You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheNargacuga

Alright, I can confirm the AFK system is hyper sensitive.

17 comments in this topic

Members
376 posts
5 battles

I tend to watch my friend play warships ALOT more than actually play it (if that wasn't obvious) and last night we had a total ISP meltdown causing half of my city to lose internet. TOday he got onto his account and discovered that he was pink for being AFK and leaving a game early. So much for wargaming putting in measures to make sure the innocent don't get dinged. 

• Boring 2

[NOOBS]
Members
14 posts
881 battles

so 1 afk and he goes pink, or  your not sure?  In a court of law the lawyer would say OBJECTION Hear say evidence,  and the Judge would say SUSTAINED!

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,758 posts
15,957 battles
2 hours ago, TheNargacuga said:

I tend to watch my friend play warships ALOT more than actually play it (if that wasn't obvious) and last night we had a total ISP meltdown causing half of my city to lose internet. TOday he got onto his account and discovered that he was pink for being AFK and leaving a game early. So much for wargaming putting in measures to make sure the innocent don't get dinged. 

And you wonder why so many players were against this from the very beginning ...

1 hour ago, _A_A_A_ said:

In a court of law the lawyer would say OBJECTION Hear say evidence,  and the Judge would say SUSTAINED!

And yet, in the Forum, they say "REPLAY OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!" Do ya SEE any Judges?

1 hour ago, landedkiller said:

Wow did they not think about the people with slow connections when implementing this.

No, they did not; instead they thought about shutting up a very vocal minority.

• Cool 2

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

ROFLMAO 

I have been watching all the Bad Posts about the AFK is unfair /touchy/exasperating.

They Masses Demanded "Something needs to be done"

Now that it has been done I can't stop ROFLMAO

[XBRTC]
Members
2,744 posts
8,761 battles
15 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

ROFLMAO 

I have been watching all the Bad Posts about the AFK is unfair /touchy/exasperating.

The automated system seems to be working fine to me... I had a crash tonight that didn't let me back in the game until after I was dead. Battle results screen said I was pink for being inactive in the battle... and then as soon as I went back to port, I got an automated notification that the penalty was lifted for following the rules. 

Seems to me that the game can tell what's going on and whether you did something or not.

[ARP2]
Supertester
468 posts
4,293 battles

Can confirm lol. Went pink because our power cut for three hours.

Eh whatever.

It just means the lineup will be alot more colourful from now on.  :Smile-_tongue:

[INTEL]
Members
10,038 posts
28,200 battles

I just got pink too. Game refused to load when I went into battle, so I was "AFK". Was pink when it was done.

Great job WG. Now lots of players who might otherwise get into a game but fear the stability of their computers will now .... go play another game. Brilliant.

And as a special bonus, we won't know the TKers from the AFKers. Lovely design, that. 

Edited by Taichunger

[_-_]
Members
2,035 posts

There seems to be a lot of room for improvement in how the new system reacts to client-side tech issues.

I thought there was some "tolerance" built in for isolated or infrequent disconnects. A power outage surely meets that criteria.

I'm generally supportive of sanctioning players with chronic, habitually bad connection instability, because it is both a drain on a team and also a tool for people who just reboot out of a match they don't like.

Remember, we did agree to a EULA that stipulates decent connectivity. From the EULA we agreed to (emphasis mine):

"5. Technical Requirements

By using the Software you agree that you have the necessary hardware, software and capability (including a suitable connection to the Internet) required for the use of the Game. "

However, the new system definitely needs some tweaking. A one-off power outage or network glitch should not be punished in the same way as a habitual offender. When WG rolled this out that was their stated intent, but it doesn't seem to be working out that way.

Edited by TF77
Typographical Errors
  • Cool 1

[TAFFY]
Members
76 posts
5,028 battles

I got disconnected and I went pink, and then I went orange for second disconnection. I think that was a pointless punishment as I concerned. Hopefully, this new effective punishment system may be temporary and short-lived, and it will be tweaked or rolled back in the next patch.

Edited by Rulue

[VIP-2]
Members
814 posts
2,919 battles

There IS a "protection system" with the crashes. When the crash monitor is running and detects a wows crash.

How exactly are they suppossed to determine a power failure, there is no way to verify that...you could just be pulling the plug on the computer.

Nor can they have an automated system for internet failure/isp reset. Because from the client side you could mimic this by pulling the cat 5 cable out of your pc, or switch off the wifi.

The automated protections will only work when the game crashes, when you losse connection from a degrading horrible ping rate,  and perhaps in some situations when your computer crashes.

All that being said... they also said there would be some forgiveness as well...

If it helps, I can personally attest that the system will turn you pink when you are right behind a friendly bot who is parked for 20-30secs and as soon as you launch torps, it will start engine and steer directly into them.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,752 posts
4 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

ROFLMAO 

The problem was it wasn't the masses, it was a handful of very loud posters that never shut up about it.

And now we get this heavy handed solution to a non-issue, and the real abuse and poor sportsmanship rolls merrily on.   Not to mention actual game problems.

So, yes, people are annoyed...

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,683 posts
12,344 battles

If the people having issues with games crashes are getting pink status, then screen shot the error message, if there is one, or if there is a load game hang up, send in a ticket to WG, with enough of this going around wit the number of tickets received, they are more likely to do something about it quicker, but it is on you to go and send in a ticket if you are crashing/afk

The more it is brought to their attention the quicker the fix, it's no different to the number of threads complaining about afk  people, they decided to do something the community wanted.

[CAST]
Members
1,622 posts
8,122 battles

The afk penalty should only be invoked if you are afk after the 2nd time in 5 games, or so.  That way a single bad connection incident or loading issue won't flag you.  But if you continue to play and your internet or computer can't keep up, then you risk pink status.