Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MrBATTLEBRAWL

Charged With AFK For Client Failing to Load Battle

32 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
23 posts
4,432 battles

Title basically says it. I have an issue periodically with my client where it will sometimes fail to boot me into a match, and, even with restarts and logging back into the client, I am still unable to get into the battle.

I understand that I was AFK that battle, but it wasn't by my own choice. I hope the system can be improved to determine an intentional afk than with a disconnect than not connecting to the match at all. 

  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,820
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,762 posts
10,986 battles

Yep, that is the way it works. Unless you are constantly not loading in the pink status is meaningless. Blame the people that would bail as soon at they saw the make up of the teams and didn't like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

If you are AFK for any reason you should get a warning.  As long as it's not often, it won't matter.  If you keep having connection issues you are a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
4 minutes ago, galspanic said:

If you are AFK for any reason you should get a warning.  As long as it's not often, it won't matter.  If you keep having connection issues you are a problem.

If you blame people's connection issues on them you are a problem. 

Edited by Aristotle83
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
22 minutes ago, MrBATTLEBRAWL said:

Title basically says it. I have an issue periodically with my client where it will sometimes fail to boot me into a match, and, even with restarts and logging back into the client, I am still unable to get into the battle.

I understand that I was AFK that battle, but it wasn't by my own choice. I hope the system can be improved to determine an intentional afk than with a disconnect than not connecting to the match at all. 

I can't emphasize enough how sorry I am this happened to you. I have remained fine so far but I can emphasize. I hope eventually they'll change this policy, but until then we got to soldier through:(

Edited by Aristotle83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,560
[HINON]
Supertester
20,714 posts
14,138 battles
9 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

If you blame people's connection issues on them you are a problem. 

I tried to enter the indy 500 with my cousin's Yugo. They didn't let me. Obviously they're wrong, because material shouldn't matter, only individual skill does, right?

If you try to play an online game on an unreliable connection you are a liability.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

I tried to enter the indy 500 with my cousin's Yugo. They didn't let me. Obviously they're wrong, because material shouldn't matter, only individual skill does, right?

If you try to play an online game on an unreliable connection you are a liability.

The Indy 500 is a professional sporting event. This is a game where the main purpose is having a good time, even over success. If they wanted to apply this exclusively to competitive modes like ranked and clan battles your example would make a bit more sense(and people would be less mad) but even there, it is still a game. 

You shouldn't be pinking people off of individual skill either because again this isn't a professional sport, you are entitled to try and fail. Doing so means you aren't as good but policy that stops people from participating should be subject to the most heightened scrutiny cause I can't think of any good that policy can do that outweighs the bad of people not being able to play without really stretching. Of course, the people effected by AFK complained a whole lot louder than the people effected by bad internet and/or hardware and that's really what this is about.   

Edited by Aristotle83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
23 posts
4,432 battles

To clarify, I have google fiber and live in the United States, so my connection definitely isn't an issue. I think the problem is sometimes I play podcasts or music in backgrounds to relax after my 10 hour shifts.

The issue is with the client itself. I have no idea why, but it just spontaneously happens. I've tried reinstalling and everything. 

I hope a moderator responds, I just want to make sure that, forget me, that the system can properly identify an intentional vs client issue afk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,560
[HINON]
Supertester
20,714 posts
14,138 battles
7 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

The Indy 500 is a professional sporting event. This is a game where the main purpose is having a good time, even over success. If they wanted to apply this exclusively to competitive modes like ranked and clan battles your example would make a bit more sense(and people would be less mad) but even there, it is still a game.

That is a very fair point. However, if you regularly randomly walk off during your friendly camping trip badminton game, people are still going to be upset and not want to play with you. So why force them to?

8 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

You shouldn't be pinking people off of individual skill either because again this isn't a professional sport, you are entitled to try and fail. Doing so means you aren't as good but policy that stops people from participating should be subject to the most heightened scrutiny cause I can't think of any good that policy can do that outweighs the bad of people not being able to play without really stretching. Of course, the people effected by AFK complained a whole lot louder than the people effected by bad internet and/or hardware and that's really what this is about.   

