Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

11 comments in this topic

[1CBT]
Members
5 posts
1,655 battles

Something really needs to be done with the balance of play. Torpedoes in this time frame sometimes would not detonate. They always do and never fail to run true in the game. The DD's seem to pop smoke sit in the smoke and fire at the BB with torpedoes and guns. All the while I cannot see where they are to return fire. It seems if they can see me, I can see them. If my guess is correct, the photo of my USS New Mexico seems to be equipped with radar.

With the rudder configured they way they are, these ships should not be able to backup and turn as well as they do. The turning rate seems to be the same going forward and backward.

How about scenarios without CV's? Yes, I back complaining about the torpedoes.

Perhaps a Jutland Battle. No islands to hide behind.  

1134px-Map_of_the_Battle_of_Jutland,_1916_svg.png

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

OP! You are going to love the new premium ship that will hit the store in a few hours! Play your BB again.

PS: ever heard of the ocean map?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,846 posts
10,398 battles

Arcade game not naval simulator.

[AXANR]
Members
3,385 posts
17,728 battles

The game is balanced so that people who enjoy playing all types of ships can win and have a reasonable chance of doing well. The game is not balanced for BB players to be able to sail around singing 'nahnahnah none of you can hurt me' while deleting everyone else off the map. 

Also, why is it that BB players always cite 'but history' when trying to get cruisers and DDs nerfed, but then turn around and say 'oh, well, when I said I wanted it to be historically accurate, I didn't mean CVs.' The reason BBs became less important in World War 2 was because carrier aviation dominated the naval battlefield. A carrier task force could wipe the floor with a battleship task force every damn day and twice on Sundays. You can't, without being a hypocrite, whine about historical accuracy when it benefits you but then insist on ignoring historical accuracy when it doesn't benefit you. 

Also, as pointed out above, THIS IS AN ARCADE GAME NOT A NAVAL SIMULATION. 

Go sit down. 

• Cool 2

Members
1,886 posts
5,856 battles

Welcome you have a lot to learn about this game. Don't get fooled thinking it a naval simulator that boat has long sailed away. Just trying to save you some :cap_cool: 

[O_O]
Members
803 posts
5,272 battles

Hi @Little_Shelby, welcome to the forums.

As a few other folks have posted before me, the group of developers behind World of Warships has made a very conscious decision to develop a game that is heavily influenced by historic naval architecture, events, tactics and technologies.  It is, at its heart though, just a game and not in any way intended to be a simulator.  

There are a number of reasons for the way things are different.

Players get to select ship types and aren't assigned them based on experience or capability.  Command normally required between ten and twenty years of experience to attain, and at that point those individuals were in the top 5-10% of all officers in any naval force.  In this game, you can be commanding a Tier III battleship after eight or ten matches.  You can also be commanding a Tier III destroyer or a Tier III cruiser, each of whom deserve to have equal influence on the outcome of the match. 

All munitions (even torpedoes) are unlimited, radar is both more limited and more capable than it ever was, weapons are nearly perfectly accurate and sonar still manages to detect torpedoes and surface combatants when it's mounted to a hull travelling at >30 knots through the water.  Smoke completely obscures ships within it, remains in an area for a specific duration that varies by nation rather than weather conditions and aircraft are both limited to an area about 60km around a carrier, but can fly within that area for hours and hours on end (as long as that's not more than 20 real minutes.)  Somehow those same aircraft just lose a little visibility in the middle of a typhoon, and yet can still fly at full speed, let alone at all.  Torpedoes only run straight and have no gyro settings, but they never fail to detonate unless your target is within the pre-arming distance (the inner non-green area of the green torpedo arc.)

These "hard" differences influence several "soft" differences as well.  For instance:  weapon accuracy is wildly better, but armor schemes are mostly accurate or mildly tweaked.  That makes "Crossing the T" nigh unto ineffective, and at worst (mainly with American and Japanese battleships and most cruisers) a very quick method of returning to port with nothing to gain from the experience save a severely bruised ego.  Turning broadside-on to bring all of your guns to bear is a terrible tactic in this game, but was used fairly regularly in actual combat.  Since you mentioned New Mexico, you'll have a much better time playing her when you angle enemy fire 15-20º off your bow and work in close where your 14" guns can do real work real fast.  They are not the bombardment platforms they were in the actual War, do not sit back at their "maximum range" and snipe at the enemy.  You will have misused a powerful asset and made it ineffective.

On top of all that, there are the special event ships.  You'll see ships from bygone Halloween events spewing green fog around themselves.  There'll be neon-colored Kongo and Myoko sisters who launch torpedoes that erupt into clouds of electrical whatzit from an old collaboration in 2016.  At top-tier you've got space ships to beware of, but it will probably take some time before you see those.  There's another event starting (possibly) next month which will add more changes to otherwise-familiar ships.  Nearly all of this can be turned off in your Settings menu.  It seems like you'd probably appreciate doing so.

In any case, I've gone on long enough.  Welcome again to the forums, and the game in general.  I hope you have more fun with it the longer you stick around.

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr
Losing loosely.

Members
321 posts
2,719 battles

Devs have always been pretty biased towards destroyers from some reason, even in the beginning of the game destroyers were the dominant ship in almost every match and they continued to get buffed, they even got their citadels removed in what I could only describe as the worst decision the dev team has made to date.

Edited by manon45

Members
8 posts
11 hours ago, poeticmotion said:

The game is balanced so that people who enjoy playing all types of ships can win and have a reasonable chance of doing well. The game is not balanced for BB players to be able to sail around singing 'nahnahnah none of you can hurt me' while deleting everyone else off the map. 

Also, why is it that BB players always cite 'but history' when trying to get cruisers and DDs nerfed, but then turn around and say 'oh, well, when I said I wanted it to be historically accurate, I didn't mean CVs.' The reason BBs became less important in World War 2 was because carrier aviation dominated the naval battlefield. A carrier task force could wipe the floor with a battleship task force every damn day and twice on Sundays. You can't, without being a hypocrite, whine about historical accuracy when it benefits you but then insist on ignoring historical accuracy when it doesn't benefit you. 

Also, as pointed out above, THIS IS AN ARCADE GAME NOT A NAVAL SIMULATION. 

Go sit down. 

Whats the use of playing a battleship if all ur going to do is dodge torpes and put out fires. Balanced game? [edited].

[1CBT]
Members
5 posts
1,655 battles

Bogo3964. I agree with you. Trying to dodge torpedoes and not burn to death is what the game seems to be about. It could be so much more.

Poeticmotion Everyone knows that CV's have displaced BB's as king of the seas. Once in a while it would be fun not to have them in a battle. It happened today and I had fun. Yes I died, but still had a great time. What is the point in playing in a DD when you are so much more powerful then you should be. Making it impossible for opponents to see you behind smoke while you fire with weapons better than anything at that time, doesn't make the game fun.

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

Sign in to follow this