You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LupusMalum

How do you handle the Minotaur

9 comments in this topic

[HSSW]
[HSSW]
Members
301 posts
14,430 battles

I am nowhere near being a decent T10 CV player yet, and one of the biggest problems I am having is a Minotaur hiding near islands and deleting my planes before I know he is there. So I am asking for advice on how to deal with it. Its combination of stealth and AA has been a big problem for me. And yes the mino was in a division with the CV .

HAk.png

Edited by LupusMalum

[MIA-P]
Supertester
1,655 posts
5,659 battles

Minos aren't the best AA platforms out there; they do the most damage if you stay in mid/close range.  Longer range mino AA isn't that good.  

Mino doctrine is usually:

- Find an island

- Be in the middle of the map

- Smoke up and shoot.

TBH it's not that hard to anticipate where they'll be.  They need to be in the middle of the map because of their limited range.  They need to use smoke and islands to prevent visual/radar contact and to provide a hard barrier if needed to stop shells. 

If you see a puff of smoke with a stream of tracers coming out of it, well, don't go there.  If it's the start of the match and they haven't been detected, advance your planes cautiously and course correct if they're being attacked.  it won't be long before you ID the mino vs. any other ship as being the source of the AA.  If it's a mino, haul out of there and go around it, or double down and attack it.  It will force the mino to blow a smoke on your schedule, not theirs, which is often a big advantage.  

Spotting down that mino will make him run away or for cover.  either way, he's off his game right from the start.  You'll lose a few planes, but you'll shut him down and possibly get him shot by your team.  That's a good trade.

Minos are only strong if you leave them be. If you run them down they die quickly.  Source: I love my mino.

[MIA-P]
Supertester
1,655 posts
5,659 battles

If i might add more, get a mino, even if on the Public test server.  Play it a while and see how it works.  If you play a ship, you'll have a much better idea how to play against that ship.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,188 posts
15,384 battles

Sounds like you need professional help. But don't worry all you need to do is grab a gold coin and repeat after me. 

I Summon you Smaug of the Seven Seas, Inventor of the Time Extension, Keeper of the Treasured Vault, Earl of Salt, Chancellor of Your Replays, Rumored Evil Genius, Master of Narai, Sage of the Commentary and Collector of Damage. @Lord_Zath Come forth and assist this player in their time of need.

Of course you'll also need a replay of you playing the ship in question and a working email account. 

I'm not just plugging a service I'm a satisfied customer.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,272 posts
16,869 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

Sounds like you need professional help. But don't worry all you need to do is grab a gold coin and repeat after me. 

I Summon you Smaug of the Seven Seas, Inventor of the Time Extension, Keeper of the Treasured Vault, Earl of Salt, Chancellor of Your Replays, Rumored Evil Genius, Master of Narai, Sage of the Commentary and Collector of Damage. @Lord_Zath Come forth and assist this player in their time of need.

Of course you'll also need a replay of you playing the ship in question and a working email account. 

I'm not just plugging a service I'm a satisfied customer.

Summoned, I wave.

o/

[STW-M]
Members
3,093 posts
7,325 battles

The big weakness of the Minotaur, despite its vaunted AA, is its lack of defensive fire. The most common problem, however, is that its raw AA is still incredibly deadly.

As an Essex player, as long as I don't path my planes poorly and my team is still in the fight, nine times out of ten I come out on top.

The tenets when trying to attack an enemy Minotaur are:

1. Minimize AA exposure: make sure all bombers are taking a path that minimizes the Minotaur's time to shoot down your planes. Dive bombers should attack from the front or rear and torpedo bombers from the broadsides. Do not let your torpedo bombers fly in from the bow of the Minotaur: that is an easy way to unnecessarily lose planes
  2. Isolate the Minotaur: Minotaur already has strong AA. Do not aggravate your losses by attacking when there's a Fletcher or Montana supporting the Minotaur.
  3. Account for acceleration: Minotaur can accelerate really quickly, even from a standstill. Be aware when attacking a camping Minotaur.
  4. Have the element of surprise: an evading Minotaur is much harder to hit than one sitting still firing at a distant battleship. Know when to attack and when to switch targets.
  5. Be patient: Minotaur may be able to heal itself from nothing, but it can't replace its AA if HE spam has ruined them. Let your team soften it up before you attack.
  6. Drive it from its smoke: if you can force the Minotaur out of its smoke with torpedoes into the guns of your teammates, they'll take care of it for you.
  7. Finish the job: Minotaur can heal like it's nothing. Don't let it do so.
  8. Watch the shell tracers from smoke: apart from avoiding unnecessary plane losses, you can also see the angle that it's parked. Use this to align your torpedo and possibly dive bomber attacks.
  9. Use the island against them: an island may block shellfire, but it also blocks movement. Use the island to minimize the Minotaur's avenues of evading your attacks.
  10. Know when not to attack: most ships can't match Minotaur's AA. Attack them instead.

• Cool 1