V2EDQqB.jpg

Please tell me where I am 'pinking people off' of individual skill. Are we such SJWs that even the mention of the word 'skill' makes me some sort of hateful elitist? I mean, I am a hateful elitists, just not where skill is concerned. Yes, you are entitled to try and fail, because this is a game. But being on an unstable connection means that somewhere, something is randomly preventing you from trying, to the detriment of your team's experience.

If you know you have an unstable, unreliable connection, don't play online games where other people rely on you. I'd feel horrible if my connection caused me to not load in several times per day, I wouldn't play if that happened. And frankly, the idea of "Screw everyone else on my team, I'm entitled to play even with my [edited] connection" seems frankly offensively selfish to me.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
23 posts
4,432 battles

I rebooted my client, and you can see the battle is continuing, but I'm in loading screen purgatory. Note the destroyed ships, and that my dot still isn't lit. image.thumb.png.87b440a588e2ef9f52006eadefeb0544.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,560
[HINON]
Supertester
20,714 posts
14,138 battles
11 minutes ago, MrBATTLEBRAWL said:

To clarify, I have google fiber and live in the United States, so my connection definitely isn't an issue.

Your connection to the internet isn't. But there's more to your connection to the server than just your pipe out of your house. Depending on location several to dozens of hops through invidually owned and operated pieces of network, internet servers, etc. Though, still, you have a quality pipe outwards, so you've eliminated one variable. You can see how many hops and through which servers your packet goes with a traceroute, but you'll have to ask someone wiser than me how.

11 minutes ago, MrBATTLEBRAWL said:

I think the problem is sometimes I play podcasts or music in backgrounds to relax after my 10 hour shifts.

I don't think that's the problem. My connection (wifi in the house, cable out of the house and across the seabed from Europe to the US) is rock stable no matter what music or podcasts I listen to.

11 minutes ago, MrBATTLEBRAWL said:

The issue is with the client itself. I have no idea why, but it just spontaneously happens. I've tried reinstalling and everything.

Is it only this game? If so, then it might be the client.

Your screenshot shows you're not completed loading in. I've seen two variants of this bug: one where the client fails to load in, like here, and one where the client completes loading in but remains stuck on the loading screen, never transitioning to the battle screen. In those cases you can 'spectate' the battle on the loading screen map page and team composition screens.

11 minutes ago, MrBATTLEBRAWL said:

I hope a moderator responds, I just want to make sure that, forget me, that the system can properly identify an intentional vs client issue afk.

A moderator won't help with that, friend. You need tech support for that, and WG tech support isn't known for being able to help in these cases.

Do you run mods? When you reinstalled, did you reinstall over the old client or was it a clean reinstall? Is your DirectX up to date? Your drivers? Is your system clean of viruses and / or malware? Does the problem persist when you don't listen to music or podcasts? Is someone else using the same connection at the same time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
34 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

If you blame people's connection issues on them you are a problem. 

Huh?  It's not the connection issue I blame people for.  It's the persistence to play while you don't have a machine or connection capable of playing the game.  If you keep trying to log in at a hotel with a 10 year old lap top and it crashes.... you sure as hell better get penalized because you are automatically a liability to any team that's unlucky enough to get you.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
23 posts
4,432 battles

My connection (wifi in the house, cable out of the house and across the seabed from Europe to the US) is rock stable no matter what music or podcasts I listen to.

 

I say this might be the problem because I've sometimes alt tabbed in the queue for matchmaking to change my playlist or pick a new video to listen to, and when I come back the screen will be stuck. I play in windowed fullscreen so I can alt tab and read or something else while I'm waiting for matchmaking. 

 

Your screenshot shows you're not completed loading in. I've seen two variants of this bug: one where the client fails to load in, like here, and one where the client completes loading in but remains stuck on the loading screen, never transitioning to the battle screen. In those cases you can 'spectate' the battle on the loading screen map page and team composition screens.

 

Not familiar with the formatting, apologies if this isn't how I should do this. It would be the latter. Sometimes I can hear sound, sometimes not. I can watch the overhead view but am basically helpless. Like I said, it is a rare occurence (once every 50 games or so) but enough to make a noticeable recurring problem. 

