Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
landedkiller

3d metal printing

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,713 posts
3,833 battles

https://newatlas.com/desktop-metal-3d-printing/50654/

This is an interesting new technology that I think could be adapted to produce scale models of old battleships or for use in the construction of parts for new warships. I know it's new, just imagine what one could make with this technology concept ships lost to history could be made. I haven't seen anyone post about this exciting new advance in construction so what are your thoughts on this new technology?

• Cool 1

[NSC]
[NSC]
Members
247 posts
5,403 battles

If I had the cash to spare, I'd be buying into the outfits that are building these machines.

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,606 battles

I've got a printer that'll do ABS or PLA plastic, and I want one that does metal but they're too damn expensive still.

All I need are some quality stl files to print ships which there are sadly few of.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,842 posts
3,584 battles

For those who don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars to drop on an actual metal printer, but who want a metal item, there's always lost-PLA casting.

You 3D print an item in PLA plastic, cast a plaster/sand/whatever mold around it, and then put it in a kiln to melt out the plastic core.  You then melt down aluminum cans or other such sources, and cast the molten metal into the casting you've created.

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

Amazing! Technology is progressing so quickly, it's insane! Would the machine not get too hot to put in a public place like a standard paper printer? How hot would it need to be to melt and reshape metal? 

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles
On 4/28/2018 at 1:07 PM, Chimera2 said:

You build one these things big enough and you can just print out real ship hulls.

I like how you think, haha. But seriously, I think this would be an awesome alternative to existing systems. I wonder how much it would cost though. Unfortunately, probably more than the average person could easily afford. 

Beta Testers
79 posts

I am a model railroader. I work in O Gauge. I would like to build the ship harbor repair facility for a lay out. I know it will be fairly large. I need to either get the prints or drawings that

where used to create it. I have already found gantry cranes from Lionel that will work. I think for the warehouse district I could probably use a girders and panel set. I need to figure

out how to get ship plans for the ships I want in facility so I can convert to 1/48 scale. Problem is I don't know who to ask at wargaming.

Sign in to follow this