Sign in to follow this  
Mono_De_Mantequilla

Sunset on Orion--What a difference a day makes!

12 comments in this topic

Members
487 posts
6,095 battles

On Tuesday night I took Orion into a battle one last time before the nerf in Patch 0.7.4.  What a glorious battle it was!  Over 105k damage, three kills...  I took on two Wyomings at once and I felt like I was going to win, if not for the intervention of a third Wyoming and a Danae that charged me (I did sink one Wyoming and the Danae, to go with a Kuma from earlier).  I was hitting repeatedly, starting fires, all was good.  That was Tuesday.

Wednesday came with the patch, and the nerf of Orion's sigma from 1.8 to 1.6, so into a battle we go to test it out.  And now I cannot hit anything.  I got a total of ten hits in my first battle after the nerf.  That's it, ten!  I would have had an embarrassingly low damage total if not for the fact that I still started four fires, and for that foolish Phoenix who went broadside to me at 6k that I citadelled into oblivion.  Almost every salvo at a greater range was straddle-no hits.  Even on BBs.

Having now the worst sigma of any 10-gun battleship in the game, Orion will be a chore to play, if my first go with it is any indication.  I had kept Orion and several other Tier IV ships around that I had fun playing, but this change and the fact that Tier IV ships are no longer eligible for most of the monthly missions means Orion is likely headed for the scrapyard, to free up a port slot for something new.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,845 posts
10,381 battles

Excellent, now I fear nothing in my Myogi! 

:Smile_teethhappy:

[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,308 posts
12,579 battles
8 minutes ago, pikohan said:

Excellent, now I fear nothing in my Myogi! 

:Smile_teethhappy:

Fear the power of the dark side!  Behold, My Zucchini has now returned to galactic dominance!

The Orion was too much fun, and too OP to not get nerfed, tier 9 BB HE alpha with 1/4 pen was too good for tier 4.  When you add in the powerful AA it had at tier 4, it was just too strong compared to every other BB, even the Nikolai.  The Ischizuchi is a fast and hard hitting Battle Cruiser, it will be my goto ship for clubbing at that tier again.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
2 hours ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

On Tuesday night I took Orion into a battle one last time before the nerf in Patch 0.7.4.  What a glorious battle it was!  Over 105k damage, three kills...  I took on two Wyomings at once and I felt like I was going to win, if not for the intervention of a third Wyoming and a Danae that charged me (I did sink one Wyoming and the Danae, to go with a Kuma from earlier).  I was hitting repeatedly, starting fires, all was good.  That was Tuesday.

Wednesday came with the patch, and the nerf of Orion's sigma from 1.8 to 1.6, so into a battle we go to test it out.  And now I cannot hit anything.  I got a total of ten hits in my first battle after the nerf.  That's it, ten!  I would have had an embarrassingly low damage total if not for the fact that I still started four fires, and for that foolish Phoenix who went broadside to me at 6k that I citadelled into oblivion.  Almost every salvo at a greater range was straddle-no hits.  Even on BBs.

Having now the worst sigma of any 10-gun battleship in the game, Orion will be a chore to play, if my first go with it is any indication.  I had kept Orion and several other Tier IV ships around that I had fun playing, but this change and the fact that Tier IV ships are no longer eligible for most of the monthly missions means Orion is likely headed for the scrapyard, to free up a port slot for something new.

This is devastating. Orion was BY FAR, the best lower tiered tech tree BB in the game. It's the only lower tier ship I have that has been remained fun to play once I've reached the higher tiers. I mean if balance is ones goal the Orion was naturally going to be a target along with the KGV(has it been nerfed?), which is similarly OP in the higher tiers but I'm still really dissapointed. 

Edited by Aristotle83

[KSC]
Members
96 posts
12,219 battles
Spoiler

kQfGEIt.jpg

This was just now.  Still a very good boat guns are a little more derpy but not a problem.  Got the Kraken and the win.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,417 posts
14,831 battles
10 hours ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Wyoming has a 1.5 sigma so worse than Orion and you cans till have good salvos with it. Granted it is 12 v 10 but 1.6 isn't the end of the world at T4. Clearly at 1.8 Orion was too accurate. It got the same.2 nerf Konig saw when it was deemed too accurate.

Members
487 posts
6,095 battles
7 hours ago, WolfofWarship said:

Is there any recommendations you would make that you feel would better balance her? 

Well I will have to play her more to get a proper feeling for the changes.  I was shocked how bad it felt in my first game after the nerf, but maybe it was just me, and I need some more time to get used to it.  I understand the desire to reduce the power Orion had vs her contemporaries, as she was pretty good.  I am sure the development folks put a lot more thought into the exact parameters than I have yet, and exactly how much less accuracy she may have with 1.6 sigma vs 1.8 (or split the difference at 1.7?).  Thanks for checking though, if I get some thoughts after playing Orion some more I will post them.

• Cool 1

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,948 posts
10,009 battles

Eh, I generally prefer Kaiser anyway. Still, Orion was much more fun before the nerf- she's one of the few ships I've gotten more than five kills in a match with.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this