 

 

Do you run mods? When you reinstalled, did you reinstall over the old client or was it a clean reinstall? Is your DirectX up to date? Your drivers? Is your system clean of viruses and / or malware?

 
No. Clean install and everything. I've checked my drivers and have a very good anti-virus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

That is a very fair point. However, if you regularly randomly walk off during your friendly camping trip badminton game, people are still going to be upset and not want to play with you. So why force them to?

V2EDQqB.jpg

Please tell me where I am 'pinking people off' of individual skill. Are we such SJWs that even the mention of the word 'skill' makes me some sort of hateful elitist? I mean, I am a hateful elitists, just not where skill is concerned. Yes, you are entitled to try and fail, because this is a game. But being on an unstable connection means that somewhere, something is randomly preventing you from trying, to the detriment of your team's experience.

If you know you have an unstable, unreliable connection, don't play online games where other people rely on you. I'd feel horrible if my connection caused me to not load in several times per day, I wouldn't play if that happened. And frankly, the idea of "Screw everyone else on my team, I'm entitled to play even with my [edited] connection" seems frankly offensively selfish to me.

Well MM forces people to do a lot of things they don't want to do. Wasn't one of the main arguments supporting this policy that it was going to prevent people from leaving situations MM put them into they didn't like? So do we want people to be able to choose the people they play with or do we not? 

I was referencing how you said  "because material shouldn't matter, only individual skill does, right?" I took that to mean that skill should be a factor in you being allowed to participate. I am not an SJW and I am a lover of meritocracy that being said, this isn't politics, or a professional organization, this is a game. Meritocracy in this game should be limited to one's stats and achievements, shouldn't bar you from participating(in the real world this isn't always the case). 

Bad connection is not an outlier though, the people with consistently reliable connection might even be the minority(not sure about that but I wouldn't be suprised at all). And  "Screw everyone else on my team, I'm entitled to play even with my [edited] connection" is framed to sound offensive but at the end of the day, participation needs to be given far more weight than in game success because someone being not allowed to play is a far greater inconvenience than a player being AFK when you can play. People with bad connections are the victims they are not the perpetrators, do you think it is fun for them to try and play and/or  start a few minutes late, lag out, have their game disconnect etc and then scramble to get back in if they can at all? It's not like they going "he, he, he let's mess up someone's game today!", no they want to have fun just like you do! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
5 minutes ago, galspanic said:

Huh?  It's not the connection issue I blame people for.  It's the persistence to play while you don't have a machine or connection capable of playing the game.  If you keep trying to log in at a hotel with a 10 year old lap top and it crashes.... you sure as hell better get penalized because you are automatically a liability to any team that's unlucky enough to get you.

Something tells me the "a hotel with a 10 year old lap top" is not the typical situation we are dealing with here(I was trying to get a friend to play a few weeks back and his five year old Mac couldn't even run the game at all and it was in otherwise great shape, just obsolete, am doubtful someone with a laptop that old would even be in this sort of situation though I'm not informed on that by any means). Most places in the US have horrible internet(that they are overpaying for), and most people do not have the money for advanced computers and if they do it is a financial hardship that is unreasonable to ask for the privilege of playing with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,560
[HINON]
Supertester
20,714 posts
14,138 battles
1 minute ago, Aristotle83 said:

Well MM forces people to do a lot of things they don't want to do. Wasn't one of the main arguments supporting this policy that it was going to prevent people from leaving situations MM put them into they didn't like? So do we want people to be able to choose the people they play with or do we not?

That's the main reason for this, yes. However, if AFK only counted if you loaded in properly and just didn't play, or actively exited out of battle (IE, no warning for loss of internet connection) what's to stop people from just pulling the plug from their internet and go make a sandwich, if they didn't like the MM they were given?

3 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

I was referencing how you said  "because material shouldn't matter, only individual skill does, right?" I took that to mean that skill should be a factor in you being allowed to participate. I am not an SJW and I am a lover of meritocracy that being said, this isn't politics, or a professional organization, this is a game. Meritocracy in this game should be limited to one's stats and achievements, shouldn't bar you from participating(in the real world this isn't always the case).

