Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Smoke Generator Modification 1

10 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
5,785 posts
9,443 battles

Still haven't committed this to a DD yet. Vaguely thinking of putting it on Grozo, if ever take up the grind, or on Shimakaze.

If remember correctly, it's only RN CLs that don't benefit as much from it, and I'm not running my Minotaur as of weeks ago because she needs a lot of cover to be effective.

[DRACS]
Members
4,436 posts

Honestly, I consider it a waste on any destroyer.

SGM1 only extends the duration of the smoke puffing ... so how many puffs you put out. But it also makes the actual smoke cloud duration drop a little. More importantly, it's in the same slot as AA guns mod 2 and Aiming System Mod 1 (which increases the rotation speed of your torpedoes as well as tightening your dispersion).

So in fact, if anything, it's probably best on an RN CL since you only get a very short duration puff and often don't manage to slow down enough before you drift out of you last cloud. And it's probably amazingly good on Perth since she's all about the puffing. Come to think of it, I shouldn't have sold this mod since I have a Perth in port despite never using her.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,744 posts
28,599 battles
5 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

SGM1 only extends the duration of the smoke puffing ... so how many puffs you put out. But it also makes the actual smoke cloud duration drop a little. More importantly, it's in the same slot as AA guns mod 2 and Aiming System Mod 1 (which increases the rotation speed of your torpedoes as well as tightening your dispersion).

So in fact, if anything, it's probably best on an RN CL since you only get a very short duration puff and often don't manage to slow down enough before you drift out of you last cloud. And it's probably amazingly good on Perth since she's all about the puffing. Come to think of it, I shouldn't have sold this mod since I have a Perth in port despite never using her.

It was marginally useful on an RN CL before their smoke was buffed. Originally they only had 2 and sometimes only 1 puff of smoke. Now you can do a crash dive from almost full speed and still stay in the last puff. 3 or 4 puffs now(?)

[WOLF9]
Members
8,951 posts
4,184 battles
14 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Not sure I agree with you.  I recently deployed it on Fubuki to see what it can do.  Helps with the smoke, I guess, but Fubuki cannot be considered a gun DD so sitting in smoke isn't a real benefit to him, though it might help teammates that you've smoked.

Instead, I'll look at the alternatives. 

• Fubuki AA pretty much sucks, but a boost might be useful in some situations: AA Mod -- maybe.
  • Aiming Systems Mod - I make it a point to try not to use my guns unless forced, which means only when detected and close.  Dispersion isn't much of a factor in close.  Torp mount rotation is already good enough.  Meh.
  • Main Battery Mod - Turret speed is abysmal, true.  But saving 4,5 sec, on rotation is already of questionable benefit vs. loss of reload time. 

The point is that none of the alternatives are compelling on this bote.

Smoke Mod might make sense on a gun DD with good smoke duration, e.g. USN DDs?

[WOLF9]
Members
8,951 posts
4,184 battles
54 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Take a look here... it can be beneficial but the Perth is amazing with it.

Thanks.  I'd missed that.

Okay Perth, but the thing that strikes me is how mingy that "bonus" actually works out to be for ships that benefit from it at all:  on the order of 2 seconds

I think I'll put it back in the garage.

[LOU1]
Members
3,600 posts
9,581 battles
4 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Thanks.  I'd missed that.

Okay Perth, but the thing that strikes me is how mingy that "bonus" actually works out to be for ships that benefit from it at all:  on the order of 2 seconds

I think I'll put it back in the garage.

26 seconds for Perth.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,785 posts
9,443 battles
13 hours ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Take a look here... it can be beneficial but the Perth is amazing with it.

Given that, I'll probably save it for when decide to grind to Fletcher.

Sign in to follow this