Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
db4100

One of the Game Mechanics "I hate"

32 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
688 posts
10,483 battles

So I have a lock on a low HP battleship close to taking one of our caps.  The BB is behind a small island that I can shoot over to hit the enemy battleship, but then it goes "invisible" right before I shoot.  The result is....you guessed it....my shells slam into the island.  this is [edited]stupid.  I should be able to manually shoot over an island to hit a patch of ocean behind it.  This [edited] "mechanic" might have cost us the game.

shot-18_04_26_15_26_26-0928.thumb.jpg.96b63b388a84530a8c2c4017a6920336.jpgshot-18_04.26_15_29.35-0080.thumb.jpg.e5108177fd79ff41684afe3d4a4d7c2e.jpg

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,391 posts
19,675 battles

Yep; sigma going to heck because of no lock should be enough of a penalty; suddenly having an elevation system casualty just because los was lost is one of the several more questionable mechanics in the game...

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
20,579 posts
20,433 battles
5 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yep; sigma going to heck because of no lock should be enough of a penalty; suddenly having an elevation system casualty just because los was lost is one of the several more questionable mechanics in the game...

While I kind of agree, what can they really do?  You lost lock.  The guns are no longer tracking a target, so how do you maintain your aim on a specific patch of ocean?  Now, I suppose if they add that aim at the X on the minimap mod from the official mod pack into the client, perhaps you can "aim at the last known spot" or maybe even aim with some lead past the last known spot and maybe that will cause the guns to properly elevate.

I got the impression that they might ... might ... be adding that mod into the client, but it was more than a little vague, so I wouldn't hold your breath on it.  Arguably, one ought to be able to aim for a map location.  After all, how would guns conduct shore bombardment?  But this is still a game, so who really knows other than the devs.

[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
2,881 battles

You can still manually shoot over the island, but you need to know the exact range to the target, and then hold down the Alt key, and adjust elevation to that range. If you click just as the ship disappears, that's not going to happen. I think I will turn on the alt UI. FWIW I agree that the range changing just because the lock ends is completely preposterous. The range should stay what it was unless YOU change it. This is part of the reason I try to remember range while I'm aiming. But if the target is sailing in a different direction, it's difficult to guess the lead.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,391 posts
19,675 battles
13 minutes ago, Crucis said:

While I kind of agree, what can they really do?  You lost lock.  The guns are no longer tracking a target, so how do you maintain your aim on a specific patch of ocean?  Now, I suppose if they add that aim at the X on the minimap mod from the official mod pack into the client, perhaps you can "aim at the last known spot" or maybe even aim with some lead past the last known spot and maybe that will cause the guns to properly elevate.

No longer tracking; yes; no issue with that, since it generally means insane dispersion when you shoot without a lock; the sudden elevation loss is what seems to be the basis for most complaints related to this matter/game mechanic.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,579 posts
20,433 battles
14 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

No longer tracking; yes; no issue with that, since it generally means insane dispersion when you shoot without a lock; the sudden elevation loss is what seems to be the basis for most complaints related to this matter/game mechanic.

Yes, but I think that the problem is that without target lock how are you supposed to aim at a certain map location in the vanilla client, which is essentially what you want to do.  That's why I brought up the "aim at the X on the minimap" mod.  That would probably be the key to getting your guns to stay elevated even without target lock.  You'd have to aim using the minimap.  But if you aimed at where the BB disappeared, the guns would have to elevate to properly lob the shells over the island.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,800 posts
18,210 battles
5 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Wow a premium BB with no floatplanes of either type? Ew.

No torpedoes.

No Type 91 AP shells, either.

No great HE qualities.

No Mega Secondaries.

No Hydro.

No Radar.

No Defensive Fire.

No awesome armor / citadel protection.

NOTHING.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RUST]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,186 battles

You should make sure you have the terrain hit indicator turned on in the settings (lower left of the control settings panel). 

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,675 posts
15,222 battles
48 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yep. My sub-orbital Hotlanta shells suddenly shoot like lasers. So disappointing...

[WOLF5]
Members
1,330 posts
7,694 battles
1 hour ago, db4100 said:

So I have a lock on a low HP battleship close to taking one of our caps.  The BB is behind a small island that I can shoot over to hit the enemy battleship, but then it goes "invisible" right before I shoot.  The result is....you guessed it....my shells slam into the island.  this is [edited]stupid.  I should be able to manually shoot over an island to hit a patch of ocean behind it.  This [edited] "mechanic" might have cost us the game.

shot-18_04_26_15_26_26-0928.thumb.jpg.96b63b388a84530a8c2c4017a6920336.jpgshot-18_04.26_15_29.35-0080.thumb.jpg.e5108177fd79ff41684afe3d4a4d7c2e.jpg

Well since radio waves can pass through islands, I think it is time for Shells and Torps to as well.