Was not meant as such. Actually, quite the opposite. I can see now how you would read it as such though, but that's hindsight. I'm certainly no stat elitist. I'm an effort elitist. I don't care if someone has deep red stats, as long as they make an honest effort. It's people that don't actually try regardless of skill level that annoy me.

5 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

People with bad connections are the victims they are not the perpetrators

Please point out where I claimed or insinuated that they weren't victims.

6 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

do you think it is fun for them to try and play and/or  start a few minutes late, lag out, have their game disconnect etc and then scramble to get back in if they can at all?

Not at all. Which is why it surprises me that someone who knows he has a very crappy connection will keep trying. Sounds very frustrating to me.

Mind you, this is about people with spotty connections all the time, to everything online. OP isn't one of those. There is a point where a sometimes spotty connection preventing a load in is very forgivable (OP is here), and a point where an always unreliable connection isn't.

Back to part of the issue though, OP didn't think he deserved a warning for AFK. Personally? Meh, it's just a warning. It doesn't prevent him from playing, isn't a punishment. And, like I said, if dropped connections were exempt from warnings, what's to stop griefers from disconnecting their internet the moment they don't like MM. I've seen it done in other games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,365
[WOLF9]
Members
1,499 posts
1 hour ago, Lert said:

I tried to enter the indy 500 with my cousin's Yugo. They didn't let me. Obviously they're wrong, because material shouldn't matter, only individual skill does, right?

If you try to play an online game on an unreliable connection you are a liability.

Then tell WG not to let people with equipment that doesn't measure up to your expectations, oh no wait, they will laugh hysterically at the idea of telling people not to use their product, never mind.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,292
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,737 posts
15,946 battles
2 hours ago, galspanic said:

If you are AFK for any reason you should get a warning.

This has been a free public service announcement from your friendly neighborhood AFK Nazi.

This entire debate about AFKs and punishment is about the silliest and most self-centered thing I've seen in a game filled with selfish individuals focused on themselves. If your enjoyment of a game honestly depends on one player either being in or out of one single game, you need to take a serious look at what you're using to empower your self and why your sense of happiness and well being are dependent on outside influences.

 Have a wonderful day!

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

That's the main reason for this, yes. However, if AFK only counted if you loaded in properly and just didn't play, or actively exited out of battle (IE, no warning for loss of internet connection) what's to stop people from just pulling the plug from their internet and go make a sandwich, if they didn't like the MM they were given?

Was not meant as such. Actually, quite the opposite. I can see now how you would read it as such though, but that's hindsight. I'm certainly no stat elitist. I'm an effort elitist. I don't care if someone has deep red stats, as long as they make an honest effort. It's people that don't actually try regardless of skill level that annoy me.

Please point out where I claimed or insinuated that they weren't victims.

Not at all. Which is why it surprises me that someone who knows he has a very crappy connection will keep trying. Sounds very frustrating to me.

Mind you, this is about people with spotty connections all the time, to everything online. OP isn't one of those. There is a point where a sometimes spotty connection preventing a load in is very forgivable (OP is here), and a point where an always unreliable connection isn't.

Back to part of the issue though, OP didn't think he deserved a warning for AFK. Personally? Meh, it's just a warning. It doesn't prevent him from playing, isn't a punishment. And, like I said, if dropped connections were exempt from warnings, what's to stop griefers from disconnecting their internet the moment they don't like MM. I've seen it done in other games.

I brought this up because you were talking about liability's. Well by that logic what's wrong with people not wanting certain MM, aren't people playing certain bad ships bound to be a liability? What's so different between a player having a bad internet connection/hardware and say having a Myogi or New Orleans? Both are a person's choice that puts the team at a disadvantage. I don't players should be able to inherently opt out of either and should let random MM do it's thing, sometimes you'll like it othertimes you won't. Also on average every time you get hurt by an AFK player you're just as likely to be helped by one on the other team. Pretty sure people aren't complaining when one's on the other team.

I misunderstood your intent. My bad. That being said wasn't even arguing against stat elitism,(falsely) thought you were inferring that performance was a reason to not let people play.  

Well if you can NEVER load the game your right of course, but that isn't the issue here, it's people who can play but periodically have connection issues. Here's OP's quote.

