Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
landedkiller

New currencies in WOWS

26 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,712 posts
3,833 battles

Watch until 4 min 21 sec and then come back. The new currencies are designed to upgrade the cargo ship in port and allow access to rare ships like Flint and Stalingrad. What are your thoughts on newly limited currencies in world of warships?Mine is simple I have seen this destroy any semblance of fun in a game called Battle Pirates(avoid horrible flash title) introduce something similar called reputation and then it changed to uranium the basic premise was to allow access to additional ship upgrades and research at a high price which put other players at a disadvantage.Not to mention that opportunities for getting this resource were fierce and led to the break up of several alliances which are the essentially the same as clans here. I am not saying that world of warships is going to go that route, but I throw it in as a note of caution for what not to with limited currencies. what are your thoughts on this?

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,046 posts
8,425 battles
1 minute ago, landedkiller said:

@Lert any thoughts on this? @LittleWhiteMouse kinda surorisedat the lack of talk on this.

It's still just a vague concept at this point without any firm details.  I could speculate until the cows came home but I don't think the devs have the details ironed out yet.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,441 posts
20,369 battles

It is an interesting idea, I tend to like it but will understand that some players will be dead set against "selling" reward ships. I suppose since coal and steel will be rewards for high tier PvP gameplay it may encourage that and give extra incentive to those who already play there. Personally it will change nothing for me, not going to bother with it because it just isn't any fun (IMHO). For me WoWS is a game and I play to enjoy myself. I could care less what neato prizes they hand out for upper tier play, it isn't worth it because then the game seems more like work. I do suspect we will know the game is dying when they start selling the new resources for money in a last ditch effort to raise revenue so it will be a nice bellwether. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF6]
Members
767 posts
4,879 battles

I guess it’s like orders and other different currencies in world of tanks.   I haven’t played tanks in a while, but some of the new currencies in tanks buff your crews or something else I don’t know.

[BYOB]
Members, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
747 posts
1,976 battles
4 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I could speculate until the cows came home but I don't think the devs have the details ironed out yet.

But wild, fantastical speculation is soooooo much fun!!!

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,407 battles
35 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

Watch until 4 min 21 sec and then come back. The new currencies are designed to upgrade the cargo ship in port and allow access to rare ships like Flint and Stalingrad. What are your thoughts on newly limited currencies in world of warships?Mine is simple I have seen this destroy any semblance of fun in a game called Battle Pirates(avoid horrible flash title) introduce something similar called reputation and then it changed to uranium the basic premise was to allow access to additional ship upgrades and research at a high price which put other players at a disadvantage.Not to mention that opportunities for getting this resource were fierce and led to the break up of several alliances which are the essentially the same as clans here. I am not saying that world of warships is going to go that route, but I throw it in as a note of caution for what not to with limited currencies. what are your thoughts on this?

I say wait until more details come out. Speculation and conjecture could cause issues in the future. Look at the CV rework, from what on CC at the summit said it sounds like how CVs are done in Battlestations: Pacific. But in there Waterline video Wargaming discribes it differently. Let's wait for more details before jumping to conclusions. 

[KNMSU]
Members
5,624 posts
5,780 battles

Hard to get too concerned over an idea that is as nebulous and far-flung as the carrier rework is. It's a bit like speculating on who will winn the Superbowl the year after next.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,714 posts
14,138 battles
36 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

@Lert any thoughts on this?

Yes.

"Meh."

Wild speculation is 1) 99% sure to be wrong and 2) a waste of time and energy. I'm gonna wait until more details are known.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,407 battles
11 minutes ago, Lert said:

a waste of time and energy.

Yes, and Lert needs that energy for this;

9da883ff17057f7726a0fd2b74e66798.jpg

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
1,712 posts
3,833 battles
32 minutes ago, Lert said:

Yes.

"Meh."

Wild speculation is 1) 99% sure to be wrong and 2) a waste of time and energy. I'm gonna wait until more details are known.

