Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Torp damage in BBs with the Sims and the Mahan

7 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
397 posts
5,320 battles

I'm wondering if other players are having trouble with torp damage to BBs they face when playing the Sims and/or the Mahan.  I can unload a full salvo of torps at them at close range and they will not die.  I can hurt them badly, but then they kill me.

Here's my typical strategy, mid game, after the threat of red dds has been diminished or eliminated: 

1) Get behind an island when I see a BB pushing at just beyond my detection range and line up for a torp strike on the side she's moving to

2) When's she's about ready to poke her nose around the island (4 km or so), accelerate to full speed, pop out from the island, and turn to expose the torp arcs (I don't pop smoke at this point - I've tried that and I lose sight of the BB and have to guess where she is)

3) Fire all torps, turn away, pop smoke, and hit speed boost.

I've had 6 torp hits go into the hide of these tough BB ships and they refuse to give me my devstrike.  What's worse is that they have enough health to delete me...I don't seem to be able to get away fast enough, even with the smoke and the speed boost.  I'm not complaining about the amount of damage that I contribute to the team, it is significant.  It would be nice to survive one of these encounters, however.

I know that the strategy described above comes straight out of the Clemson playbook.  Just wondering if I should think about the torps on these dds as something different than ambush weapons?  I do use them as area denial tools (9.2 km can discourage many a ships from pushing forward), but I don't hit much at the longer ranges.

Is there a better way to attack a BB with these ships that doesn't involve getting this close?

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,746 posts
15,946 battles
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

I can unload a full salvo of torps at them at close range and they will not die.  I can hurt them badly, but then they kill me.

Sims has 9.2 K garbage torps with very small warheads doing less damage than her peers. Her 5.5 K ones are better than the 9.2 K ones for warhead strength, but that 5.5 range will kill you just as quick. Its the balance price you pay for incredible maneuverability.

Mahan's are better in that they have decent warheads at least, but they also have bargain basement speed. You will have to go at least 1 tier higher on the USN DD line before you get some really good torps.

Members
305 posts
4,727 battles

Oh no, a strategy explain how to infuriate BB drivers (like myself) into turning to limit damage and running head on into the smoke and ramming said DD.

Supertester
194 posts
22,163 battles

You can only ambush low health battleships with the weak torpedoes of Sims / Mahan. If you want to kill a battleship, do it from stealth with staggered torpedo launches. Launch one set and wait about 20 seconds. Then launch the second set, taking into account the battleship maneuvering (probably turning in) to avoid the first set. Hopefully you get a flooding on both sets and the second one sticks.

[SYN]
Members
15,331 posts
12,175 battles

Check the amount of damage your torps do versus the amount of torpedo damage reduction those BBs have.

Sims and Mahan get to see a lot of BBs with excellent torpedo reduction bulges, so those will live.

[IXM]
Members
216 posts
5,034 battles

Yes, torpedoes are the weakest part of Sims, and only slightly less weaker on the Mahan. For the most part I just do not rely on them to deal damage, more of a last resort of if you get a chance to surprise a ship at very close range (like from behind the island). Also torpedo damage isn't stellar (just barely better than that of Clemson's, and if you're using the Sims's 9.2km "water mines" it'll be even worse).

Here's another trick from my own cookbook that I use with USN DDs and some other ships. Say you have a BB or another juicy target creeping about behind the island, well within the "dodge this!" range and is about to pop out from behind the island. Instead of coming out forward, creep out from behind the island in reverse, let your fishies loose and then skedaddle forwards behind and around the island. If done right, the target will not even see you coming.

[R-R-R]
Members
1,024 posts
7,941 battles

This is definitely not, at least, the orthodox way to play these ships.

As a Mahan or Sims, you are first and foremost cap contesters. You want to create chances to knife fight and kill DDs with lesser gun power than you. In battles against stronger DDs, you focus on support teammate. Provide spotting, smoke cover and sneak caps when you can.

If you want to win games consistently, you need to get away from the habit of ambushing BBs as you do in T2-4.

Sign in to follow this