[LWA]
Members
688 posts
10,483 battles
47 minutes ago, zarth12 said:

Well since radio waves can pass through islands, I think it is time for Shells and Torps to as well.

I am not asking for my shells to pass through the terrain.  You obviously don't get what is going on here.  If my target was visible and locked on, my shells would have automatically passed over the island and land behind it.  But since the target disappeared, the game mechanics won't let you lob shells over the island if your reticle is not "over" water with an island in the way.

• Cool 1

[LWA]
Members
688 posts
10,483 battles
1 hour ago, NCC81701 said:

You should make sure you have the terrain hit indicator turned on in the settings (lower left of the control settings panel). 

yes, it was on.  And, with the ship targeted I had a clear shot.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,330 posts
7,694 battles
1 minute ago, db4100 said:

I am not asking for my shells to pass through the terrain.  You obviously don't get what is going on here.  If my target was visible and locked on, my shells would have automatically passed over the island and land behind it.  But since the target disappeared, the game mechanics won't let you lob shells over the island if your reticle is not "over" water with an island in the way.

I think what really happened is that what I posted went over your head. It was part poking fun at the devs and part sarcasm

[SIDE]
Members
2,239 posts
54 minutes ago, zarth12 said:

Careful what you wish for. Dd would absolutely get wrecked.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
574 posts
1 hour ago, zarth12 said:

^^^^^^^^^^

Loved this!!! Please make torpedos behave as Radar!!!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,488 posts
2 hours ago, 44_percenter said:

You can still manually shoot over the island, but you need to know the exact range to the target, and then hold down the Alt key, and adjust elevation to that range. If you click just as the ship disappears, that's not going to happen. I think I will turn on the alt UI. FWIW I agree that the range changing just because the lock ends is completely preposterous. The range should stay what it was unless YOU change it. This is part of the reason I try to remember range while I'm aiming. But if the target is sailing in a different direction, it's difficult to guess the lead.

That doesn't work though. Even when holding the ALT key the guns will range to whatever your aimpoint is looking at.

It'd make a ton of sense if it worked like you say but sadly it does not.

Members
175 posts
1,948 battles

You are making it really hard on yourself but not having the Alt. Battle Interface on.  If you adjusted for the elevation change just as the lock on was lost you may have had better luck with the shot.

[LWA]
Members
688 posts
10,483 battles
1 hour ago, zarth12 said:

I think what really happened is that what I posted went over your head. It was part poking fun at the devs and part sarcasm

yeah, I can see the sarcasm now.  You cool.

Beta Testers
1,714 posts
3,833 battles
3 hours ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Well I am fine with it as it has the appeal of mid range sniping 14k. I had to setup survivability build just to make it work. I am sure they could find a way to add a catapult on the turret since they are doing that for the lower tier ships why not for Ashitaka at least then it would have something. Even adding torpedo tubes would make sense 

[LWA]
Members
688 posts
10,483 battles
4 hours ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

I am a average player and I can do alright in it.  I haven't even been using flags yet.  It is not that bad.

shot-18.04.26_19.23.05-0043.jpg

shot-18.04.26_19.23.00-0611.jpg

[CAST]
Members
1,623 posts
8,141 battles

The problem with losing target lock, is that aiming is dictated by line of site.  Without target lock, if you aim at an elevation where it intersects an island, the shots will hit the island.  If you raise the guns so that the shots will go over the island, your aim is at a far off target way beyond the island, and not directly behind the island.  The X mod allows you to aim at a spot and the guns will elevate accordingly, which is essentially a target lock on a spot rather than a ship, although with the dispersion penalty.  I wish we could manually type in a distance to target and have the guns elevate to hit that distance.  It would be great for hitting ships hiding behind islands.

For torps through islands:  I actually saw a torp come through an island in a game about 2 months ago.  I saw the torps coming in front of the island (the ones that were going to pass by).  It surprised me when one of the torps passed through the island.  It missed my ship and I wasn't quick enough to do a screen cap.  I don't know if it would have actually done any damage or if it was just a rendered image of the torp without the actual torp.

[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
2,881 battles
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, Skyfaller said:

That doesn't work though. Even when holding the ALT key the guns will range to whatever your aimpoint is looking at.

It'd make a ton of sense if it worked like you say but sadly it does not.

Yes, the elevation jumps even when holding the Alt key the whole time, but you can adjust it back. The gun range displays beside the target reticle. You need to remember the range to target. I didn't say holding the Alt key keeps the range from jumping. I said it lets you manually fire at a range.

Sign in to follow this