Well I'll put out an update on this I guess if I see anything on devblog. I would give you an up vote but I hit my reaction limit for the day. No idea who downvoted, but thanks for your time.

Beta Testers
1,712 posts
3,833 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

It's still just a vague concept at this point without any firm details.  I could speculate until the cows came home but I don't think the devs have the details ironed out yet.

Maybe Pigeon of War might know something. As I said to Lert thank you for coming in this thread maybe something will pop up in the devblog. 

Beta Testers
1,712 posts
3,833 battles
1 hour ago, Das_Schlippo said:

But wild, fantastical speculation is soooooo much fun!!!

I agree with you I thought maybe we had a good idea on how this might pan out my thought is Coal will be linked with random battles at tiers 8-10 as those are typically the higher tiers In Wargaming's mind. Steel has been confirmed in the video to be in Clan Wars and Ranked battles in the future. I think coal will soley be used to upgrade the cargo ship and at some point steel as well at the higher levels.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,759 posts
7,031 battles

It would be a shame to see these developments be Tier X only; at least down to Tier VIII would be nice, and possibly even lower.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,508 posts
6,161 battles

I’ll be interested in seeeing what they come up with.  If they reward high tier play, and not just clan battles, this could inspire me to play more high tier games.

If it’s a reward only for clan battles and it allows advantages that carry over to randoms, I might have a problem with it.

[POP]
Members
1,543 posts
17,372 battles
On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:38 AM, landedkiller said:

Hi

Ok well like most people have written its to early to speculate on whats going to happen however from what I have heard from these 2 DEVs I do have some views on there early ideas.

New currency:

So there going to bring in a some new currencies  " WHY " I thought oil was suppose to be the new currency that was going to be the used by players, we only just got this new currency just over year ago I think and they want to bring more not only that we have your regular currency and FREE XP and doubloons,  we have enough currency in game now we don't want system over load or am I missing something :Smile_amazed:

Rare ships:

On the face of it sounds great until your one of those players who put there heart soul into Rank and clan battles to win these ships, as much as I think Stalingrad is a OP monstrosity that should not be in game, fairs fair these players earned the right to have these rare ships and to have someone just grind away like some mindless zombie so he can earn enough to buy these prize ships.

I know I would be pi$$ed if I won this kind of ship and then 6 months down the track the live server is littered with prize ships like mine being played by players who are not skilled enough to sail but can grind 24/7  in random and earn it through just doing the basics.

What if they put the Arkansas Beta up for grabs in this new plan or the Nicolai or the Kamikaze R, the whole point of these rare ship are for players that win special events.

People complain enough on the forum about how it is so easy for unskilled players to purchase high tier ships in the premium shop and now they seem to want sell rare prize ships in game now as well. :Smile_ohmy:

High tier shop:

OK so our cargo ship will become a high tier shop as well not a bad idea on the face of it but something tells me there is more to this because there talking about this for high tier gamers.

Lets at the basics we can buy premium ships in game that are in the tech trees of various nations nice, these ships remain there for sometime but do get rotated so if you miss them you may have to wait a while to get another chance all fine.

We have premium shop that sell various things from flags to doubloons to ships and other things.

For the sales of ships they have several that available long periods but also get rotated and you then have your new releases that are in shop for a short time makes people snap them up before there gone and you have to wait for a later date to try to get them.

Not only that we have special premium ships that you buy that available through the use of your FREE XP, not only that we have premium ships that can either be bought or obtained through events ( DOY, Graf Spee  etc. etc.  ).    

So now they now want a add another avenue of purchasing which involves you grinding away until you become possible a mindless zombie while dangling rare trinkets that you really should not be getting because didn't put in the hard yards at various competitions, not only that people's desire for these rare ships may actually have people free XPing  past a number of tiers and into the high tier ships which they should not be really doing as there are not skilled enough to play them just so as they can grind themselves in system overload, have a look at the forums these days people post in our there getting burnt out and need a rest just doing all the events and rank etc. and now they want to throw more fuel onto the flames.

