ships get a bad rap. Just my opinion. Notser’s video on Abruzzi was helpful, and this review also was helpful. But I like the road less traveled, so here I am. 

Members
6 posts
1,340 battles

I purchased this ship about 5 days ago. And I must say, I’m struggling.

Struggling to play it? No. Struggling to find out why people hate it so much.

I have so far played 19 random battles in this ship. I have sank 3 times out of the 19, and in return have sunk 14 ships.

To be absolutely fair, I have a captain with 13 skill points. Even before I traded the captain, though, I was doing solidly with a captain that had 5 skill points.

The concealment of the ship, together with its maneuverability and decent turret traverse speed make it pretty competitive. I rarely have a BB citadel me, because positioning Abruzzi to avoid citadels isn’t hard.

In conclusion, in my personal opinion,

Gudbote.

Members
646 posts
4,069 battles
On 4/27/2018 at 8:08 AM, LittleWhiteMouse said:
  • Enormous, vulnerable citadel sitting high over the water's surface.  She eats citadels from battleships for days.

mONourM.gifl3m5pgM.png

• I actually have some live footage of Abruzzi gobbling up a bowl full of citadel hits.
    jsHaDVE.gif4D3AVnd.png

• Seriously, just when you think she couldn't possibly pack in another citadel hit, she goes and surprises you.

t8dfP5i.gifymfxnaP.png

So, just like Myoko.