"Title basically says it. I have an issue periodically with my client where it will sometimes fail to boot me into a match, and, even with restarts and logging back into the client, I am still unable to get into the battle."

If your system isn't capable of playing the game your system isn't capable and I doubt you'd care enough to be upset by this anyway because you wouldn't be able to play. Pretty sure people who have trouble playing the game at a sustained enough rate for it to be fun are those who care. 

In terms of the warning thing, A several warnings add up to certain degrees of banning as WG described in their recent press release. People keep insisting that these bans will only effect people for technical reasons if they are very common, but they have no evidence to suggest this is the case, they are just being hopeful(not saying they are wrong either), WG's PR gave no specific details on that whatsoever. B, some people don't like warnings and don't take them as well as you. For me, when someone gives me a warning or something it really gets to me and bothers me and I know I'm not alone and I actually know there's people who take things like this, far far worse. C, you get the stigma of being pink. 

Edited by Aristotle83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
1 hour ago, MrBATTLEBRAWL said:

To clarify, I have google fiber and live in the United States, so my connection definitely isn't an issue. I think the problem is sometimes I play podcasts or music in backgrounds to relax after my 10 hour shifts.

The issue is with the client itself. I have no idea why, but it just spontaneously happens. I've tried reinstalling and everything. 

I hope a moderator responds, I just want to make sure that, forget me, that the system can properly identify an intentional vs client issue afk.

A big fix that has worked really well for me is setting your game to minimum specs which you can do in game settings pretty easy. Doesn't really look all that different and lag is pretty rare and though I still suffer the occasional crash, I'd say it's considerably better. Don't know your situation and if this will help or not, or if you've done this already but even a mild improvement matters with a system like this where said amount of incidents in a certain period of times is the triggering mechanism. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
23 posts
4,432 battles
4 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

A big fix that has worked really well for me is setting your game to minimum specs which you can do in game settings pretty easy. Doesn't really look all that different and lag is pretty rare and though I still suffer the occasional crash, I'd say it's considerably better. Don't know your situation and if this will help or not, or if you've done this already but even a mild improvement matters with a system like this where said amount of incidents in a certain period of times is the triggering mechanism. 

I'm on a full spec gaming PC. I can run games like GTA 5 and Rainbow Six: Siege on the Highest settings and crank out 60 FPS (4-5 Year old Graphics Card, but still very strong than what other people play on for this game)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
23 posts
4,432 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Meh, it's just a warning. It doesn't prevent him from playing, isn't a punishment. And, like I said, if dropped connections were exempt from warnings, what's to stop griefers from disconnecting their internet the moment they don't like MM. I've seen it done in other games.

The issue is that this can add up into a cumulative ban that I can't do much to avoid. I know I'm not the only one who may have this issue. I had the issue occur twice, and as you can infer from the images I posted earlier, I was already penalized for the same issue in a match earlier today. It frustrated me I may get a game punishment for something I didn't have any power to prevent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
1 hour ago, Aristotle83 said:

Something tells me the "a hotel with a 10 year old lap top" is not the typical situation we are dealing with here(I was trying to get a friend to play a few weeks back and his five year old Mac couldn't even run the game at all and it was in otherwise great shape, just obsolete, am doubtful someone with a laptop that old would even be in this sort of situation though I'm not informed on that by any means). Most places in the US have horrible internet(that they are overpaying for), and most people do not have the money for advanced computers and if they do it is a financial hardship that is unreasonable to ask for the privilege of playing with you. 

I play on a 7 year old Mac without any issues once I turned the graphics down quite a bit, but that's not really the point is it?  The point is that if you start a game knowing that you will probably be Afk then you should be discouraged to log in.  Sounds harsh?  It's really not.  It's a clear reminder that you should have a capable machine before doing the task - as is the case in all activities in life.  Playing with me is not a privilege, but when I do hit "BATTLE" I fully expect to be on a team that's got as many ships as the other team.  Imagine in MatchMaker said "in 1/12 games you will be on a team of 14 ship with an enemy team consisting of 15."  People would lose their minds... yet this is exactly what happens.  Being forced to play some warm up games allows you get your tech issues resolved.  I see no problem with that at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×