But I digress its just my view of what I have heard on a video from the DEVs of a new project in its early days with no real concrete information, nothing to worry really.

One last thing that strikes me about this new future system for high tier players not trying to be a alarmist but this could be used as a prelude for a back door approach to dare I say it Premium shells just food for thought.

regards

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 1

Members
2,865 posts
5,907 battles

Speculation sometimes cannot be stopped - its part of the human experience. Now HOW speculative you are and in what degree it goes no one will really know...but a educated guess is always interesting to ponder on.

But overall..its my impression that WOW is reading the forums and boards to get some idea of whats going on. Now I myself think that a professional done survey will glean out more info especially ingame but thats me.

As always... I think overall we are going in the right direction. 

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,954 posts

WoT added warbonds for completing missions.  They aren't something you can casually farm to get in quantity.  You really need to work to earn them.  As I don't play clan wars and only about 3-5% do I think it's great that WG will give the rest of us a shot at some of the rewards.  Same goes for ranked battles (aside from the percentage of players doing ranked being much higher of course).

Not everyone has played ranked since day 1 so this will allow folks another venue to get access to the ranked ships.  

[NGAGE]
Members
1,392 posts
7,927 battles
On 4/28/2018 at 7:44 AM, StoptheViolins said:

WoT added warbonds for completing missions.  They aren't something you can casually farm to get in quantity.  You really need to work to earn them.  As I don't play clan wars and only about 3-5% do I think it's great that WG will give the rest of us a shot at some of the rewards.  Same goes for ranked battles (aside from the percentage of players doing ranked being much higher of course).

Not everyone has played ranked since day 1 so this will allow folks another venue to get access to the ranked ships.  

I rarely play ranked, and when I have played the game mode I haven't ever really taken it seriously. I definitely haven't ever played enough of it to stand a chance of ranking out. Seventyish-eightyish battles (off the top of my head so don't quote me) is about the most I've ever put into a season.

Why should I ever deserve a ranked reward ship?

I don't think I do.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,759 posts
7,031 battles
18 hours ago, Spartias said:

Why should I ever deserve a ranked reward ship?

I don't think I do.

I can see your point and to a certain extent I concur. However, given that the game allows one to obtain a free Tier 6 premium destroyer by completing an admittedly somewhat arduous (for some people) series of achievements, I don't see why it shouldn't offer the lure of a more potent ship by a significantly (and hopefully proportionally) more arduous series of achievements. So long as the cumulative effort required is on a par with ranking out the specified number of times, I wouldn't see an issue with that.

[NGAGE]
Members
1,392 posts
7,927 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I can see your point and to a certain extent I concur. However, given that the game allows one to obtain a free Tier 6 premium destroyer by completing an admittedly somewhat arduous (for some people) series of achievements, I don't see why it shouldn't offer the lure of a more potent ship by a significantly (and hopefully proportionally) more arduous series of achievements. So long as the cumulative effort required is on a par with ranking out the specified number of times, I wouldn't see an issue with that.

There’s no way to make it truly an equal cumulative effort. Realistically it’ll either be too hard or too easy. Either way you’re going to have angry players. The Kronstadt(sp) is basically a Stalingrad, make that a free xp ship and call it good. There’s no reason to cause division and strife where there is none, to do so is a bad business model. If the missions out there now are arduous for a player... then they definitely don’t deserve a ranked or clan battle reward ship.

I wasn’t a beta tester.

Do I deserve an Arkansas Beta?

No... no I do not.

[SEOP]
Members
1,521 posts
8,233 battles

super cargo ships.  Can't wait for my first super-duper container with 50 detonation flags inside!    

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,271 battles

Gold ammo. Imagine, gold AA, gold torpedoes, gold HE, gold AP, gold Bombs, gold AP bombs, gold air-dropped bombs

[ARGSY]
Members
10,759 posts
7,031 battles
16 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

super cargo ships.  Can't wait for my first super-duper container with 50 detonation flags inside!    

While we're on the topic of cargo ships and detonations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion 

Sign in to follow this